Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I this is for mr DJ SPY, I thik his net is down, so Slip joints in the tail shaft have gone, More to the point flogged out. They have a lot of movement in them, so is there a fix fot it????? Patrol has a sping over so so It may be tat the slip joints are almost at the max!!!!
He took it to a mechanic, and he told him that it was because of the 33's. see you can get get a mechanics ticket from a weeties box too.:D

So can some one help??? I posted on driveline section too.

·
Registered
331 Posts
depends how flogged out they are but, you might be able to take it to a workshop and get it extended 150 mm or what ever you need to get it back down to where it would normally sit.

BUT DONT TRY TO DO IT YOURSELF!!! (unless of course you are a boily) it would not be great to have it breaking off from dogey welding it would also be a bit tricky getting it balanced just right

·
nissan
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah at the moment i'm sure if it is over extended or it is flogged out, I was thinking a spacer at the diff, it has been done before and spoken of in baja burleys spring reversal thread.

i was thinking alone the lines off heatin and shrinking????? not sure thats why i ask...

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
BUT DONT TRY TO DO IT YOURSELF!!! (unless of course you are a boily) it would not be great to have it breaking off from dogey welding it would also be a bit tricky getting it balanced just right
seems quite a few people do it, i think jelmer mentioned a few weeks back he cut his in half and slipped another pipe either into or over the existing one to give it the extra length. you can then take your fab'd up driveshaft to a driveshaft joint and get it balanced rather cheap (compared to the 500+ they would charge you to extend it).

·
nissan
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
front tail shaft is not so much of an issus with balance, as it does not useally spin that fast due to 4'by work being slow going. But rear shaft really should be balanced.

cheers big blue, I have a few spares and he has a front one there.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
The rear tailshafts between MQ/MK have different lengths from factory depending on driveline combo

·
nissan
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did not think of that, it has a 5 speed. whicjh of the gear boxes had the longer tail shaft the 4 or the 5????

·
nissan
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well this might be an option i think i have a 4 speed tail shaft floating about, even if it is a little long I guess you could cut the slip joint down a little to make a better fit. Thanks for the info nerok!!!

·
Registered
nissan
639 Posts
thank you all for the info i have finally got my net back but i did forget to tell you that one coils im going to go and inspect it today.... instead of a 9 leaf spring set up in the back could i run with 5 leaf springs like the front ????

·
nissan
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
problem is that the 5 will flex well but they are a little light to be running in a diesel front end, due to th weight of the old sd33.

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk
3,306 Posts
instead of a 9 leaf spring set up in the back could i run with 5 leaf springs
yes you could :cool: just be aware that when it gets softer in the rear, you'll find it way more affected to sharp cornering and also, if you are towing or adding alot of weight in the back, the leaves will be sagging alot more :toothmis:

it's always a game for comfort/ flex/ drivability

the above problem won't affect you if you still have your sway bar in, but who does that in these stiff old trucks?? :lol:

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk
3,306 Posts
I can't see from your avatar if it's a long wheel base or short wheel base car, in any case, I'd probably not remove that many leaves to start with. Go two if it's a LWB and 3 if it's a SWB

some of the leaves are long supporting leaves, of those I'd only remove one perhaps another one that stretches half the length of the leaf pack and a bottom one... Experimentation is key :D

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk
3,306 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I should really have had a look at that page before, but I was just wondering, I've got an SD33 4-speed, which suggests that I have the same length front and rear shaft, are they interchangeable?
yer they will swap, but have a look at the pictures at the bottom of the page, the front one is tiny compared to the rear.

·
Registered
nissan
639 Posts
kk well i dont think its the tail shaft now as i also found some thing wrong with the left hand rear brake i know this is a stupid question but how do i pull it all apart i mean the i cilender and stuff

·
Registered
nissan
639 Posts
even thought i have put a post in the wanted dose any one have a spare rear tail shaft they wanna sell just pm me

1 - 18 of 18 Posts