Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol 1999 td42
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, hope you all are well great forum you got going on here,

you see i have had the 1999 y61 td42 since 2007, it has about only 140,000kms on the clock. Last year around june my car went for a respray, and after that it appeared the clutch was sipping so we had the work shop change the pressure, clutch and release bearing, fast forward to feb 2015
i was going across the ferry to south beach in heavy traffic, i noticed the clutch started to slip again and the pedal felt really soft, but once out of traffic and a few pumps it stopped slipping and i got this slight burning smell, from it dint slip again nor smell, till few days ago when i was on my way to the airport again in heavy traffic, it really started to slip alot, till the point that while in 1st gear and clutch released it would take 15 seconds before the car would move also pedal was really soft and going all the way to the floor and when coming back up felt rough, i gently nursed the car back home, drove it yest to the work shop it did not show any signs of slipping nor were there any oil leaks near gear box, nor any leaks near master cylinder. Since i have had this car i have never changed the master slave cylinder, clutch booster or clutch master cylinder or fly wheel, do you guys feel this could be the cause as i have only done 3000kms since the new clutch was put in. i have got an appointment the week after the coming week and my mechanic says i need a new clutch booster as the pedal feels hard after pumping the first time. Any advice or suggestions will be very much appreciated, i really love this car it has got me through alot of rough roads and mud and taken me to very many memorable fishing trips also hate seeing it have this problem and really need to find a solution, what i have noticed it seems to happen when the car has been running a while and esp in situations of heavy traffic where the clutch pedal is used alot,

Thanks

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
The booster is probably fine, They aren't designed to be pumped and takes time for the vacuum to build back up, especially at low revs.
Unless it is the clutch itself again you might need to adjust the push rod behind the clutch master. the easy way to tell is feeling how far down the pedal goes to release the clutch. If it happens as soon as you touch the pedal then it needs adjusting, if it happens down low then its not that ( check it again at the time it starts playing up)

·
Registered
nissan patrol 1999 td42
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi outback thanks for your suggestion. Just checked now that when i press the clutch pedal theres a bit of play before it goes down and starts to release.

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
Are you sure the slave cylinder is letting the clutch fork release quickly.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
Hi outback thanks for your suggestion. Just checked now that when i press the clutch pedal theres a bit of play before it goes down and starts to release.

Make sure you check it when its playing up too, as the slave lives next to the exhaust and when it warms the oil might be just enough to move it

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,179 Posts
Any fluid expansion will just return to the master cyl,not pressurise the slave.This is a head

scratcher,if the pushrod is correctly adjusted,there is no oil on the flywheel,the bearing is

not contacting the cover plate fingers -can you move the fork by hand to check freeplay ?

----the cover/pressure plate is not applying enough clamping force,so clutch slips-replace

with quality pressure plate,driven plate and thrust bearing--check the bearing carrier is the

correct one to get freeplay. my 2c

Cheers,G.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 1999 td42
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi guys,

sorry its been some time, last week just got the clutch booster, master cylinder and slave cylinder replaced, after that i asked the guys to drop the box and we found that the clutch plate was stuck on the flywheel, however there was no oil contamination, also noticed the clutch plate was worn out more on one side, we there in a new one and soo far everything seems to be working fine done only 120kms with the car and no issues soo far tomorrow will take it for a drive out of town about 200kms and see how it behaves, i wonder what caused it to stick to the fly wheel in the first place, luckily there was no damage to the flywheel.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
did you get the flywheel machined? This is normal practice so that the new clutch beds in on a clean flywheel, if they didn't do that for you then it could have resulted in a failure to bed properly, and early failure of the new clutch.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 1999 td42
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi Andrew,

we dint get the fly wheel machined they inspected it and said there was no need the just lightly sanded off the grit from the old clutch plate and it was very clean after this with a smooth surface.

thanks

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I wonder if the plate was sticking on the spline? It's odd that it had worn only on one side so perhaps it simply wasn't free to move up and down the shaft.

Did your mechanic closely inspect the shaft for signs of wear and/or lipping?

·
Registered
nissan patrol 1999 td42
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi yeah he inspected the shaft for any sings for wear and found none, it could be that maybe the old clutch plate was defective to begin with, or maybe was not aligned and installed correctly, the parts i installed this time around are all genuine nissan parts,

do you guys think that a master cylinder, slave cylinder and clutch booster that is on the verge of failing could cause the clutch plate to stick or not release from the fly wheel properly?

also now i recall that when we first got the clutch done last year, when in free gear and i rev the car up all of a sudden above 2500 there would be this feel as if something briefly would be rubbing i dint think too much of it then but now with the new parts installed i checked for the same thing but its not there and feels normal.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
do you guys think that a master cylinder, slave cylinder and clutch booster that is on the verge of failing could cause the clutch plate to stick or not release from the fly wheel properly?

No, I don't think so. If any of those parts were unserviceable you would feel it in the clutch pedal, ie no pressure to be felt (in the case of one or both of the cylinders) or way too heavy (in the case of failed vacuum booster).

·
Registered
nissan patrol 1999 td42
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i tested the car out yesterday feels really good and had no signs of clutch slippage, drove it 200kms on tarmac and 54kms on very sandy roads at our farm shows no bad signs as far as i can tell, also the color of the clutch fluid is the same and clear, when releasing the clutch pedal is nice and smooth unlike before it was very rough and even spongy at times when pressing. i guess only time will tell however before the parts were changed when the cars engine bay gets warm after driving in traffic and over some time thats when the thing would start slipping and acting up so far the signs look good :)

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Good to hear, mate. Keep us posted.

BTW I'm from your neck of the woods - born in Zim...

·
Registered
nissan patrol 1999 td42
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi burra good to hear i know one family whos been in tanzania for a while they from zim too. They based up north. We fish together the guys called Steve

yeah will keep you guys posted. I was wondering what kind of fly wheel wld my model come with as stock dmf or solid

cheers

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
My 99 has a solid flywheel and to the best of my knowledge so do all the other TD42s

·
Registered
nissan patrol 1999 td42
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info took it across the ferry right till the end past way kimbiji and back still seems to work well no issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts