Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I have a couple of issues with my old GQ that would like to resolve and if you could help that'd be awesome! I'm not terribly handy with mechanics/electrical etc. so all tips/tricks and advice is appreciated.

My 95 GQ DX4.2 is touching 440xxx and has never missed a beat. Until the last couple of months when things have started to all happen at once.

1- I had a faulty glow plug relay two years ago, that the auto sparky discovered and causing issues with fuses. He removed it and bipassed it with another fuse. Since then no glow plugs have been used. I live in Karratha, so the cold start hasnt been an issue until this year since we've had quite a cold snap in the mornings.
now she doesnt crank over for 5 - 10 secs with me pumping the accelerator pedal to the floor constantly and then blows a tonne of white smoke out. Surely annoying the neighbours.
Dont no if its just the relay needing replacing or glow plugs also. or more involved??

2 - The old girl also has started to idle sluggish and a couple of times just shut herself off, like there was no fuel or something. any thoughts?

3 - and now I own a caravan and it pulls fine but WILL not get over 80km p/h. doesnt run hot though. Just continually changing down gears to get the revs up. luckily up here not so many hills. but i wasnt even fully laden so can only imagine it will be lucky to get to 70km p/h fully loaded. any ideas? turbo/exhaust upgrades etc??

Thanks in advance everyone!!

LPS

·
Registered
nissan
274 Posts
1. get your sparky mate to hook up a simple glow relay where you push a button on your dash it powers the glow plugs until you let go and then crank the car over
thats your first issue fixed.
2. Does this happen only on cold mornings? if so it could be the above issue.

3. what size/weight caravan do you own? non turbo td42s are slugs at the best of times let alone towing something big.

I would do the basics though, check your air filter to make sure its in good condition (that includes the prefilter if you have one) then check and replace the fuel filter.

Another thing where others can help is (and you might need to go to a mech for this) there is a little gauze filter inside your injector pump that can clog up over time. SOME patrols have it some don't --- still worth a look.

·
Registered
nissan
1,867 Posts
Definitely get the glow plugs running again they're there for a reason, do you replace the fuel and air filters on a regular basis at least according to the manufactures specs.. A turbo and exhaust with a snorkel would make the biggest difference if the motor is in good nick and most people get rid of the pre filter which apparently restricts air flow as the main filter is more than adequate to filter out dust. Or another option which is not as good as a turbo but will still make it better than standard is fit a snorkel if you don't have one and get a good brand of extractors/headers not el cheapo ebay one's and an exhaust system to suit. But just remember the bigger the exhaust the less backpressure you'll have so you'll be on the brakes a bit more especially when towing but you're in the hilliest part Aus anyway.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol/Maverick
593 Posts
Try a snorkel and exhaust, it helps a lot. I have the new bigger Safari snorkel and just fitted a free flow muffler in the rear with a 2 1/4" pipe to the flex keeping the std manifold and that has worked wonders

·
Registered
Nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

Hey timmay556 - A mate of mine did the same dash button for the glow plugs on his old GQ and loved it. Might be easier than trying to source a new original relay box.

And yes it does just struggle on these cold mornings. which are quite uncommon i might add. so im geting confident the issue could be resolved easier now.
Im towing a jayco expanda. 19ft and about 2400kg (from memory) so quite heavy.
Air filter is not too old. and checked regularly.

I have a good Safari snorkel. And so I think all your advice on the glow plugs and relay is compatible with the research i've done. So that is on the cards for this weekend if it's a DIY job. Or should I get an auto sparky for it???

A new muffler/exhaust without turbo is OK for extra power? Obviously the turbo would be key but looking to save a bit of cash before that job. So in the meantime would the fuel filter/glow plug relay/mufler and exhaust do the trick????

And I suppose with the ammount ok KMs she has already, is it even worth spending the money? Do you recommend doing the minimum and then upgrading once she goes to Patrol heaven, or spend the coin on her to keep her going and risk it ending anyway??

Thanks again!

·
Registered
nissan
1,867 Posts
If the motor is in good running order and serviced regularly compression is ok etc etc who knows how long it will keep running for it could be 100,000 km or 1,000,000 km.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol/Maverick
593 Posts
Thanks guys!

Hey timmay556 - A mate of mine did the same dash button for the glow plugs on his old GQ and loved it. Might be easier than trying to source a new original relay box.

And yes it does just struggle on these cold mornings. which are quite uncommon i might add. so im geting confident the issue could be resolved easier now.

Im towing a jayco expanda. 19ft and about 2400kg (from memory) so quite heavy.

Air filter is not too old. and checked regularly.

I have a good Safari snorkel. And so I think all your advice on the glow plugs and relay is compatible with the research i've done. So that is on the cards for this weekend if it's a DIY job. Or should I get an auto sparky for it???

A new muffler/exhaust without turbo is OK for extra power? Obviously the turbo would be key but looking to save a bit of cash before that job. So in the meantime would the fuel filter/glow plug relay/mufler and exhaust do the trick????

And I suppose with the ammount ok KMs she has already, is it even worth spending the money? Do you recommend doing the minimum and then upgrading once she goes to Patrol heaven, or spend the coin on her to keep her going and risk it ending anyway??

Thanks again!

Hi LPS,

Mine is on 370000. I wasn't keen on the extractors and 2.5" exhaust as it cost too much and didn't sound right for a diesel. May be perfect for a petrol but I wasn't convinced. The exhaust work I did was about $500, much better than the $1400 quoted for extractors. Mine kept the std manifold and only runs 2.25" between the flex pipe and the free flow box and 2" tailpipe.

I immediately noticed the difference as torque and driveability is improved. It's not faster but keep speeds better on hills and revs easier. Overtaking is also improved. I really recommend it as it's low cost and great benefit.

It isn't a turbo and wont be unless I fit one but I'm happy with what it is.

It also sounds AWESOME :)

Hope that helps you.

·
Registered
Nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the motor is in good running order and serviced regularly compression is ok etc etc who knows how long it will keep running for it could be 100,000 km or 1,000,000 km.
Very good point. It was quite a silly question I suppose. How long's a peice of string ay? :doh:

·
Registered
Nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi LPS,

Mine is on 370000. I wasn't keen on the extractors and 2.5" exhaust as it cost too much and didn't sound right for a diesel. May be perfect for a petrol but I wasn't convinced. The exhaust work I did was about $500, much better than the $1400 quoted for extractors. Mine kept the std manifold and only runs 2.25" between the flex pipe and the free flow box and 2" tailpipe.

I immediately noticed the difference as torque and driveability is improved. It's not faster but keep speeds better on hills and revs easier. Overtaking is also improved. I really recommend it as it's low cost and great benefit.

It isn't a turbo and wont be unless I fit one but I'm happy with what it is.

It also sounds AWESOME :)

Hope that helps you.
That does help, thanks matey!!

That kinda price is very appealing. And if it gets me through a few 100,000 more k's id be stoked! :bananaro: I suppose I am looking at the budget service and mods to get the best result. So I think from what you've all said here is keep doing basic, regular maintenance. Get my glow plugs firing hot, and get a new exhaust. This should be a minimum im hearing.

Paddy - did you fit the exhaust yourself??

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol/Maverick
593 Posts
Hi LPS, no a local exhaust joint so that price included fitment. I also haven't asked when last you replaced injectors? That was the single biggest difference I found. Mine lost speed up any hill until I replaced injectors now I keep speed up most but the steepest of hills in Victoria. My original injectors did 350000kms and I'm still on the original pump with the fuel opened a bit when tuned. So slightly smoky at slow speeds but perfect at higher speeds when the snorkel forces air in.

·
Registered
nissan
274 Posts
Mate if your towing 2400kg I'm supprised you can get to 70kmh.
Don't worry about an exhaust just tubro the thing

·
Registered
Nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi LPS, no a local exhaust joint so that price included fitment. I also haven't asked when last you replaced injectors? That was the single biggest difference I found. Mine lost speed up any hill until I replaced injectors now I keep speed up most but the steepest of hills in Victoria. My original injectors did 350000kms and I'm still on the original pump with the fuel opened a bit when tuned. So slightly smoky at slow speeds but perfect at higher speeds when the snorkel forces air in.
Hi Paddy,

Thats still an awesome price when including install. I'll have to get a few quotes up here as we have a thing called the "pilbara tax", things get a little expensive with that.
Regarding injectors. I cannot tell you when they were last replaced. Ive had the girl for 6 years and I havent changed them. Can only assume they havent. If you can keep speed on hills in Vico than I'll do just fine over here.
Ive read about people opening their fuel. But have no idea what that means. Is that DIY??
Cheers!

·
Registered
Nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mate if your towing 2400kg I'm supprised you can get to 70kmh.
Don't worry about an exhaust just tubro the thing
HAHA!! Me to mate.

The problem with turbo is the price tag. Somewhere between $2-3000. And thats not including install. That takes me back to the original post of whether to buy something else or risk spending money on this girl and her calling it quits not long after.

Maybe a refurb of the engine and compression test to see where shes at prior to installing turbo?? What do you think?

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
274 Posts
I've learnt the hard way on this one.
If you have a wagon that you know the history of etc then get a compression test and if all good turbo it.
As long as the running gear has been maintained then its Good for a million k's.

Better the devil you know

·
Registered
Nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've learnt the hard way on this one.
If you have a wagon that you know the history of etc then get a compression test and if all good turbo it.
As long as the running gear has been maintained then its Good for a million k's.

Better the devil you know
Yer I trust the previous owners have looked after her and Ive done my best also.

I will get a compression test done soon then.

I'm changing the fuel filter today to see if that helps a little also. Might clean up some of that white smoke.

Cheers again!

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol/Maverick
593 Posts
Hi LPS, mine had a DIY fuel screw tune which meant it was way too rich for only a few KW extra compared to the current tune. I then fitted the injectors and then had it dyno tuned. They basically just tested the mixture and turned the screw back. It went from 57kw on the wheels to 53rwkw on 31's. They dyno tune it so you can have enough fuel to match the airflow at higher speed. It overfuels(read smokes) a bit at lower speeds but it pulls very strongly above 90kmh with very little smoke as it's then balanced. I got 11.46l/100kmh when we went down the Great Ocean road in December so I'm happy. Let us know how you go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts