Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas wanna read something funny?

Ha me and the Missus decided to got try get some redclaw today so we pack up the troll and off we todal....

Anyway no luck at the first spot so we decide to call it a day and head for home....... Bar bow, I had the bright idea that we should just have a bit of a sqout around the area for a less populated are that we could drop our pots and pick them up tomorrow without fear of them getting knocked off.

About 30 Minutes later we think we've found a pretty good spot (the gate was open so in we go).

Now I don't usually make the mistake of going where I know I shouldn't be...... But the redclaw, the redclaw.

So we are in this spot that is clearly gettin cleaned up after the floods and we decide against setting our traps and on that we try to leave we follow the track around to head out but there's some big rocks in the way....... Well it's been a while sencw I've locked the hubs so put we get lock the hubs and crawl forward, over the first rock..... Sweet........ Bang.......... No forward movement ok reverse....... Nope........ Argh bit of strife here we are alone, no tools only a snatch strap, a small shovel and a Nissan bottle jack,

To cut a long story shorter we spent 3 hours character building together and ended up using the rear wheel and snatch strap as a winch to get off the bloody rock that ha us held up we have finally damaged the Mk......... Badly bent gearbox crossmember and nasty rock rash to the fuel tank.

·
Registered
nissan
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah we ended up putting the traps in while I was grumpy( a means to relax and look at the problem in another way) and got 1 redclaw and 14 shrimp.....

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Bugger mate! You should have buzzed me to help ya out. Apparently they get some good redclaw down ay somerset dam?

·
Registered
nissan
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks man it was a very silly mistake but honestly I knew we would get out, as we had stuff around to use (logs, stones, shovel and bottle jack) it's just that when we came down on the rock we were left high and dry on the gearbox crossmember, a rear LSD would have really helped,

The rear right wheel was up against a rock and the rear left head spun all soil out from under it and the front locker just dug 2 trenches therefore lowering the front and raising the rear left higher.

Lol now I've been given permission to buy more recovery gear....... Like a winch,
Although I really think one of those exhaust jacks would of had us out in a jiffy.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Redclaw are like marron I'm assuming?? Or like large yabbies??

We go yabbying here in wa and it's absolutely crazy how many we get,
They are a noxious pest so can't put them back..

Bit off topic:)

Glad you got out okay

·
Registered
nissan
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah shark spot on they are a pest over here too.

I remember catching and eating them down in Vic when I was a kid, so much easier back then you could drive right up to the river bank, set up your traps, chairs esky and BBQ and relax for the day, now though you have to park away from waters edge carry all your stuff away making heaps of trips most of the time you can't see your truck so you got no tunes to chill with....... It will never be like it was again........ Maybe it's different down in Vic.

I'll take the traps with me when I go down next.

I'm going to start looking for property owners soon that will allow camping and fishing from there property.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Good work Tony ,
Well done
Time for a few bourbons or scotches
Seems like a good story to tell the mates down the pub

"Caught this big mo fo redclaw,freakin huge,aaaahhhhhhhh ya shoulda been there"

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
I got myself a big yabbie for a pet in a 4foot fish tank in the shed, He loves worms, ****roaches and KIDS FINGERS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts