Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today towing the trailer back from Tamworth and next thing loud explosion in Cab WTF, the small rear barn door glass has been hit with something from outside and shattered.
Maybe the Nissan threw a rock up bounced back off trailer then bang.
I've probably done 500k with a trailer on and never had it happen before.

What is the cheapest fix, second hand I suppose??

Next question does anyone have one in the Newcastle, Hunter Valley region as far as Tamworth NSW. Just send me a PM if you have one.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thats what insurance is for i suppose. Sorry to hear about your window mate . I know few people that have blown the back windows out with trailers ,and i think the best way to prevent it is a full mud flap accross the rear of your vehicle . good luck with the window .

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
It's a bit late now, but for the future; had some poly carbonate laying around from another job, and cut them out to window size, get about 18 suction rubbers from Clark and drill holes to suit.
I'm sure every day perspex would be just as good.
Smashed rear windows happen on outback roads, and a awful inconvenience and cost.

·
Registered
475 Posts
What I have on the barn door glass on both my Patrols is Altrex Light Skinz >>

Altrex - Altrex innovative automotive products and accessories

It's a sticky-back (peel & stick) vinyl material, approx. 2 - 3 mm thick, and I reckon if it's good enough to protect headlights from stone damage, it's good enough to protect my rear glass from same, which it has done for a few years now :)

It is available in 600mm width, & any length you may require, you'll probably have to order it from Repco, Bursons, or Autobarn.. some may have it in stock (1.5m length, which is enough to do both windows on a GU w/- some left over)...

What I did, was cut out templates from thick paper, marked & cut out the light-skinz material w/- about 1/8" (3mm) clearance between vinyl & window rubber, then sealed the edge with (black) auto silicone to prevent dust / moisture from working it's way under the vinyl (especially along the top)..

That's it.. done! .. permanent, and ya don't even notice it's there ;)

Only one downside.. DO NOT use ya rear wiper if there's any dirt /grime on the window, because it WILL scratch :-( , though Plexus (plastic cleaner / polish) will usually sort that out :)

I've tried the perspex & suction cap idea, quickly got sick of that (for a number of reasons), but now, with the light-skinz in place, no more worries ...

I've towed a campertrailer every which way across the country (& back), over many many thousands of km of unsealed roads / tracks, and though there are tell-tale paint chips on the rear doors, I still have all my glass, so as far as I'm concerned, the stuff has well and truly done it's job :) :)

:cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.