Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G-day peoples, just picked up the new 1998 GU and all is good except for the fuel economy seems way higher than some of the figures that i am seeing posted and it seems to blow a cloud of smoke that james bond would be proud of when down low in the revs. It has just had a new head fitted and has not been tuned since, so i was wondering if this is normal for the 2.8 TD or is there a fix OR will the tune sort this out. Forgive the dumb questions as this is the first Patrol i have owned.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
315 Posts
they will blow a cloud of smoke at low revs if you have the boot into it and haven't come onto boost yet. see the other recent fuel econo thread.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
If it does not clear up look back of the service details to see if they have serviced or replaced the Injectors or serviced the fuel pump. As they say if it clears up when the turbo spools up then it's not to much to panic over. It's always good to have a clean burning engine and getting it running clean will not cost a lot (no one like's a smoke belcher). If you have time do a engine oil flush (add double the required dose to really clean it out). Remove the sump pan and clean it out before fill new oil. I also drop about 3 or 4 liters down the engine to flush all the crap out. Also while cleaning out the sump you can get a good idea of how the engine is. Remove the air filter and run the engine for 5 minutes to suck lots of clean air around the engine and fix back a new air filter. Clean the MAF (search on here for how to do that)and replace the fuel filters but don’t add any fuel treatment to the engine.

Have the injectors and fuel injector pump cleaned and serviced.
Clean out the intercooler as best you can. leave it over night in Parafin and then clean it with brake line cleaner. I would also have this pressure tested.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Also run some fuel system cleaner through it, like chemtech or such. Will help.
But what are you getting, can go high 15-17L/100kms can be normal.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, fuel system cleaner, fuel pump and injectors all been done when the head was replaced.

Thanks jamestrol I saw the other thread after posting and it is only down low and not reving that she is clouding up the road but i was taking it easy because the way the fuel was being used up i thought it might help. It seems to me to be an imbalance between fuel/air mix ratios when not under load and turbo not hitting its straps.

I figure i am getting between 15 - 20 economy figures and that seems high too me.

Thanks Oilrig I know that oil and all the engine seals have been redone including flush only 1600 ks ago and the intercooler, inlet mani etc were cleaned when head was done as well.

I will pull out the MAf tommorrow and clean, i have just recieved my donator chip so i will fit that as well.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts