• Yes I smoke regularly

Votes: 49 20.9%
  • No I don't smoke

Votes: 133 56.8%
  • Social Smoker - I also smoke with friends who smoke

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Social smoker - Also when I drink alcohol

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I smoke and very much/just want to quit.

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • I enjoy my smoking habbits

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I know someone who smokes and want them to quit badly.

Votes: 41 17.5%
  • I know someone who smokes. Atleast 5 people.

Votes: 76 32.5%
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, this site has a pretty honest bunch of people when it comes to this topic after other threads about it.

Just click on what applies to you. you can pick more than 1 option.

Sorry this is more of a social experiment rather than something about patrols, but may have something interesting in it for all.

Cheers

:)

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
everytime i smoke, i hate myself a little bit more...

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Used to, as did the wife. Gave it before kids arrived, best thing ever.

Now not a rampant anti-smoker, but pubs clubs restaurants etc are so much nicer being smoke free.

·
Registered
Nissan
338 Posts
Used to, as did the wife. Gave it before kids arrived, best thing ever.

Now not a rampant anti-smoker, but pubs clubs restaurants etc are so much nicer being smoke free.
Great to read sentences like these.

I don't see the point in smoking really, its like to me people just go outside, take a cig out, light it up, suck it and smoke out air again. Like how boring is that, waste of time.

But thats how i just see it:p

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
My girlfriend smokes which I personally hate. Myself being a hard arse person, I have commented to her that if she is in hospital many years down the track due to smoking, I will not be there for her! This is self inflicted harm to ones body, just like drinking in excess.

Each to their own when it comes to smoking, but I believe that smoking is only allowed in todays society due to the TAX that our government collect from it.

Best thing these days is the club/pub scene where its a smoke free envivonment, it's so good being able to get up in the morning after going out and not having clothes that smell of cigarette smoke.

People who have been long time smokers that have given up, I take my hat off to you all.

This shows that you have the will to do it for the right reasons being health, family.

Smoking is/will be a burden on society in the future with possible medical treatment due to lung cancer etc.

Again, those that have given up, great effort there as it must be hard giving up an addictive habbit.

And a couple of my family/relatives have died from lung cancer in the past which is terrible when you are sitting around their death bed during their last days.

·
Registered
Nissan
338 Posts
My girlfriend smokes which I personally hate. Myself being a hard arse person, I have commented to her that if she is in hospital many years down the track due to smoking, I will not be there for her! This is self inflicted harm to ones body, just like drinking in excess.

Each to their own when it comes to smoking, but I believe that smoking is only allowed in todays society due to the TAX that our government collect from it.

Best thing these days is the club/pub scene where its a smoke free envivonment, it's so good being able to get up in the morning after going out and not having clothes that smell of cigarette smoke.

People who have been long time smokers that have given up, I take my hat off to you all.

This shows that you have the will to do it for the right reasons being health, family.

Smoking is/will be a burden on society in the future with possible medical treatment due to lung cancer etc.

Again, those that have given up, great effort there as it must be hard giving up an addictive habbit.

And a couple of my family/relatives have died from lung cancer in the past.
Good to read that you wouldn't support your own girlfriend for smoking! :p. But really, don't even give her cash for smokes.

My mates girlfriend has a cig after sex (NO I DIDNT WITH HER), he finds it really fustrating/disgusting but he loves the chick.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Smoking really sucks the life out of you.

Good to read that you wouldn't support your own girlfriend for smoking! :p. But really, don't even give her cash for smokes.

My mates girlfriend has a cig after sex (NO I DIDNT WITH HER), he finds it really fustrating/disgusting but he loves the chick.
Tried to take the money away, that did not work. But I don't see a cent from her pay check either.

She used to smoke after you know what, she always wants a smoke before going to bed, YUK.

I now make her brush her teeth again before getting into bed, gee, that pisses her off, but she does or no kiss good night and if she does'nt, the cold shoulder for the night, or she can sleep on the couch!!!!

She wants to give up but has a few depressing issues that smoking helps her get through. At least she has cut back from 30 a day down to 10-15 since being with me over the last year.

The worst part is the coughing in the morning as she attempts to cough up her lungs, black tar chit and the likes, you know what I mean.

For me, the taste alone of the ciggy is enough for me to never take it up.

·
Registered
nissan
161 Posts
Alway's hated it, mum used to cut my hair (bowl cut whilst pissed) and blow the hair out of my eyes ;-)

Cancer from smoking took my Granddad's, Dad, Sisters left lung, half my brothers tongue and several distant relatives so it appeals little to me.

I get my kicks from racing motorcycles and now 4WDing :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
338 Posts
Yeah cancers pretty bad.Thats why I only smoke tyres now.Ive heard its good for the adrenal glands

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,248 Posts
You forgot to mention I mix my tobacco with... or I know someone that mixes there tobacco! :D Not me though, but I know a few that should stop.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,683 Posts
I gave up around 18months ago.
It's one of the best things I have ever done. :)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Tried to take the money away, that did not work. But I don't see a cent from her pay check either.

She used to smoke after you know what, she always wants a smoke before going to bed, YUK.

I now make her brush her teeth again before getting into bed, gee, that pisses her off, but she does or no kiss good night and if she does'nt, the cold shoulder for the night, or she can sleep on the couch!!!!

She wants to give up but has a few depressing issues that smoking helps her get through. At least she has cut back from 30 a day down to 10-15 since being with me over the last year.

The worst part is the coughing in the morning as she attempts to cough up her lungs, black tar chit and the likes, you know what I mean.

For me, the taste alone of the ciggy is enough for me to never take it up.
Amazing how many people get with people then expect them to change/bend to there will

Great to read sentences like these.

I don't see the point in smoking really, its like to me people just go outside, take a cig out, light it up, suck it and smoke out air again. Like how boring is that, waste of time.

But thats how i just see it:p
Bit like a beer aye, waste of time and money as ya just piss it back down the toilet

one thing a lot of you none smokers fail to understand is you think 75% of smokers want to smoke, it's one of the most addictive substances, and well known to be one of the hardest addictions to break, just remember it is a nasty drug that rules your life, and yes I smoke and have done since I was a teenager now if I had my time again would I smoke hell know, can I give it up tried a few times haven't succeeded yet :(

when thinking about or looking down on us smokers, were are not mindless fools that are intensionally killing our selves by choice ;) here is an example I smoked another form of green tobaco for nearly 14 years gave that the flick no problems,as for ciggies that's a whole different ball game to manage

Reactions: lindsay80587

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeh I was thinking about the alternatives to tobacco, but felt it was irrelevant to what I wanted to know, frankly if your into the wakky tobakky in a concernable fashion, seek help. Ive seen that stuff wreck lives many times....but thats another topic

And yeh, Im interested in this as everyone in my immediate family STILL freakin smokes, as do I occasionally when I have a few brews. So Im trying anything really to get them all off it.

·
Registered
Nissan
338 Posts
You forgot to mention I mix my tobacco with... or I know someone that mixes there tobacco! :D Not me though, but I know a few that should stop.
Haha, mixs with what... beer?
I gave up around 18months ago.
It's one of the best things I have ever done. :)
Great to hear mate,

What things have you improved on? More family time? More cash? Would be great to know.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,791 Posts
Hi bigbear, none of the choices seemed to fit. I smoked from 16-40, quit for 6 months some years ago but started right up again when I went back to Africa.....

I dropped the ciggys cold a few months ago so my 3 year old and bun in the oven would not see a parent puff'n away.

If not for the rug rats I would never have quit.

So:
No I don't smoke but in the past

Yes I smoke regularly

I enjoy my smoking habbits

I know someone who smokes. Atleast 5 people.

If anyone wants a good way to cold turkey I'll tell ya what I did.

Smoke free and lov'n it....now.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Amazing how many people get with people then expect them to change/bend to there will
Not at all like that mate. I stated from the begining of relationship that I am not prepared to have a relationship with a smoker. She wanted the relationship that SHE commited to giving up for our relationship & most importantly her health. Not the other way around mate.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
The problem with smoking its an addiction to the nicotine, like any other drug but not illegal.

I say, no one put the smoke in your mouth in the first place to cause the addiction. Sure for those that started when in High school, it was either peer pressure or its cool to be seen with a siggy in your mouth or only the cool kids smoke.

I chose not to smoke because of the health concerns & seeing family members dying from it, both my brother & sister still smoke after all these years & I don't want to chage them. Its their decision to harm their health/body.

In the end, its a the decision that was innitially made buy the smoker, and now its hard to give up, which is obvious, nicotine is a very addictive drug which is not an illegal substance.

To those that have seen the light & can see the benefits for their health & their family, well done guys & to those that choose to smoke, its your choice in life, I just don't support the habbit...

·
naturally asthmatic
4,395 Posts
Pretty much the same as Twinotter600. Except every time I quit (I quit more times than I can remember), I started back smoking on each work trip to Latin America. I smoked from the age of 16-47.

I know how to quite really easy. Just get so sick you have no desire to smoke. Now I find that cig smoke stinks. However, I still love the smell of cigar or a pipe, which is how I started smoking at 16. So far I am smoke free since the middle of March.

Personally, I think a lot of the cancers are not caused by the tobacco but by the chemicals they spray it with. The same thing for the cig paper.

·
Buy the Patrol Back
nissan patrol
1,460 Posts
5 weeks since I stopped and still haven't actually killed anyone yet.
pretty hard to do as I was a pack a day man for 28 years but so far so good....

·
Registered
518 Posts
30 a day for 20 years. Two years off em now, best thing ever, should have done it ages ago. Turned out to be easy to quit.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts