Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,346 Posts
Good job mate. Keep hitting it as hard you can and you'll get off it.

As we've discussed here a few times, quitting is the process of learning how to quit. Never give up trying!!

Whats your next goal?

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
11,909 Posts
Good job mate!! Keep it up. I had another crack at quiting a couple of months ago. Will have another go soon.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,931 Posts
I gave up a 60 a day habit in 1996, it was my third attempt and I did that one cold turkey. Tough gig but worth it both financially and health wise, I'm 70 and earlier this year I was diagnosed with emphysema courtesy of all my years of smoking, I'm actually lucky I did pull the pin when I did as what I have is borderline, it doesn't stop me from doing the things I want to but if I had continued it would be a different story.

Don't take any notice of the people who say smoking doesn't harm you, the evidence it does is overwhelming.

Keep up the good work mate.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,308 Posts
Congratulations, well done. Nearly 30 years for me. I did it cold turkey too, can be rough but is worth it. Stay strong young fella.

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
About 35 years off them now.

35years x 365days x 1.2packs av. x $30 = $459,900 present value.

It is a super financial decision and an even better health decision.

You and your clothes and your surrounds won't stink to high heaven any longer either.

You will soon be able to smell things and taste things again.

·
Registered
nissan
4,802 Posts
Yo dodge :)
Don't get hung up on the cold turkey thing. You don't get extra points for that. Use whatever means possible to get the result you want.
I used nicorette capsules for 6 months then patches for 3 months then cold turkey for the 20 years after that..
I still ask myself how I was ever that stupid for so long

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
Good job mate!! Keep it up. I had another crack at quiting a couple of months ago. Will have another go soon.
Doesn't matter how many times you try, every time is worthwhile. And you'll get there.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,720 Posts
Good on ya Dodge, keep at it.

I should really quit too. I tried a while ago, but started up again.

·
Registered
Nissan GU Patrol wagon 3ltr di
369 Posts
congratulations mate top effort,
6 days cold turkey is no easy task
ive just gone 12 months as of last week, it gets easier the longer you stick at it.

·
Registered
nissan
197 Posts
hardest for me was staying off the piss. once i was a few frothies deep id cave or would want them more than ever. stayed off the piss for about 3 months. saved even more money and felt even better.

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,104 Posts
Having never smoked in the first place I am not qualified to have an opinion, but I can say congratulations and the fact you are making a solid effort is very much to your credit.

I have no idea at what point it will become easier, I'd guess a couple of weeks but I'm sure everyone is different.

If it helps, any time it gets difficult maybe post in this thread and update and I'm sure there will be a flood of encouragement from whomever is online at the time, perhaps I can suggest a pile of us subscribe to this thread so if you are having a moment of doubt sing out knowing a pile of people will be aware of it within minutes and offer support, and likewise that offer extends to anyone else who chooses to quit too.

So my request is to everyone else, if Dodgeadog posts here he is having doubts, offer support if you're first on the scene :D

Maybe we can help a handful of smokers who wish to quit do so just a little bit easier to realise the financial and health benefits.

We all have our vices....

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,931 Posts
Yo dodge :)
Don't get hung up on the cold turkey thing. You don't get extra points for that. Use whatever means possible to get the result you want.
I used nicorette capsules for 6 months then patches for 3 months then cold turkey for the 20 years after that..
I still ask myself how I was ever that stupid for so long
I tried patches on the second attempt but had to give it away, some of these remedies don't suit all people, with me they caused overstated dreams almost hallucinatory, in vistavision, cinemascope, whatever, greatly interfering with sleep pattern and ultimately work, so cold turkey was my last option, off course this was years ago so chemical componentry may have changed for the better.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,346 Posts
I tried patches and I broke out in sweats and nervous shakes and hyper anxious. I cut them in half and still to much. I then relocated it to my thigh like some other dude suggested and my leg got twitchy. So patches are no good for me lol

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,931 Posts
I tried patches and I broke out in sweats and nervous shakes and hyper anxious. I cut them in half and still to much. I then relocated it to my thigh like some other dude suggested and my leg got twitchy. So patches are no good for me lol
So I wasn't alone! I remember talking to my mate who was my doctor at the time and he told me it can effect some people adversely but in different ways.

·
Registered
nissan
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Day 7
I was a bit flemie and weasie this morning.
Like I was smoking last night.(I swear I didn't)
Today was the hardest so far.
Thinking it will get harder before it gets easier.
One thing I do miss is my ash tray, going to set up a bin handy tomorrow.
Good to know about the patches.
A big part of it, is money for me so no patches or gum yet.
I have started drinking bourbon at night.
I opened a bottle of Jim Beam Single Barrel.
Cheers to one and all

1 - 20 of 43 Posts