Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two weeks ago i put some new swaybar connects from coventrys in my wagon today i went out for a play and as i was climbing out of a washout i heard a bang only to find my new swaybar connect snapped clean in half right in the middle.My question is do they normally snap or is it just the bushes that normally flog out? Also should i go back to the factory connects that seem to last or does someone out there bombproof ones for a reasonable price?

Attachments

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
I have seen them break in half and also the balljoint pull out of the ends. Superior Engineering make some heavy duty ones for $205. Roadsafe have also started making heavy duty ones too, I'm going to give some a try on my ute.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
knocked up heavy duty ones out of 16mm shaft, no breakages so far. one side has disconect pin
Not a bad idea Coxy i might have to talk to the boys at work and see if they can knock something up. I see your from Auckland i'm from Mount Maunganui but i've been in Aussie since 99

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU 2.8TD
135 Posts
the answer is simple.. remove the sway bars lol

·
Registered
nissan
11,119 Posts
i can only assume you have a lift? are these sway bar link pins extended to suit the lift? if so id say there is your reason for the explosion. they are to short. and when thay wheel has dropped down there she blows, trying to hold up about 70kgs for more she just coulnt take any more punishment.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Benos i only have a 2 inch lift . The factory swaybar connects have been on there since new (02) and through several 2 inch suspension upgrades over the years with no problems except for the bushes flogging out. So two weeks ago i brought some Nolathane aftermarket ones from Coventrys and they only lasted about as long as it took me to engauge low range so i'm putting it down to a dodgy batch or cheap steel. I am running around with no swaybar at the moment and it doesn't seem to bad.

·
Registered
nissan
1,175 Posts
With my GU Wagon with a 2'' lift, ive just fitted two commodore link pins to return the swaybar to closer to factory design angles.

On the drivers side i used a VY commodore front link pin, these are the same as the nissan one, but a extra couple of inches longer.

On the passenger side (the side you show broken) i used a VE commodore LHF link pin, the two together on the rear place the sway bar at horizontally level (parallel with the road)

Below shows the LHF VE link pin (longer) beside the factory Nissan LHR link pin from the GU

Will report back after ive used it off road for a while

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Mine had stock swaybar links with the ARB-fitted extension brackets to suit 2" OME lift - fitted from new.

I broke a link at 32,000k, and went to Repco and bought Nolathane links that are 2" longer than stock ($95 for the pair). Removed the ARB brackets, and in they went. The long one looks about the same as the VE unit that A4B posted, but the mounts don't have balljoints, they use red nolathane bushes instead.

It now has its nice road manners back, it was bloody awful with the rear swaybar disconnected.

I might sell the ARB brackets but not until I've seen how the Nolathane units handle the rough stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts