Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I've seen the price for snorkels for a TB45 ranges from about $250 (no name) - $550 (Safari), for a molded piece of plastic, why the difference? Trying to choose between Ironman Airforce and Safari, but is the $200 difference somehow worth it???
Cheers,
Dutchy

·
Registered
nissan
31 Posts
Got mine from eBay last week for $250 + postage
looks like a safari but with out the moulded name on the side
Fits ok could do with a extra bolt at the forward part of the external part of the snorkel :confused:
Not bad for the price but the hole saw cost me $118 :headwall:
Then because its on LPG i needed to install a balance pipe. Now its booked in for a gas tune cause its running like crap :(

Hope this helps if you have any questions just ask
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
G'day mate,
Yeah, I wondered if there really is a difference between no names and Safari's.... Don't need the balance pipe, I have injected gas and apparently don't need it....
$118 for a hole saw is pretty steep! Could have had it fitted for that I assume!
Cheers!

·
Registered
nissan
25 Posts
Hi there,
I bought a genuine safari for 418 bucks, Melbourne area. Installed it with help of a forum member who had the hole saw lying around (can't use it anymore, 2 cars was max, teeth blunt now even though it was a quality saw). Might be cheaper to have someone do it ( also add sikaflex or the like)...

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
G'day Joost....
Seems you bought yourself a GU then???

·
Registered
nissan
25 Posts
Yep, 2000 Ti, 4.5l with 186k, added some extras as you can see... Very happy so far!

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool! Where in Melbourne are you?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
12 Posts
Xtreme GU:

Where did you connect the balance pipe from - to??

How did you go with the gas tune??

·
Registered
nissan
31 Posts
Hey Cyrus
The last picture above shows where i installed the balance pipe its right where the intake pipe enters the engine bay and the other end goes onto the static air vent on the converter it should have a 90 degree plastic elbow

As for the tuning well that's a sore point at the moment :mad:
What was happening after installing the balance pipe it wanted to idle at 400 revs and had a big hesitation when taking off but no worries it was going in for a tune anyway so took it down to the local mechanic then he tried to tell me that the balance pipe had to come off so i told him if it was taken off it would stall when you put the clutch in at speed and he just gave me a blank look :roll:
Then he rings and tells me that the converters faulty and leaking and needs replacing and he wasn't going to let me take the patrol with out disconnecting the gas so I got that replaced. :headwall:
So as it stands at the moment its running fine but the snorkel hat needs to be on backwards because it backfires badly under deceleration and that's with the balance pipe fitted.

Its now booked in at an ARB center that have a dyno and a better understanding so hopefully will get sorted.

I was also thinking of maybe baffling the snorkel somehow or restricting the intake so its not feed so much air

Sorry for the rant
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
338 Posts
Xtreme Gu you have the brass elbow the wrong way.It has to sit inside the air tube so that the L in the brass elbow sits horizontal with the intake pipe,so the airflow can be regulated properly by the convertor ..Stevo

·
Registered
nissan
31 Posts
Xtreme Gu you have the brass elbow the wrong way.It has to sit inside the air tube so that the L in the brass elbow sits horizontal with the intake pipe,so the airflow can be regulated properly by the convertor ..Stevo
Ahhh yes that did cross my mind as it is as the moment it could cause a draft over the end and cause a negative pressure instead of a positive like it needs
Might play with it over the weekend
Thanks

·
Registered
nissan
446 Posts
I brought the genuine nissan one for mine cost me $400 from memory from local nissan sparts department. fitted it myself... Pretty easy if you are handy with the tools. The hole saw is mainly needed for the inner guard.. i cut the out side quarter with good pair of tin snips.. Lot quicker and no need to worry about heat burn with the paint there.

·
Registered
nissan
31 Posts
I wonder what the quality of the plastic is like in regard to UV durability on the chinese knock-offs?
Who knows, Its been a week and it hasn't fallen apart yet :lol: But i will just paint it black at the first sign of trouble which should block the UV

·
Registered
745 Posts
Who knows, Its been a week and it hasn't fallen apart yet :lol: But i will just paint it black at the first sign of trouble which should block the UV
I've been tossing up wether to by one of these cheap knock offs too, are you happy with the over all way it fitted up etc. its looks great in your photos. only real visual difference is it doesnt say safari on it. How do these actually mount to the pillar(next to the window). a great way to save a few dollars by buying the copy from what i can see so far.

Pete

·
Registered
nissan
31 Posts
Hi Peter in reply to your PM
Overall quality is great fitting was also straight forward the only issue was it could do with another bolt near the front of the external bit to close the gap a little about 5mm (see photo)
as for the tuning apart from the $800 bill from the first mechanic that didnt even come close to fixing it. ARB put it on there dyno and in an hour had it sorted he told me that the power curve was all over the place. all good now apart from a little rumble on deceleration which i think sounds good lol
I agree the safari one is way to expensive and im happy i went with the generic one

Hope this helps any further questions just ask
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
31 Posts
yeah i can just fit the end of my finger in there so it just the reflection making it look bigger.
its mounted like the safari one with a metal bracket and three screws and plastic things.
yep ive only got two in at the moment i need a right angle screw driver for the last one

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Cyrus
The last picture above shows where i installed the balance pipe its right where the intake pipe enters the engine bay and the other end goes onto the static air vent on the converter it should have a 90 degree plastic elbow

As for the tuning well that's a sore point at the moment :mad:
What was happening after installing the balance pipe it wanted to idle at 400 revs and had a big hesitation when taking off but no worries it was going in for a tune anyway so took it down to the local mechanic then he tried to tell me that the balance pipe had to come off so i told him if it was taken off it would stall when you put the clutch in at speed and he just gave me a blank look :roll:
Then he rings and tells me that the converters faulty and leaking and needs replacing and he wasn't going to let me take the patrol with out disconnecting the gas so I got that replaced. :headwall:
So as it stands at the moment its running fine but the snorkel hat needs to be on backwards because it backfires badly under deceleration and that's with the balance pipe fitted.

Its now booked in at an ARB center that have a dyno and a better understanding so hopefully will get sorted.

I was also thinking of maybe baffling the snorkel somehow or restricting the intake so its not feed so much air

Sorry for the rant
Cheers
Hey mate new to the patrols looking to buy a cheep snorkel just wondering what kind will fit my car or if as long as it says GU it will fit ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts