Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I had a Safari Snorkel fitted by Westside 4x4 at Sumner ages ago. I never gave it much thought as it was professionally fitted.

I had a look at the air box today and noticed there was a load of silicone or similar plastered around where the airbox connected into the inner wing and into the snorkel sections in the wing. see the pic.

The silicone was dried and cracked up. A wiggle of the airbox showed how it can move on its mounts where as the connection in the wing is fixed. I'd imagine the box vibrates with road vibrations and cracked the old silicone.

Is this how the snorkel seals and is mine currently not sealed.

I'm taking it back to Westside 4x4 this week for them to have a look.

Grogey

Attachments

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
haha - did you expect much different? Professionals......

I better shut up now.

Just reseal it yourself using SIKAFLEX (225 should do the trick and can be had in black from bunnings). Silicone is no good for the engine bay, it does not cope well with heat or vibration.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
i'll put a vote up for sikaflex i had the same problem with sealing it works great.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha - did you expect much different? Professionals......

I better shut up now.

Just reseal it yourself using SIKAFLEX (225 should do the trick and can be had in black from bunnings). Silicone is no good for the engine bay, it does not cope well with heat or vibration.
Ok thanks.

So the rather expensive snorkel relies on a bit of sika flex where it connects to the airbox to keep water out. Brilliant.

From Safari - Snorkels

In arguably the best, if not toughest environment, Safari Snorkel Systems are thoroughly researched, tested and tooled for each unique model of popular 4WD in Australia. Genuine Safari Snorkels - the snorkel trusted by Australians.

Safari Snorkel Systems are manufactured to the highest standards in durable, UV stable, cross linked polyethylene material and deliver a continuous and cooler supply of air for maximum engine performance. Each system includes quality fixtures and fittings that deliver superior sealing, OEM levels of presentation and long-term durability.

In addition, Safari Snorkels are positively sealed in order to provide the engine with the ultimate in protection during river crossings and dusty desert driving conditions.

Do you think this a botched installation or is it how its done on every GU?

the snorkel trusted by Austrailans. Yom, are you Australian?:D

Grogey

·
Registered
nissan
253 Posts
I fitted a genuine Nissan snorkel today on my own rig (3 hrs and only 1 stubbie) and it has the same fitting instructions. I just made sure that I used loads of sticaflex in that connection.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
Ok thanks.

So the rather expensive snorkel relies on a bit of sika flex where it connects to the airbox to keep water out. Brilliant.

From Safari - Snorkels

In arguably the best, if not toughest environment, Safari Snorkel Systems are thoroughly researched, tested and tooled for each unique model of popular 4WD in Australia. Genuine Safari Snorkels - the snorkel trusted by Australians.

Safari Snorkel Systems are manufactured to the highest standards in durable, UV stable, cross linked polyethylene material and deliver a continuous and cooler supply of air for maximum engine performance. Each system includes quality fixtures and fittings that deliver superior sealing, OEM levels of presentation and long-term durability.

In addition, Safari Snorkels are positively sealed in order to provide the engine with the ultimate in protection during river crossings and dusty desert driving conditions.

Do you think this a botched installation or is it how its done on every GU?

the snorkel trusted by Austrailans. Yom, are you Australian?:D

Grogey
safari can stick their snorkels up their arses.

that silicone won't be a botched installation (although it is possible considering where you had it installed). is probably like that on most patrols.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
When I fitted the 3l GU airbox to my GQ I initially used some silicon sealant and as Yom said it does not take the vibrations well and cracked within a couple of weeks. I have since refitted it with sikaflex and I think it will now take a block and tackle to remove it again.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,165 Posts
And they speak so highly of you ;). Mines fine, still is and always has been :confused:. I recently took the head piece off and did a seal test, didn't stall but damn the whole system was trying to collapse. That will do me :cool:.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

that silicone won't be a botched installation (although it is possible considering where you had it installed). is probably like that on most patrols.
To sikaflex it properly do you need to pull the air box of first.

Cheers

Grogey

·
Registered
nissan
715 Posts
When testing to see if the snorkel has sealed correctly how long should it take for the engine to stall? I have tested mine after using a lot of sikaflex to seal it up and have not been able to get it to stall. I know that I have at least one hole in the system (the drain hole in the air box) and when I do cover up the snorkel with my hand the whole system does suck in on itself fairly severely (so far whenever Ive been testing I have chickened out and removed my hand from the snorkel when the actual snorkel body itself starts to move and suck in on itself) but it hasn't stalled.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,165 Posts
When testing to see if the snorkel has sealed correctly how long should it take for the engine to stall? I have tested mine after using a lot of sikaflex to seal it up and have not been able to get it to stall. I know that I have at least one hole in the system (the drain hole in the air box) and when I do cover up the snorkel with my hand the whole system does suck in on itself fairly severely (so far whenever Ive been testing I have chickened out and removed my hand from the snorkel when the actual snorkel body itself starts to move and suck in on itself) but it hasn't stalled.
Mate if it is starting to collapse the airbox as you suggest (like mine does), that is good enough, no need to chase actual stall point.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
370 Posts
I would be carefull in blocking off the inlet to the snorkel if you have a turbo. It's possible to cause damage to your turbo seals as the compressor tries to suck air across them as you have turned the compressor housing into a vacuum. I used sikaflex as instructed by the Safari installation procedure but I also installed 3 locking tabs on the mounting bolts for the snorkel elbow which goes into the inner guard. I then clamped them over the airbox mounting flange.

·
Registered
nissan
173 Posts
Hi,

I had a Safari Snorkel fitted by Westside 4x4 at Sumner ages ago. I never gave it much thought as it was professionally fitted.

I had a look at the air box today and noticed there was a load of silicone or similar plastered around where the airbox connected into the inner wing and into the snorkel sections in the wing. see the pic.

The silicone was dried and cracked up. A wiggle of the airbox showed how it can move on its mounts where as the connection in the wing is fixed. I'd imagine the box vibrates with road vibrations and cracked the old silicone.

Is this how the snorkel seals and is mine currently not sealed.

I'm taking it back to Westside 4x4 this week for them to have a look.

Grogey
Grogey,

That's anoying, hope they fix it for you without charging any extra. Peter Mc's fix is a good one & here's another one barnsey suggested to me - I had the same problem

barnsey wrote: With mine, I pulled air box out and inner guard, then I cut the end off the air box flange off, then the elbow that come through inner guard I did the same then i replaced it with straight 90mm silicone joiner and hose clamp it onto the elbow and air box that way u won't ever have to worry about it again, this illuminates the 2 flanges sealed together with sika flex

cheers

Attachments

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,694 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts