Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've drifted around patrol4x4 for a bit now, having firmly settled on some sort of Nissan patrol as my next car. I have 5 months hardcore saving plus some cash jobs and tax return, should end up with about 6-8k. I have decided that I'd like a GQ, I love the shape, they have a bulletproof reputation, and I don't want to look like I'm copying my two mates who own MK's.
The thing is, although I've found heaps of GQ's in my price range, they are all dual fuels. Not diesels. I had my heart set on a diesel. But these appear only to be available in a turbo and at a serious price premium. Here are the questions:
Do gas/petrol GQ's 4WD as well as diesel? I want to know that I can fit 33" or 35" tyres, 2" lift and go out to Loveday and not stress out I have no torque to get up hills.
Is there a diesel that isn't turbocharged? Or did the diesel option only come out with a turbo bolted on the side? As much as a diesel turbo GQ would be awesome, the possible expense of rebuilding/fixing the turbo puts me off big time. And I am probably a bit too inexperienced for one too.
I know all about the legendary diesel engine, is the petrol ok too? Like, 400,000+klm if looked after? Manuals the same throughout the range?
Ok thanks guys, I look forward to the replies, and I look forward to eventually owning a GQ of my own.
Thanks,
Joe.

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Hey mate
Gq never came out with factory turbo
They arent very rare to find one without a turbo, usually it's the opposite
Anyways I dint have any first hand with tb42 so can't help you out there
Gq is a beast!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
47 Posts
diesel

gday yer the 4.2 did come out with out a turbo. The petrols are hell of alot more thursty and dont have the reputaion of lasting as long as a diesel engine. i picked up my gq its a 2.8l turbo diesel for 7000 but as long as you drive it proply no red lining or reving it out every gear change with an oil change every 5000kms you shouldnever realy have to worrie about any isuess acouring if thats whats scaring you away from them.But if something dose go wrong with a diesel it will most deffinalty cost you more to fix over a petrol.

·
Registered
nissan
377 Posts
Nothing wrong with the tb42(petrol), yes they are a tad thirsty but nut not expensive to run on LPG. They Go harder than a non turbo 4.2 diesel especially with 33"+ rubber and are a pretty robust engine there are 400,000k + motors on this site, you won't be lacking power or torque in a 4.2 petrol, 4.2's share the same driveline 2.8 has a smaller gearbox. Your best to drive them all and see what suites. I was looking for a non turbo diesel 4.2 for 6 months ended up with the duel fuel 4.2 as I was over looking and it's been a great motor don't regret it one bit especially when I drive my mates n/a td42's

Alot of your questions can be answered by doing a search there should be plenty of info like that on this site

Gq1995, from what I have read on this site the 2.8 doesnt have a reputation of being robust and lasting big k's like the 4.2's, not all diesels last for ever.

·
Registered
407 Posts
To answer a couple of q's...

4.2(td42) diesels never came out with factory turbo
2.8(rd28 )diesels did, but aren't really known for reliability

as far as 33's or 35's go... 33's will fit with a 2" lift. I know this because I have 33's on my 2" lifted GQ. Minor rubbing, but nothing to worry too much about. 35's will need a bit more work.. ie body lift and hammer/grinder work to the guards.

Good luck with the purchase, and the best bit of info that has already been offered is - take them all for a drive and then decide what you personally think is best!

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
377 Posts
Also I wouldn't be scared off by a aftermarket Turbo on a 4.2 diesel, if it's been installed and tuned properly and not running masive boost it should be fine and trouble free. Turbos are not really high maintenance if there not working to hard especially on a basic tuff motor like the td42.

·
Registered
Nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I'll be going for a 4.2petrol manual, make sure I'll find a gas/fuel one, and look for one around 250,000klm. I'll make the step to diesel when I go to a GU!

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
TB42 lots of power factory
IF goin TB(petrol) get the later end EFI
A bit cheaper to run
RD28 (2.8 diesel)(These are factory turbo)
Some swear by them (maybe at them also when they break down LOL)
TD42 , factory non turbo
These are the dearer end GQ lately

IF you want to find the best you can get 6-8K wont help
Your a bit short on $$$
IF ya want something ruff around the edges, alotta ks should get something for your budget

Seems to be the 2nd most popular Q lately

·
Registered
Nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I frequent a pub after work, and one of the guys I have a beer with every now and then was talking to me about patrols and what does he say? Mines for sale mate, not advertising, but you can have first pick till I decide to.
Ok mate how much, what type of patrol?
Um, GQ, turbo diesel, manual, 260,000klm, full service books, stock otherwise...I was thinking 4.5k?
Oh, ok no worries...give me a day or two to think on it buddy!
So I thought I'd ask the brains trust here at patrol 4x4. It'll be a 2.8 obviously, unless he's had an aftermarket turbo put on a 4.2. I had a look at it, it's quite clean. They guy has owned it since 88,000klm, bought it off original owner as a family bus and kept up the services until now. It's got some tiny dings and a scratch or two. I believe him when he says it's never been off road, there are no scrape marks or scratches on the diffs or chassis, it is very clean and rust free under there. I've known him a long time, he's a genuine guy and is giving me a good price. He's in no hurry to sell, but eventually his trouble and strife will make him sell it on. What do you guys think? Hit up the bank for a quick loan, rather than save? I will just pay off the loan in a few months, with money I'd normally be saving for it anyway. Is this the kind of car you'd buy for this money?

·
Registered
407 Posts
If its a 4.2 then snap it up as quick as you can. Otherwise I may trace it down and buy it :p

If it's 2.8 then it still seems like a pretty good purchase. Just be wary of troubles you may have. Just search these forums for info on the reliability on the RD28.

Cheers

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Better a good 2.8td than a TB42 on gas IMO. Not the best engine for LPG. If been on petrol all it's life then chances are the head will last.

·
Registered
Nissan
795 Posts
**** heh that sounds OK if you ask me....u might be surprised if it is a 4.2 but heh if it looks good no real leaks about the place then i would do it...means you will have your diesel...i found with the 2.8's where quite underpowered though, drove one alot for work and struggled up hills pulling a trailer, had to put it into low range then reverse down the hill and start again. but remember it is your first nissan yeah..still sounds ok what does everyone else think???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts