Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought there was thread already here for these.
It's just rope shackle instead of steel, snake racing sells these. I am guessing that there are other brands out there too .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3W4zD8f75Wo

These make joining two straps a lot safer.

There video on YouTube showing how to makes these yourself.

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
3,003 Posts
Two straps can easily be joined using a newspaper or a stick

I kinda like the soft shackle idea as long as its rated properly, it can resist environmental decay like loosing strength in the sunlight, wont rot when wet etcetc

·
The Centaur .5 Manpopwer .5 Horsepower
nissan
981 Posts
Thanks sim79, I am going to ring snake racing tomorrow about these and see what they say. May even get a couple.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two straps can easily be joined using a newspaper or a stick
Sticks break.

Lol separating two straps joined with a newspaper, tried a few times. One strap ends up destroyed or you end up with one really long strap.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Join straps loop to loop. The stick (or rolled up newspaper) is only there to stop the knot jamming and making it impossible to separate.

Reactions: Nunez

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Join straps loop to loop. The stick (or rolled up newspaper) is only there to stop the knot jamming and making it impossible to separate.
Yes, that's what we did and magazine got destroyed and it was impossible to separate the straps. This has happened on a few occasions.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Yeah i had a dirty mag stuck between my 2 straps for a few years. I just accepted the fact that i had 1 long strap now

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
Gasburner is going to do a demo at the show and shine Aug 8 on how to make these soft shakles yourself.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Can the soft shackles replace normal shackles in all situations? How would they far against right angled steel recovery holes?

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
I wouldn't put them straight to steel plate style recovery points.large eyes and rated bolted tow points with a 12mm or more diameter would not cause excessive wear. a sheath like on a winch rope would help stop abrasion but like any fibre based recovery item a soft shackle will have a limited number of uses

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Can the soft shackles replace normal shackles in all situations? How would they far against right angled steel recovery holes?
In my opinion No they can't replace the steel shackles for every scenario but they are great for joining straps, or for dropping a strap onto a rounded bar recovery point with a closed eye etc. I wouldn't feel happy putting them under load where any sort of 'edge' could cut them. A sheath might help but I still wouldn't trust it.

Something that might be worth discussion is by using the smaller 7 ton soft shackle you could knowingly introduce the weakest link into your recovery gear. What I mean to say is by using the 10 ton soft shackle you know you have a good strong set-up between both vehicles...at which point would the recovery gear break when subjected to an aggressive tug?...you don't really know do you.
By introducing a slightly weaker 7 ton shackle into the recovery gear...you might have a better idea of where things could break.
Did I explain that clearly? Just a thought....obviously you compile your recovery arsenal to use the best gear when ever possible & without a weakest link.

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Gasburner is going to do a demo at the show and shine Aug 8 on how to make these soft shakles yourself.
Any chance of a video, and put it up on here?

·
Registered
331 Posts
It you are wondering how square edged anchor points will affect them, as far as strength under load, it would be much the same as a soft lifting sling ( not exactly the same but would give you a general idea).
For example if you if a soft sling is wrapped around an over head steel beam, (with square corners) it looses (1/3rd or something I can't remember) of it's lifting capacity.
If you googled rigging chart or something, you should find info on how you attach soft slings,and how it effects the weight ratings.

Of course it all is different and there are no numbers for shock load situations. ( please don't anyone turn it into a conversation about all that again)

Just a suggestion for those wondering about that side of it.
I might even post a chart if I can find one.

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Yeah that vid shows what they are, I was after a video on making them

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reactions: madk1w1

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
There's an agent in Port Hedland, well Wedgefield, he stocks them so I will be picking one up this week,
$75 see how well and long they last, at least should be able to use as guide to make:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts