Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

SOFTY's Home Renovation and Gardening Thread

5K views 61 replies 13 participants last post by  45/70 
#1 ·
Anyone know if this is a standard size sink spindle from looking at it? I need to replace a couple and I've only done wall ones so this looks a bit more fat and stumpy.

And will I need gogo gaget arms to hold something under the size while I undo that? Looking at the state of it... Could be some "fun"

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks std to me, there should be an '0' ring inside there as well. I would recommend you go to Bunnings and buy a seat cutter, it is a very handy tool when overhauling water taps.

#4 ·
This is a tool you need. I borrow my mates one when working under sinks. It’s worth the money.

Reactions: Marko_SJ and Softy
#5 ·
If the vinegar doesn't cut it, hunt down an environmentally unfriendly washing powder. Full of phosphates and all the other naughties. Full hot cycle with no washing, just a scoop of your new friend.

Gets rid of the buildup like nothing else. It's actually what our washing machine manual says to do monthly if you regularly use fabric softener.
A couple dish washer capsules will clean the clothes washer,just run a hot medium cycle 👍

#6 · (Edited)
You do need a home maintenance thread ;)

You have a cupla options. Pics below.
Pic one... unscrew blue from red and rebuild spindle with pic 2 parts (2 x shifters). Also use pic 3 to reset inside red arrow part.

Fluid Material property Gas Engineering Circle

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Circle

Font Symbol Screenshot Rectangle Parallel

Option 2... replace the whole spindle (blue arrow) with a new one Pic 4. Just take with you to get correct sizing.

Font Parallel Automotive lighting Screenshot Rectangle

#7 ·
You do need a home maintenance thread ;)

You have a cupla options. Pics below.
Pic one... unscrew blue from red and rebuild spindle with pic 2 parts (2 x shifters). Also use pic 3 to reset inside red arrow part.

View attachment 544421

View attachment 544422

View attachment 544423

Option 2... replace the whole spindle (red arrow) with a new one Pic 4. Just take with you to get correct sizing.

View attachment 544424
Just don't forget to turn the water off at the mains or you will get more than you bargain for. 🤣🤣

Foo

#8 ·
Get these. Australian made, and the best you can get. DON'T crank down on them when you turn the taps off (not that you ever should). Just a light touch.

#13 ·
#21 · (Edited)
I 90% agree with you. When it comes to hand tools I don't scrimp at all, but power tools can be a bit each way. If you are going to use a lot, then buy good. If occasional then meh.

An example, and I will start with you should never do any electrical around your home. You are unlicensed and the threat of death is real. Engage a licensed tradesman.
That said, if you did happen to buy some electricians insulated pliers and screwdrivers purely because they look way cooler than normal screwdrivers and pliers, then BUY GOOD TRADE QUALITY ones as it may just make a difference in how your experience fairs.

If you buy a tool to do a job around the home, then the chances are you will need it again in the future.

#22 ·
As a tradesman I still have the quality tools I bought as an apprentice in the 60's (Gedore, before they went to India, and Stahlwille), lol some bent to specific angles for getting into tight spaces, these tools were used everyday on things like packaging machinery for many years and they still work bloody marvellous.

But, as time moves on and I find myself needing other tools I have a different outlook seeing as they are used nowhere near as regularly, I do tend to go for the cheaper alternatives now, but not the throwaway type cheap.
So really I see it as a horses for courses type thing.

#23 ·
I agree with quality if you are going to be flogging them on a regular basis. I have a radial arm saw by Ryobi that I bought during my cabinetmaking days and it is still going, 45yrs later. 😁

Foo

Reactions: grumpyone and Softy
#26 ·
Use volt sticks to test for live, not to prove dead. My old company won't even let us use a multimeter to prove dead, have to use dedicated voltage testers. They had a couple of incidents with people mis-reading auto ranging meters. They thought the circuit was dead and the multimeter was showing a couple of hundred milliVolts, when it was Volts.

#29 ·
Home owners aren't sparkies, just need a warning to stay away from bitey bits.
Yeah, have only ever used them testing a known live as the breaker is switched off.
Hehe I thought that might get a bite or two. If you are going to buy a volt stick spend a little more and get a Fluke. I have been using them for years.

And as Woolly said no test equipment is infallible. I have proven this quite a few times with volt sticks, test lamps and DMM.

Reactions: Foo and rgren2
#30 ·
I've gone with the rebuild option this time never done it before so will give it a go. Got 4 taps to do so will work out cheaper anyway.

Font Recreation Motor vehicle Machine Auto part

Also going to reseal the shower today should have done it when I first moved in but lazy. Have noticed a tile at the bottom of the wall where there is no grout/sealant left is starting to come away from the wall.. will pay for my laziness when that falls off I guess... Hopefully sealing it up prolongs that. 😂

#31 ·
Just take your time with the cutter screw the cutter down lightly as you turn it, little by little until you have a nice clean seat, you will need to check it as you go. Checking after a small first cut will tell you if the seat is square with the body, have come across a few that the cutter only touches one side in the first cut due to uneven wear/contact.

#32 ·
I like my new Aldi they had everything in the catolauge and hardly anyone there... For a Saturday morning it seems rare to other stores!

Anyway jigsaw aquired and some holesaw bits don't need them but for $20 can't say no even if they only last one job.

Yellow Font Gas Signage Brickwork

Now I need to look at some form of lock up steel cabinet for the carport to put all my goodies I have started to aquire. 😁

#37 ·
Shoulda pulled it out first for measurement. :unsure: 😁

Foo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.