Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Question about the battery setting, there are 3 selections: b1 for seald, equalisation voltage 14.4, b2 for gel, Equalisation voltage 14.2, and flood 14.6. I dont want the battery get cooked when there is no load connected, but the solar panel is always connected. should I select b1 type? or even more conservative b2? Also, i have read some controller articles about the PWM and MPPT controller, the PWM run at around 75% efficiency, while the MPPT can be at 95% efficient. which means it will produce more current at charging for the same panel voltage. Anyone has some experience with both of them?
Buyer guide - do I need a PWM or MPPT solar charge controller?

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,047 Posts
Select the chg controller mode that matches your battery type installed as the 3 different battery types all have different charging requirements. This will ensure best battery SOC and effective life. Controller should look after the battery state.

The MPPT controller is more efficient as it is a DC/DC converter, allows the panel to works at max pwr point (amps x volts) available and then into battery at a lower voltage (charge voltage) but current increases proportionally. Yes impacted by loses / in efficiencies_temp / voltage drop etc). Your article (buyer guide captures it well).

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I am getting a MPPT controller to see what it can do. will update once it has arrived.

Reactions: geeyoutoo

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The new Mppt has arrived today. It is a 20A unit. My panel is 200w. Connected to the same way, under full sun. The bettery staying at 12.6 to 12.7v (vs 12.5 with the previous Pwm controller). And it shows more information. See the attached.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Reactions: rgren2

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The current on the left shows the amount charge goes into the battery via the Pwm charging function, the current on the right side shows how much current the fridge drawing..... So basically, this Mppt charger has 2 function: Pwm for changing the battery, the Mppt for DC to DC converter.....

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
This one shows the current. The charging current reduced to 1A when the battery is almost full

Reactions: geeyoutoo
21 - 27 of 27 Posts