Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Solar panel mod

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Steak 
#1 ·
Hey,
I did alot of research and could not find a similar mod/hack on the internet so I thought id post my build up here for you guys to see.
So I managed to pick up 2x 190w solor panels designed to be mounted with a home grid connect system for $50 each. After a few experiments and a bit of "modification" I managed to adapt one of these panels (for the moment) to put out a reasonable voltage for my redarc BCDC1240 to handle (or any other not Chinese **** regulator). I sat the panel next to the beast today for a test and managed to get 7.6Amps out (whilst connected to the charger/aux battery) which is just short of the 190w but location/angle/direction was not ideal (enough to run the fridge and charge the battery with extra to spare).

Basicly what I have done is cut the panel in half (by cutting the bottom middle track and attaching 2 leads) and removed the bypass diodes in the main junction box, this gives me 2 circuits that output 20(ish)v (open circuit, redarc want a minimum of 17.2) @ approx 95w/5A = 10A Max output.

Easy mod if you can pick up a house panel (or 2) for cheaper then the rip-off camping panels. I plan to mount both panels (20A max output) flat to my roof racks, they stick out a bit further then the roof being 1580x810 but still well within the beats footprint and still leaves me space at the back of the racks for a milk crate (with 9kg gas bottle) and 4x 22l Jerry Cans + the swag can be tied down on top of one of the panels while transiting as ill be running off alternator power. As they are flat I can still carry flat or bulky items on top of them or long thin objects like conduit or timber underneath them.

More pics to come, today I cut about a 300mm bit of 32mm conduit in half and sikaflexed it over the connections for strength and protection.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Steak, could you put up a clear view of the specifications of the panel. Just having trouble getting my head around why you cut the production of the panel. are they 24v panels? Thanks, Peter.

#7 ·
Dirt Devil; Havnt progressed much further on this project yet due to other projects on the go and a short amount of time, should have a finished product (mounted and charging) by Sunday (I hope) More details to come then.

Shy304; My redarc charger (BCDC1240) will accept a max (Voc&Vmp of 28.2V) and a minimum (Voc of 17.2 Vloaded 8v).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.