Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a great thread going about Solar panels but I think it got lost with the server issues a while back. Anyway, there have been a few recent threads about storms, damage and big hail stones. Does anyone have solar panels in the affected areas and how did they stand up to the storms and in particular the hail stones? I'm about to put up 38 panels and hail stone issues are starting to make me very nervous :neutral: (not that we get massive ones in SA).

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3,907 Posts
It would be extremly unlikey roof tiles, tin etc would be damaged pretty bad if hail took out a panel.

They could blow off if not secured properly, the sun also tends to age the materials used in the panel but apart from that you will be fine installing them.

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would be extremly unlikey roof tiles, tin etc would be damaged pretty bad if hail took out a panel.

They could blow off if not secured properly, the sun also tends to age the materials used in the panel but apart from that you will be fine installing them.
Thanks, but I'm not sure if I was entirely clear, what I'm thinking about is the hardened glass surface cracking/shattering (as I've heard this can happen). Would be an expensive exercise replacing them all. The install side of things I'm pretty comfortable with.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,907 Posts
I did a TAFE course in renewable energy a few years ago & we were told that it is very unlikely because solar panels are placed facing North & in Australia it is very rare to get hail from the North. Also because of the angle the panels are inclined at, the hail only glances off & the glass on the panel is toughened.:cheers:

·
Registered
NIssan
882 Posts
It is possible for solar panels to break under hail, however your home building insurance should cover it under storm damage (call them to double check if you want to make sure, but I don't know of any insurance company that would exclude them)

I work in insurance and have paid out a number of claims for solar panels damaged by hail (mostly in far north QLD, a couple of the claims were over $10k just in panels as there was no electricity grid in the area - the houses ran purely off solar energy)

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
I have solar pannels on my car and on the house roof. Perth had a prety nasty hail storm a while back and I was out in the middle of it. Did not break the pannels on car or house, we had a few tiles broken. Admittedly I missed the worst area in my car, and only got a few big dents in my bonnet and roof so was lucky compared to some cars that looked like they were hit with multiple solid shot gun rounds.

So the solar pannels are tougher than the car roof.

If you were worried, then get the UniSolar brand that are heavy plastic polycarbonate rather than glass. But my glass ones have survived most of the toughest corrugated roads in WA and NT as well as a bit of hail, a few rocks and a tree branch or two, not to mention loading a kayak on top of the pannels every week.

On the house roof you can easily include them in you house insurance as a fixture. They are prety bloody tough if you buy a reasonable brand. I have BP pannels for both car and house.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts