Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

If you have a solid flywheel in your ZD30, what do you think of it?

• I hate my solid flywheel!

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I love my solid flywheel so much I think the sun shines out of it's clutch hole!

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • I hate my solid flywheel with a passion and would replace it with DMF if financial enough!

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • I can't see why your making a fuss, I can't feel the difference!

Votes: 17 27.4%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love manual transmission, but I hate my solid flywheel with a passion, it has been in for 60,000k now and (in my opinion) it was the worst thing I ever did to the vehicle, clunky, low speed vibration, none of this existed with the original DMF, which, if I get the finances, will be put back in when the 5th gear repair is done.

It has been discussed many times before I know, but I would love to see a definitive result on member satisfaction.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Trust me if Nissan could save money by using a solid Flywheel they would of done it, It needs if for sure ( DMF ) also have a mate with a Pajero & his clutch died, replaced it with a solid ( Wife insisted the cheaper unit goes in ) U guess it, she PAID to have the DMF fitted & the purchase price. Both trucks are now fine with DMF onboard.

I know it's costly but bite the bullet & put it on DMF.

·
Registered
NISSAN
495 Posts
Not really that fussed I guess.. I love it. comming from a 4.2 24valve TD toyota (dirty word now) the little Zd is nice.
ahh just drive and get them dirty fellas... On the rutts does it really mater ;-)

·
Registered
nissanpatrol
167 Posts
replaced mine today and can not notice the difference, used a extreme clutch from Adelaide chrome molly fly wheel and higher clamping force pressure plate . Maybe it has to do with the quality of the replacement clutch and fly wheel. cheers TAZ

·
Registered
58 Posts
I love manual transmission, but I hate my solid flywheel with a passion, it has been in for 60,000k now and (in my opinion) it was the worst thing I ever did to the vehicle, clunky, low speed vibration, none of this existed with the original DMF, which, if I get the finances, will be put back in when the 5th gear repair is done.

It has been discussed many times before I know, but I would love to see a definitive result on member satisfaction.
What initiated the replacement to a solid in the first place ? was the DMF stuffed or you just decided to replace it ? In my case, the solid is not quite as smooth as the DMF was, BUT....my DMF was Stuffed in less than 60,000 k's, :angryfir: as long as my ass points to the ground, it won't ever have a DMF fitted again!!!!

Cheers Macca

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What initiated the replacement to a solid in the first place ? was the DMF stuffed or you just decided to replace it ? In my case, the solid is not quite as smooth as the DMF was, BUT....my DMF was Stuffed in less than 60,000 k's, :angryfir: as long as my ass points to the ground, it won't ever have a DMF fitted again!!!!

Cheers Macca
No, DMF was still quite OK, rebuilding engine at 155,000 so decided to do the clutch while the whole thing was apart, discussed clutch types and was told the solid heavy duty was a good, "cheaper" option, but was warned of a possible low speed vibration, so unfortunately I did it, and have hated it ever since. Mine is very clunky you have to be super smooth on the gear change, it's something I'm always aware of and the low speed vibration did occur.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
11 Posts
Well for me it turned out to be a no brainer..... 2500$ fitted for a 4 terrain HD with Hd solid flywheel..!! Or Pay about 1800$ just for a new dual mass flywheel, then some 600 for same 4Terrain clutch and about 800 to have it fitted. All up 3200$.....
Had a look at the old flywheel and it looked r%ted!! Thats after 115.000 km's.... it'll take me less then 3 years to reach that!
So I got in the car ready for a heavy clutch (pedal)... but nothing like that, it felt very light as if they'd forgotten to put oil in the reservoir. The take up is more direct, not on off but like there's only 10mm between it. After driving it for a day (265km) I found that I didn't noticed it any more it was like normal. There's absolutely no vibrations or shudder or anything negative about it, it's mint!
So for any other doubters out there, I'm happy with the conversion to single mass
Mine is a '04 3.0 ST. And as it is right on the change over date (09/'04) the boys from Ultra tune In Rockingham had to return to whoever supplied the clutch 3 times before they had the right HD flywheel but i'm glad they did.

Cheers Alan

·
Registered
nissan patrol
11 Posts
To Gu2,

It's 10 against 3 at the moment..... What brand clutch have you put in mate? So we can compare appels with appels....

Cheers Alan

·
Registered
431 Posts
No, DMF was still quite OK, rebuilding engine at 155,000 so decided to do the clutch while the whole thing was apart, discussed clutch types and was told the solid heavy duty was a good, "cheaper" option, but was warned of a possible low speed vibration, so unfortunately I did it, and have hated it ever since. Mine is very clunky you have to be super smooth on the gear change, it's something I'm always aware of and the low speed vibration did occur.

Man.... were the Balance timed correctly? I didn't realise you rebuilt the engine. It is possibe to get them 180Deg out & i know it's a bitch when they are, I have them in my Mitz Starion, did a belt change & didn't check it, vibrated so much my wife used the car 20Hrs out of the day for her pleasure!!!!!

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I probably need to clarify, I didn't rebuild it personally, that was done by Nissan after some rational discussion, they agreed to rebuild it on a partial warranty using the service "kit".
I asked them to check everything while it was out and might as well do the clutch as well, the Service Manager (whom I had known for some time) was one of the people the clutch options were discussed with and he suggested a solid HD as a viable, cheaper alternative, so the brand is unknown to me. But I do take heart from the fact that I am not alone in hating my solid, so far 23% agree with me, and they don't just hate it, they hate it with a passion.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
makes me wonder if this more to do with the clutch used if there's such a polarisation with opinions.

Other thing is some (greater majority I'd say) people are ham fisted and can't detect differences or simply don't care/ignore them.

this ham fistedness is why people buy Kias over Hondas.

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
i have fitted a heap of solid flywheel conversion some good some are bad it comes down to how you drive and what is used for price is only one thing to consider when replacing a clutch(not that many people care)its always best to talk to a specailist that know what they are on about not just what somebody wants to sell

i found the xtreme units a better option than the other types out there as they dont seem to suffer as any shudder problems etc

·
Registered
nissan patrol GUIV
576 Posts
I have had a solid in mine after replacing the dual mass rubbish that was inside. Its alot stronger than a replacement DMF unit. It is very different but I like it and wouldnt go back to a dual mass.

Solid flywheel all the way for me.

John.

·
Registered
nissanpatrol
167 Posts
i have fitted a heap of solid flywheel conversion some good some are bad it comes down to how you drive and what is used for price is only one thing to consider when replacing a clutch(not that many people care)its always best to talk to a specailist that know what they are on about not just what somebody wants to sell

i found the xtreme units a better option than the other types out there as they dont seem to suffer as any shudder problems etc
yep mine is the extreme and no shudder, okay is slightly noisy but for the price and the quality of the product I am not complaining, Incidentally my dual mass was shagged had done I presume 21500k I say presume as I bought the truck with 165000k on it. Must say though was a bitch to get the box out and back in had to massage the tunnel with the hammer a bit to gain the clearance to get the bloody thing back in!!! cheers TAZ ;)

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I have just replaced my DMF with a Exedy Sports and solid F/W. Not a great deal of difference really. Just a slight vibration at 1000rpm. If ur driving around at 1000rpm you shouldnt be on the road anyway

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
I have just forked out for an aftermarket SMF and heavy duty clutch, after the DMF setup failed at 35000kms. Car is 18 months old, but Nissan wouldn't cover it under the warranty. Happy with the replacement - clutch feels light to operate and no judder. Nissan in Tas reckoned about $4000 to replace clutch and DMF with Nissan parts, and the SMF conversion ended up costing $2500...

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,550 Posts
when i purchased my 04 DI patrol,it's DMF was shagged @ 85k so the garage man (seller) AGREED to replace it,i had two options,go same DMF with new clutch kit (and pay half) OR install a solid flywheel and new clutch kit,so we went down the route of the soild flywheel,instantly i noticed a low RPM vibration,but to be honest it's only something that happens when you let the engine labour,as in letting it try and pull higher gears when you should be in a lower gear.

so overall i love my SOLID,and wouldn't go back,YES i think people don't notice or remember what the veichle drove like with the DMF version,but if you drove two of them side by side the DMF versions are more nimble on acceleration,it's just something you either forget or don't bother to acknowledge anymore.

-dan

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
I'm another for the solid flywheel being a terrible choice. I wanted to pull the friggin thing out in the first drive and I would never fit another. So harsh with gear changes.

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,613 Posts
I know when mine fails (DMF) which one will go back in. The solid one and twin plate clutch if there is one like that for good measure.
DMFs are PITA and the amounts we replace at work (trucks) is becoming a workshop joke sadly no solid are available for these beasts so the same shyte DMF is going back and failing again. Nice money spinner for the manufacturer.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
408 Posts
My troll had 120,000km, DMF was stuffed. I got an xtreme hd solid fly both because it was half the price as the short lived dmf's and I was informed by friends with solids to go that way. When I first drove, it was like driving a new car, I expected pedal to be harder to push but was easier, I didn't notice any vibration with my normal driving. It wasn't until I was fully loaded up and crawling up a hill around a corner, I tried to skip a gear change on the actual corner and thats when it started vibrating. This only happens when you're in the wrong gear so not a problem for me. I think if you have a DMF in, keep it in till it's stuffed, then go the solid as the life of it will out live the DMF's. That's just my opinion.

HAPPY WITH MY SOLID

1 - 20 of 59 Posts