Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem that started about 3 days ago.

When taking off in first gear, in just the first meter of movement, the Patrol starts to move off the line and it, in the driveline somewhere, seems to slip for just a nanosecond.

There is absolutely no noise, clunk, vibration, bang or anything, just a momentarly slip like a heap of play in the diff etc that only occurs just after you actually start to move.

It came on from not being there at all 3 days ago. Nothing has been worked on by a mecahnic in recent times the only change has been alloy wheels were added about 1000kms ago.

I thought that perhaps the alloy wheels needed a nip up so I did that but without jacking the vehicle off the ground to check for any play etc.

I can honestly say if it's an engine mount or gearbox mount I have never had one of these play up so don't know how it would react. I know when the motor starts or stops the car doesn't shake any more than usual.

It doesn't do it every time. Yesterday I was going back and forth on the drive accelerating excessively to listen and fell and it didn't do it once. I'd say it does it one in ten starts.

Any other ideas on where to start?

Its a 5 speed 4.2 diesel GU wagon.

·
Registered
1992 (GQ) Nissan Patrol Ti Wagon
211 Posts
Does it only do it on change of direction?

If so, it is probably a link or worn bush on the links between the diff and the chassis.
I've the same problem on a Ford Falcon, which have a similar rear diff setup to a GU/GQ Patrol.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
if its your clutch which, Im not saying it is, but to rule it out take it somwhere with a long up hill run and if it slips at all it will do it in 4th, where torque experieced at the flywheel is greatest.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi fellas, on the clutch, it is a Safari Tuff clutch which is about 6000kms old. It clamps up nicely, well it seems to.

On the change or direction, I'm wondering if it does, like when you roll back a touch on a hill start etc. I'll do some more testing tomorrow.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a look uderneath this arvy and I couldn't see much. Tapping around with a mallet on the linkages and nothing seems loose. Don't know if tapping would simulate the same pressure of accelerating away from lights, I doubt it I guess.

There is no play, well only a smidgen in the slip joint in the drive shaft. The unis are tight and always been well lubed.

The only gap I can see is where the rear swaybar mounts against the front of the rear axle. One one side there is a gap above the swaybar and the rubber block and on the other there is a gap below the swaybar and the rubber block.

I'm just curious as to why is started all of a sudden??

I'm kind of inclined to think it's a mechanical gear type issue.

Can it suddenly develop excess play in the diff or gearbox??

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I sure that BennoGU28 will agree with me that it is probably just uncontrollable wheel spin generated by the powerhouse TD42 ;)

Seriously though

I dont suppose when they tyres were fitted to the alloys the tyre fitter used lube to seat the beads & the rim is spinning inside tyre bead on start off (unlikly but it is possible)

If you wanted to check this you could mark the tyre case position in relation to the valve stem do a couple of starts where you are feeling the slip & see if the mark on the tyre is still lined up with the valve stem in the rim

Regards Don

·
Registered
63 Posts
Will follow this with some interest, mine has had something similar for a while, feels to me on mine like dropping through an expansion joint on concrete, also in the first meter of movement. Trying to convince self not related to DMF, but as have periodic rough/erratic idle (some of the first signs from what I've read and heard from mechanic mate) hope there's a cheaper fix! (Mines a 3L grenade!)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sure that BennoGU28 will agree with me that it is probably just uncontrollable wheel spin generated by the powerhouse TD42 ;)

Regards Don

:lol:

Funnily enough when I trump it it doesn't happen or the feeling just gets lost in the quick take up of the driveline. It only happens on moderate take offs.

Wassup to me it feels like the most flogged slip joint in the drive shaft you've ever encountered

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Aldo

Did you see the rest of my post or just the baiting Benno bit

As i said it is unlikly it is the cause but easy to check

Regards Don

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Don

I missed the rest of your post.

I'm prepared to check anything at the moment. It's starting to drive me bonkers as to what it can be.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Aldo

Is there any pattern to it occuring

Only when hot,cold,wet days,1st start of the day,etc

Regards Don

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No real pattern Don. For the last 3 weeks I have been driving the Patrol into the city and back everyday as I lent my mate my ute so I have been doing heaps of stop start. It's normally the camping vehicle.

It does it about 1 in every 8 take offs. Just get rolling, within the first meter even and it really feels like a worn drive shaft the takes up and when it grabs it's a strong positive lock up, not like a flaring clutch etc. The initial take off is normal it's just a nanosecond later there is this slack then positive drive again.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Mine did the same..... on starting off, its like something moves and slips into a slot,,,, you feel it rather than hear it.

Upper arms on the rear diff had worn bushes, allowing the diff to rotate a bit.

As it wore, I also started to notice it on rolling accelleration from a fast walk in 2nd gear.

Superior upper arms fixed the problem.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a spot on description Richo. You and GQ92 have both pointed to the diff and bushes so I'll have a better look this weekend.

I'm a but rushed for time at the moment as I'm trying to get things ready for a fishing trip. Could it cause any further damage if I drove it like that for a week towing a small trailer?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Nah Aldo, should be fine.... I did the Oodnadatta Track and Simmo like that, replaced the rear upper arms on return from the trip. It did get a bit worse, but was still fine.

Funny thing is, on visual inspection you cant see any real wear on the orig bushes. But it removed the problem.

For some reason, it seems Patrol wear the upper arm bushes rather than lowers.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fellas I rarely drive the Patrol as it's just for camping trips mainly but I've decided it's time (considering the orginal post) to replace these upper arm bushes on the rear diff.

Can you just replace the bushes or is it a complete unit?

If they are a complete unit how much are the replacements? Someone mentioned Superior earlier.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi Aldo,
It is your upper panhard bush. Yes you can just replace the bush. There are 2 types of bushes though. If you have an early model it is just a couple of rubbers with a sleeve but if it is the later version it is a spherical bush and you need to press them in and out. If it is a spherical bush i would stick with original nissan bushes, about 90 bucks each from superior. i replaced mine with whiteline bushes and they are just as bad new as my original ones were worn. Could have been the guy that pressed them in though while on a trip. I pressed original ones in at home when i got back with a press and it has been fine since. If you get under the car and lay side ways behind the diff, put ya foot on the chassis or something solid and push the car left to right. You should hear the clunk and see the play in the bush. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Darren

1 - 20 of 41 Posts