1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

2001 GUII Wagon.

I go down to my local shops today and on the side of the road is a smooth rain water culvert running parallel to the road as part of the carriageway.

I parked across it diagonally as all vehicles do and it put the suspension under some articulation. I open the driver's door and drop out about a foot higher than normal.

Comeback, jump in the car and the door won't shut properly without using twice as much normal force.

My door normally closes very easily. It's now parked back on level ground. When I open the door it kind of lightly pops open and to shut it, I need to use about twice as much force as normal.

Is it possible I have twisted body or chassis from parking on a slight rise? Surely not, but it's really annoying with the door now. Can anyone suggest a fix or suggestion on what the actual problem could be?

Thanks

·
Registered
nissan
692 Posts
sounds like mine
check the hinge itself. in my car where the pin goes through has bored out over time

·
Registered
208 Posts
Try adjusting the door catch to make it shut easier.

Once shut properly see how much gap is around the door to see if anything is bent. How do the other doors open and shut? By chance you didn't pull too much on the door getting in and slightly bend the hinges.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 4x4
91 Posts
The chassis do twist when doing what you did, this places load on the body trying to twist the shell, what I think has happened is when you've slammed the door shut it had moved the striker plate, just readjust it, they are quite capable of having diagonal wheels half a meter off the ground, probably with the doors shut though.
Thansk

·
Registered
nissan
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try adjusting the door catch to make it shut easier.

Once shut properly see how much gap is around the door to see if anything is bent. How do the other doors open and shut? By chance you didn't pull too much on the door getting in and slightly bend the hinges.
I can still shut the door as it is, just harder than norm. All the gaps around door seem equal, so it's odd. Might have bent the hinges but usually very careful about either not leaning on doors when in and out and definately don't over extend them.

All other doors as normal. My main concern is maybe doors shouldn't be opened when body is under flex, but this was minimal kind of flex, I mean a rainwater culvert - V - a patrol, seriously??

·
Registered
nissan
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The chassis do twist when doing what you did, this places load on the body trying to twist the shell, what I think has happened is when you've slammed the door shut it had moved the striker plate, just readjust it, they are quite capable of having diagonal wheels half a meter off the ground, probably with the doors shut though.
Thansk
I'll give it a crack and see what happens. I'm starting to wonder about my Patrol. With the known issues - rear shock tower bracing, 5th gear towing, 80km/h wobbles, IP pump lubrication & lift pump issues, bad earthing, overheating yada yada yada, now this, do I really want to venture more than 10km's from a service centre?? :doh:

geez! :lol:

PS, I love my Patrol -

1 - 6 of 6 Posts