Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there My name is Marc and I am about to buy a 1976 L60.
Atleast that's my goal.
I found one on the net but have no experience with this model.
It's low milage and from first owner (ex company car).
It runs a 4 liter petrol motor.

What do I look for when buying?
Weak spots,hard to get parts?

Is the petrol motor interchangable with a SD33 motor?
And how about the rest of the drive train?
I prefer a diesel because petrol is the most expencive fuel here in Holland.
But if it's to much of a hassle I will consider gas conversion.

Thanks for all info

Marc.

·
Quickest Tyre Deflator On The Market
nissan
3,026 Posts
Hi there My name is Marc and I am about to buy a 1976 L60.
Atleast that's my goal.
I found one on the net but have no experience with this model.
It's low milage and from first owner (ex company car).
It runs a 4 liter petrol motor.

What do I look for when buying?
Weak spots,hard to get parts?

Is the petrol motor interchangable with a SD33 motor?
And how about the rest of the drive train?
I prefer a diesel because petrol is the most expencive fuel here in Holland.
But if it's to much of a hassle I will consider gas conversion.

Thanks for all info

Marc.
Hi Marc, you would need to swap the entire motor and gearbox / transfer at least, and go for a 5 speed

·
Premium Member
1975 G60, 1989 GQ, 2013 GU
1,408 Posts
If you go on that site search up Sarge's Resto Patrol. He put a Sd33 into his G60 and i'll be doing the same conversion later on once i've finished fixing up the body

TRev

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot guys.
I'm thinking the same way.
i have a complete drivetrain and engine left over from scrapping an MK.
It's a SD33 Na and a 5 speedbox with transfer.

Was only curious if the SD would bolt straight up to the box or belhousing of the P40.
I don't want to re-engeneer everything in advance.
Only want to convert to diesel with original box and transfer for roadlegal registration.
It's a swiss import and have to register here in holland.
But they don't like you welding on the chassis.
So registration Would be easyer with no welding done.
After it's registered I will do the complete swapp even the axles and rest of drivetrain and other welding.
They won't check after registration.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If yours is a '76 it will have a "P" engine not a "P40". The SD33 wont bolt straight up to the 3 speed box.

There are companys in Australia such as Dellows and Castlemaine Rod Shop that sell adaptor plates to bolt up different engines to the standard box and transfer.

As for your original questions..

Rust? Sure there probably alot of it, check the foot wells, windscreen frame and rear panels above the taillights. The #2 crossmember also loves to take a pounding so you'll probably notice some damage there also.

Hard to get parts? Ummm yeah they pretty much are all hard to find but i supose thats what some of us like about them!

There are a tuff little forby the driveline and engine are super strong and you should really find any problems with them. The 3 speed box although can be hard to get used to without syncros is also super strong.

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it possible to mount the 5 speed gearbox from the SD33 to the original L60 transfer, or is this not possible?
If not, Iwill be swapping engine and gearbox/tranny

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By the way Where can I find an upload of a service or repair manual for the L60?
Preferrably PDF or similar

·
Premium Member
1975 G60, 1989 GQ, 2013 GU
1,408 Posts
I've got 2 versions. One just on the P motor and one on the complete car. I try and find where i got them from

TRev

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would appriciate it if you could help me out wit that, Trev.

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
Is it possible to mount the 5 speed gearbox from the SD33 to the original L60 transfer, or is this not possible?
If not, Iwill be swapping engine and gearbox/tranny
I don't think it is possible without some serious fabrication work, custom parts, ect. There is also no benifit to using the 60 series Patrol t-case, except one. The 60 series T-case you can get a set of custom crawlers gears. These will cost you over $2k though and are made in Australia. The 160 series transfer case can not be madified and there are no crawler gears available for it. Reason being is the crawler gears will not fit in the 160 series t-case.

The SD33T will not bolt into the old 60 series Patrol. It does fit nicely but really needs new engine mounts welded to the frame.

I suggest you put in the SD33T, 5spd and 160 series transfer case. It won't take to much work but does require some welding, custom mounts and so forth. In the end you will be very happy with the reults. You could even go as far as to put in the 160 series diffs front and rear which allows you to toss in some ARB air lockers.

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dug up some more info on my project.
Thanks guys for the responce.
As you mentioned trev, indeed in the workshop manual for the 160 series there is also a section for the 61 series.
Didn't know this was the L60.
I have the paper copy of it for several years in my posession and never noticed it altough I have used it plenty times for the MK.

Made a phone call today to a company called citroa to aquire some body panels.
They offer front wings,doorskins,rear tub assy and a bonnet.
I found the price not to steep.
It would save me a lot of work.
I dont like to do all the pannel beating so i rather buy ready made parts.
It looks a lot more tight when ready.

Have any of you done any buisnes with this company,and if so how were your experiences?
They are not fast in replying mail but they do reply.

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
I dug up some more info on my project.
Thanks guys for the responce.
As you mentioned trev, indeed in the workshop manual for the 160 series there is also a section for the 61 series.
Didn't know this was the L60.
They are not the same. The 60 series and the 61 series are completely different. The 60 series has C216 diffs front and rear with some having a H260 rear. The G61 has C200 diffs front and rear. The 60 series has a 3spd box with a twin stick t-case. The 61 series has a 4spd box with a single stick t-case. The 60 series has a P engine and the 61 has a P40.

It may still be a useful item to have though but what you really want is a 60 series service manual.

Also I am curious about these body panels. Where is the suppiler located. Do you have a link to their website?

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No luck with the 60 series service manual so far,but body and rest seems pretty much the same.
from the chassis number I can make it's a L60 with number 50873
It has the 3 speed with twin stick transfer and both axles are with cast center but not same as c200 like in MK(same size though)
Also the front fenders have twin lights like 61 series.
I came across this site for the G60 parts.its only body pannels like windshield frame, bonnet,fender,doorskin,rear tub and grill.

NISSAN PATROL (G60 Series) - (Toyota & Suzuki Body Panels)

·
Mr G60
890 Posts
interesting....mever seen that website before. Not a bad price too.

Here is another place to get body parts,

1979 Toyota BJ41 LAnd Cruiser

You should come on over to Rocky Mountain Patrol & Offroad • Index page, I am sure somebody on the forum must have a repair manual. They are often available on Ebay too.

Late 1970's Patrols have the dual fender lights which carried over to the G61. Diffs are C216. The number in Patrols is ring gear size. C200 = 200mm, C216 = 216mm and H233 = 233mm.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.