Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have searched I promise but I haven't found the info I'm looking for. I've been planning on getting a new 4" lift in my maverick but have had second thoughts lately. I am thinking of saving a bit of coin and going 3" lift. I am currently running poly caster correction bushes (crap, and rooted) so I have already purchased some genuine nissan radius arm bushes and mushroom bushes as I was going to put in drop boxes for the 4" lift. My question is can I still use drop boxes on the smaller 3" lift as I really wanna get rid of the offset bushes and I've already paid for the new genuine bushes.

Also what are your thoughts on fitting coil drop out cones and extended bumpstops on this size lift so I can run 5" or perhaps 6" shocks? I would also need extended brake lines but is there anything else I need to think about?
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
178 Posts
Dont see too much of an issue with running drop boxes on a 3" lift as long as there not for a 5" to 6" lift as then you will have too much castor which will be as bad as not enough Loved having the drop boxes as they gave a smoother arc over the bushes anyday.
You can get flexy 3" coils but not sure what length shocks they suitand weather you will need drop out cones etc, personally i dont like unsprung mass but each to there own. Best off chatting to Suspension stuff or a guru near you that has packages that'll definetly suit your requirement.

Once you go to 4" and some may say 3" you are best off getting adjustable panhards, definetly longer brakes lines also check clutche and other lines in the engine bay that may need tweeking abit. if you have the sub tank that goes along the drivers side you will most likely need a bent top rear arm also to clear the tank. I'm sure theres things I've missed but others can fill in if i have :p

·
Registered
nissan
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure most drop boxes are made for 4" lifts and higher which is why I was wondering if the over caster would cause problems. Thats a good point about drop out cones and unsprung weight I hadn't thought of that, I just checked suspension stuff's website and from the info there it would allow me to run 2" longer shocks, so 5" shocks with 3" springs. Surely even though there isn't much weight on the wheel when on full droop it has to be better than a wheel in the air?? Thoughts?

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
6 Posts
If you want to save some bucks my advise would be to run some softish long coils in the rear and some 6'' TD shocks, this way the coils wont fall out under full travel, wouldnt go too high with out extending lower arms as the springs will bow when compressed and rub on full shocks on compression, trim the gaurds to fit the big rubber, use a large offset rim and 35s will clearthe inner gaurd above the chassis rail. Dont forget the softer you make the rear the worse the front will flex.

·
Registered
nissan
777 Posts
You can get 3-4 inch drop boxes and 4-6 inch. Id say if you bought them for a 4" lift, they will be fine for a 3''

Just put them in, you may decide to upgrade to 4" coils down the track so that will save you ripping out the caster bushes and installing the drop boxes.

Heres a good link explaining why its good to have them
http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/index.php?pag_id=118

1 - 5 of 5 Posts