Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought i'd post some pic's of the Southern Cross 4x4 intercooler and air box kit that i'm fitting on my TD42 fitted with a Safari turbo kit. Cooler was dead easy to fit, needed a bit re-pluming work on the vacuum lines and some heavy Fab work on the second battery holder but its all coming together nicely. Just need to cut the bonnet and install the scoop tomorrow.

·
Registered
nissan
1,836 Posts
Good setup a lot neater than some and where did you get the air filter housing from & what's it worth approx thanks Hockmesh

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the airbox kit through Souther Cross 4x4 but found out its actually a MTQ kit. Comes with airbox mounting plate, elbows and pipe to goto a low mount turbo. Airbox is made of cast steel by the look and weight of it. Cost $400

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
How much was the rest of the kit?

Hope you maintain the rest of the vehicle better than your batteries.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Nice cooler! Just a thought though.. Putting your catch can there, it looks like it wont be much fun to change oil filters.. Have you left enough room to service it easily?

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the cooler and air box kit total bill was $1650 + $45 for delivery. So far kit has been very simple to install and comes with everything you need. Air box is another story :-( Yeah i know, batteries are on there last legs their main battery is about 7-8 year old and the deep cycle about 6. Being lead acid finding them hard to keep clean, they do seem to splash around a bit. Serviced the old girl while installing the catch can to make sure they can be easily removed

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
looks the goods, but isn't it Crosscountry---not southern cross ?

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oops don't know where i got southern cross from lol

·
Trolitised
236 Posts
Copy Cat

Hi trolers
I am looking at maybe doing the same thing as this set up here, can anyone who has done it tell how it has turned out and if they thought the outlay was worth it for power and economy and or any thoughts on the topic?

Phill

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,198 Posts
Hi trolers
I am looking at maybe doing the same thing as this set up here, can anyone who has done it tell how it has turned out and if they thought the outlay was worth it for power and economy and or any thoughts on the topic?

Phill
The Cross Country cooler is very well made, and you get all the bits you need. I was fitting mine to a Turbo Glide high mount turbo, which they had not done before. We figured out what was needed quite quickly, and Jon at Cross Country was great to deal with.

I cannot really comment accurately on performance, as the vehicly had a factory 2.8 intercooler fitted to the 4.2 when I bought it. The pipework was poor, so it was possibly even worse than standard. I fitted the new cooler in conjunction with a 3l airbox, and the combined difference was fantastic. Bloody big difference in torque, and throttle response.

The only issue I have is the scoop, which is not purpose built for the GQ. It does not fit over the bonnet flute very well, and you need to space it with foam or something. When the time comes to do some body work I will get it mounted to the cooler instead of the bonnet, like the old GT Falcons. Another member on here has already done this.

·
Registered
nissan
204 Posts
Hey GQShayne,
I have a turboglide set up as well and I was thinking about an intercooler, any chance of putting up some photos of your install?
Would the guys at Sothern Cross be able to put together another kit if they know it is going onto a high mount turbo?

·
Trolitised
236 Posts
I cannot really comment accurately on performance, as the vehicly had a factory 2.8 intercooler fitted to the 4.2 when I bought it. The pipework was poor, so it was possibly even worse than standard. I fitted the new cooler in conjunction with a 3l airbox, and the combined difference was fantastic. Bloody big difference in torque, and throttle response.

Yeah was looking at the figures on some dyno graphs and it looks like the power comes on strong early.

The only issue I have is the scoop, which is not purpose built for the GQ. It does not fit over the bonnet flute very well, and you need to space it with foam or something. When the time comes to do some body work I will get it mounted to the cooler instead of the bonnet, like the old GT Falcons. Another member on here has already done this.[/QUOTE]

I was looking at that too, as I seen some that looked not flash...I have seen some nice graft work done using a rex scoop that looked good but not for my skill level.
My truck is using a DTS kit, and you can buy their kit but I think its around the $2200 mark, that seems a bit over the top to me.
Thanks for your input GQshayne

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Ok, here are a few pics I took for Cross Country. Note that the compressor housing has been rotated slightly to line up with the cooler better, and that I have a two inch body lift. I have told Cross Country that I reckon it would still fit without the body lift, but it could be close.

These pics were taken before I fitted the 3L airbox and new intake pipe. Much better now.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
You will have no problems if you have a low mount turbo.

If you have a high mount turbo then the fan is not the problem. The problem is being able to connect the cooler to the compressor housing. If you look closely at the pictures Hockmesh and I posted up you will see the inlet on my cooler is in a different spot.

The high mount turbo sits close to the cooler, and it makes it hard to connect the two. by putting the inlet in the fron of my cooler and using a couple of bends it was able to be done. You could rotate the compressor a bit further than I have and possibly do something similar.

I have just looked at mine again, and I think you could do it with a high mount and no body lift. I have a two inch body lift, but more than two inches clearance. If you do not have a dual battery it will be easy, as you can rotate the housing further towards the guard than I have.

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
Hi guys im actually looking at the itercooler kit for my gq its got the safari low mount turbo, is it hard to mount up? Do i need the fan? And also do i need body lift or anything because it looks like it sits high... Help with my questions would be appreciated haha cheers

Liam

·
Registered
nissan
490 Posts
Hi guys im actually looking at the itercooler kit for my gq its got the safari low mount turbo, is it hard to mount up? Do i need the fan? And also do i need body lift or anything because it looks like it sits high... Help with my questions would be appreciated haha cheers

Liam
Nope it fits without a body lift. The kit comes complete with the fan. I have a safari turbo and the kit was easy to fit. I did add a 50 degree switch to the fan though so it only runs when the cooler goes above 50 degrees.

HTH

James

1 - 20 of 22 Posts