Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The rear seats had been in the roof for the best part of ten years and I needed some new seats for the workshop. Like everything up there they needed to be on wheels, so a trip to metalcorp's scrap bin and ordered some castors, fired up the MIG and this is the result.

The seats actually have 3 evenly spaced holes (the outer are approx 75mm in from the edge and 1 in the centre) already predrilled in each of the transverse C channel frames So located them and drilled through the fabric. Using M6 SS hexbolts and nylocs the seats are bolted to the 50 x 20 x 3 RHS cross bars. The cross bars bolt to the 70x70 verticals with M12 SS with nylocs.

The main RHS pieces are 70 x 70 x 2.5, the castors are 100kgs rated each. They were built extra heavy duty in case at some point they need to be converted to engine stands or engine test beds.

Welding galvo sux balls, hence the fan was used to suck the fumes away.

The finished products, added some 20mm thick ply with some marine carpet, armrests and a footrest. You cant see it but there are another 2 pieces of 20x50x3RHS under the ply so they will never break no matter who or what sits on them they will never even flex.

They also still fold, so you can shut them to stop dust/****/stuff settling on them

A summer of watching cricket in the shed drinking scotch and not trying to get comfortable in a ****ing camp chair. :)

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate, I had a general idea about what I wanted but the actual measurements got made on the fly and was really how much I could get out of each length of steel ;)

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Nice work Ben you got me thinking!

I'm picturing a swing out bracket for the iPad as well :)

So I can sit in comfort in the shed in my Patrol seats checking out the Patrol forum. And researching
/desiging the next project.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ipad, me?, I only bought a wireless usb stick thing for my laptop the other day. much windows help later it connected woohoo.

I was thinking of leaving the seatbelt on so I cant fall out when Im blotto :) But then I would have to find a belt and then figure out how to mount it so I dropped that idea.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rear Seats ST-L Black Leather

i have 2 rear seats from a 2006 ST-L Patrol never used. Worth over $3000 from Nissan and will sell for $500 pick up. Vic. black Leather seats.

Brand New seats taken out when we got the car for a draw system. Excellent condition.

·
builder not a buyer!
2,703 Posts
i have 2 rear seats from a 2006 ST-L Patrol never used. Worth over $3000 from Nissan and will sell for $500 pick up. Vic. black Leather seats.

Brand New seats taken out when we got the car for a draw system. Excellent condition.

this is not a for sale section mate. there is a classifieds for that.

anywho, good job benno!

·
Registered
240 Posts
we did the same thing with mining equipment seats untill the mine found out and said they were unsafe and threw them all out

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nice work Benno,
Can I make a sugestion, when alcohol is involved maybe some braked castors wouldn't go astray :cheers:

Here's what I did with my spare rear seat of my GQ a few years back..... put it together with my spare and very rusted XY.....

·
Gunner
4,165 Posts
Nice work Benno,
Can I make a sugestion, when alcohol is involved maybe some braked castors wouldn't go astray :cheers:

Here's what I did with my spare rear seat of my GQ a few years back..... put it together with my spare and very rusted XY.....

Very Very nice, I like, did you keep it. Hope so. Engine coffee table and you are set.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah mate, still got it. It's in memory of my old XY GS......:(
And yes, been keeping an eye out for maybe an old rangie block to put the glass top on, nice and light.

Cheers,:cheers:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts