Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Just curious to know what rpm your GU TD42Ti does at 100km/hr?
What tyres? Standard or not
What dif ratio?

I'm trying to work out my wheel & dif combination. ATM I don't know as I have bought my GU with a blown engine & am theorising as to what might be compatible for me.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan GU iv 2006
1,717 Posts
Hey mate, at 110kph mine sits at 2500rpm (265/70/17 cooper st)
the diif ratio is 3.9

If you look on the d/s of the engine bay at the compliance plate it will tell you what diff you currently have(as long as its original) it will say HG39 or HG41 etc.
I'm currently trying to find funds to put 4.1's in because fully loaded with the camper trailer on it struggles to take off up hills.
Can I ask what happened to the engine??

·
Registered
402 Posts
My GU sits at 2600rpm @ 100ks By GPS with 285x 75 x16 MTZ tyres and 4.3Diffs (changed from 3.9)
Cheers Dave..

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
With some googling and a spreadsheet you should be able to throw a calculator together.]\

Then you can throw in various values and see what combination gives you what you want.
Eg diff ratios, rolling radius of wheels, 4th gear or 5th gear, low range ratios.

·
Registered
nissan/gq patrol
589 Posts
somewhere around 2200-2400, 35" wheels with 4.6:1 diffs

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey mate, at 110kph mine sits at 2500rpm (265/70/17 cooper st)
the diif ratio is 3.9

If you look on the d/s of the engine bay at the compliance plate it will tell you what diff you currently have(as long as its original) it will say HG39 or HG41 etc.
I'm currently trying to find funds to put 4.1's in because fully loaded with the camper trailer on it struggles to take off up hills.
Can I ask what happened to the engine??

Yep it runs 3.9's. Seems like not all standard TD42Ti's are the same which would indicate diferent ratios in difs only. This good as it will give me a great scope on variences
I asked the same question on another site & he sat on 2200rpm @ 100k/h. That's quite low. Don't know whether that weakens the acceleration factor if you were to want to overtake. My Gq with 4.6's ran at 2750rpm @ 100k/h with 37's with speedo only out by 4kms. Now she has 32's & sits 2950rpm @ 100k/h. Swapping the difs I think is not an option before she heads off to new owner on Sat as I think that it will be too high. Seems that 4.3's are on the cards.

By all means I would still like to hear from anyone else with any combo as this is a great reference for many.

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As for whay it blew up???

I bought the truck with a blown engine very cheap. AND with no history.
As it stands after machinining & sending parts for checkups....

4 melted pistons
valve seats loose
worn valve guides
injector nozzles failed
block companion bores cracked
radiator blocked & worn a hole 3/4's down due to plastic cowling rubbing
Turbo inducing oil.

Crank & bearings are good
Head not cracked

Seems to me that this truck was a tow vehicle somewhere in Mudgee. Tow ball worn & I think it overheated due to leak & bad injectors.

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
X2

Off topic, but by any chance did you used to have a landcruiser ute, with a lot of custom work?

No not me. I have driven "Fred's Hill" with a metalic red custom along with us. She was a nice truck.

I had a Comped up Big Blue Hilux ute rego FAT44X. She was pretty amazing truck. I hung out at Appin, Menai.

Now thats a truck that broke alot of difs LOL

·
Registered
nissan
113 Posts
To make an accurate record i would think the speed should be taken from a gps unit and not the vehicle speedo.

·
Registered
nissan GU iv 2006
1,717 Posts
yeh mate thats how it works for most people
3.9's crap
4.1's for 32's touring
4.3's for 33"
4.6's for 35"
I'm pretty sure the TD42T and Ti's all come with 3.9's, one mate has a 99 and another a 2000 and they have 3.9's aswell.

How many k's on it when it went bang??

·
Registered
Nissan
586 Posts
3.9's crap
4.1's for 32's touring
4.3's for 33"
4.6's for 35"
I'm pretty sure the TD42T and Ti's all come with 3.9's, one mate has a 99 and another a 2000 and they have 3.9's aswell.

I have read that when the 100 Landcruiser 4.2 turbo was tested against the gu 4.2t in acceleration, the toyota easily beat the Nissan. Apart from the fact that the Nissan was lightly turboed form factory, the 3.9 seemed to have let it down badly as the Toyota had 4.11 diffs.

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
3.9's crap
4.1's for 32's touring
4.3's for 33"
4.6's for 35"

I thought that 4.6's would be too hi as 2750rpm at 100k/h is with 37's.

It crapped itself at 270k due to radiator & injectors...prolly under heavy load. Ironically a tow truck friend of mine said he towed an exact truck from Tamworth to Lansvale Sydney that was identical to mine about 4 months ago that had identical issue. Wonder if it was mine as I've only bought it a month ago. He said that the mechanic quoted 15k to fix the engine. That is alot to charge.

·
Registered
nissan
246 Posts
isin´t the 2.8 patrol original with 4.60???

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,052 Posts
I run 4.3's in my gq and at 100kmh it sits on 2400 rpm with 33's. I recently did the swap from 4.11's and the load factor is very noticeable with the change. It allows the engine to accelerates alot easier and is alot nicer to drive, more responsive.

http://www.4lo.com/calc/gearratio.htm

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 19 of 19 Posts