Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
BATTLE AXE
nissan
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all have been having troubles with my speedo in my 89 GQ for a little while now and have just replaced the sensor off the transfer case.
The one that i took out has a black gear one it with the number 1 cast into the housing, now the replacement one has a yellow gear and a number 2 cast into the housing - will this new gear work?
I'm pretty sure that the yellow gear is out of a petrol and mine being the diesel if that makes any difference.

The problem i've been having is that the needle on the dial shoots straight around to 200 (or where it would probably be!) as soon as it gets a signal. Sometimes it we spring back into line (reads correctly) when driving - most times not.
Any help greatly appreciated
Thanks

·
BATTLE AXE
nissan
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mate it's the same as the old one only with a yellow gear and the number 2 in the casting, it's the seems to be exactly the same as the one i replaced - the gears meshed up and all.
It's currently in the car - bolted straight in no problems.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
It'll work but if you count the teeth it will be a different by 1 extra so the accuracy will change (possibly for the better if your lucky). There are 4 cogs available and the different # of teeth are for the different diff ratios ex factory but you can also cheat and change them to recalibrate the speedo for tyre size as well... sounds like you went from 3.9 (Black) to 4.1 (Yellow) to me but could easily be wrong

Intermittent off scale high on the speedo is more often a problem in the electonic circuit board in the dash cluster but a sensor swap is heaps easy so is often the best thing to try first

·
BATTLE AXE
nissan
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that's what i thought - It would probably be the actual speedo it self but wanted to try the "cheap" option first.
Thanks for that

1 - 5 of 5 Posts