Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol y62
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys :)

We have had our Y62 for a month or so now and are loving it! However we have come across a problem with the speedo..........we have calculated that it reads approx. 9-10 kms over the actual speed we are travelling (ie speedo says 110, we are only doing 100). We have contacted our dealer in regards to it and have been told that it is a known problem across 'the range' (not sure if this is limited to the Y62 or if it's across the entire Nissan range). They advised us to contact Nissan Australia and lodge our concern as they (Nissan Australia) aren't doing anything about the issue (ie they are refusing to recalibrate affected vehicles). Nissan Australia have told us that the variation is within tolerance(?)

Is anyone else having this issue? and if you are, what action are you/have you taken?

·
Registered
nissan
770 Posts
Mine is the same, I have a scanguage plugged in which gives a completely accurate reading so I just go by that, doesn't bother me too much

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
Both my dad and I have y62s. Mine reads 119k/h at a true 107k/h(satellite), his reads about 121. So yours that reads 9k/h is better than both of ours. Nissan service refuse to fix the issue. As you said the dealer says it's "within tolerance". This is BS.

Also worth noting is that the cruise control and the speedo read differently. The Ti-L lets you set the cruise speed digitally. At 107 actual (satellite) speed the cruise is set at 115k/h and the speedo reads 119k/h.

I have the corrections memorised, basically add 15k/h to the speed limit and set the adaptive cruise at that. That puts you at 7k/h over which isn't enough to get a ticket in nsw.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
554 Posts
Can't do that in nanny state(vic)

108 on ours is pretty much 99/100. Due to police booking people at just 2km over, can't afford the risk especially now that they can book you going down or up a hill!!!

The only reason nissan do nothing about it is due to the laws. With 10% is acceptable. Hence my kluger is about 5kms out but my previous commodore was bang on ( due to wheel change) Our Merc was
Just 2kms off.

You get to know where "real" 100 is so go by this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
490 Posts
My Y61 was similar, changed to 285/75/16's which are larger in diameter than the standard 265/65/17's & it now reads 1 or 2 under the actual speed vs GP, so if I sit just under or on the limit I'm pretty safe (even in the nanny state!!!).

The thing to also keep in mind;
If it's reading 9% over actual you are racking up the km's on the vehicle faster, therefore adding to depreciation & also servicing costs over the long term.........
If it's really annoying & Nissan wash their hands of it (as they can if it's within ADR tolerance), you can get the speedo re-calibrated however at a cost.

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
The thing to also keep in mind;
If it's reading 9% over actual you are racking up the km's on the vehicle faster, therefore adding to depreciation & also servicing costs over the long term.........
If it's really annoying & Nissan wash their hands of it (as they can if it's within ADR tolerance), you can get the speedo re-calibrated however at a cost.
That's the most annoying part - I have checked the odometer vs satellite distances few times on long trips and it is within 1%. One time the GPS said 86.4km and the odometer/ trip meter was 87.6km. If the speedo error was caused by bad measurement the odo wouldn't be right.

The truck knows how fast it's really going, it's just not telling us!

If anyone else can replicate this test I would be interested to know the results.

·
Registered
nissan
770 Posts
it's certainly not common just to nissan, most cars do it these days, our vw golf is out by a similar margin.

·
Registered
nissan patrol y62
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going out on the road today to check the speedo/distance. This is what concerns us most (adding extra k's that we aren't doing), and the extra servicing costs.
Will let you know how I go :)
We are considering taking this issue further with Nissan Australia, as advised by our dealer. Our dealer seems to think that if we get enough people calling them and logging their issues Nissan will start thinking about rectifying it. I'm guessing that if the Nissan Dealer is telling us this is a common issue and to get onto Nissan Australia it must be fairly rampant throughout the Y62's. We could live with it being a couple of k's out but creeping up to 10 (and in some of your cases more) is not acceptable (even though it seems to be legal!!!!).
It would be great if you have an issue with your speedo that you call Nissan Australia to let them know. The more issues we have logged the better :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol y62
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Y61 was similar, changed to 285/75/16's which are larger in diameter than the standard 265/65/17's & it now reads 1 or 2 under the actual speed vs GP, so if I sit just under or on the limit I'm pretty safe (even in the nanny state!!!).

Does changing the tyre size void the new car warranty?

·
Registered
nissan patrol y62
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have just done a small test (60km) to see if the odometer was reading higher than it should have been and it seems to be pretty much spot on correct. We have a roadtrip coming up in the next couple of weeks so I will be able to do a long distance test (approx. 700km) then.
Speedo error varies from 5km/hour (at 30km up to 60km) to 9km (110km).

·
Registered
nissan patrol
554 Posts
Pretty sure that the odo would be accurate. It is just the speedo in my opinion that is set out

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
Pretty sure that the odo would be accurate. It is just the speedo in my opinion that is set out

Well that sucks. So they are deliberately being inaccurate? Why would they do that?

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y62 Ti-L
61 Posts
Speedo Accuracy

The accuracy of vehicle speedos is covered by Australian Design Rule 18. Until July 2006 this rule specified an accuracy of +/- 10 percent of the vehicle’s true speed when the vehicle was travelling above 40km/h.

That is, at a true vehicle speed of 100km/h the speedo was allowed to indicate between 90km/h and 110km/h.

An odometer accuracy of +/- 4 percent was also a requirement.

From 1 July 2006 newly introduced models of a vehicle available on the market must comply with ADR 18/03. Also, from 1 July 2007 any newly manufactured vehicle (excluding mopeds) must comply with this rule.

This new rule requires that the speedo must not indicate a speed less than the vehicle’s true speed or a speed greater than the vehicle’s true speed by an amount more than 10 percent plus 4 km/h. Significantly, this change means that speedos must always read 'safe', meaning that the vehicle's true speed must not be higher than the speed indicated by the speedo.

That is, at a true vehicle speed of 100km/h the speedo must read between 100km/h and 114km/h. An alternative way to look at it is; at an indicated speed of 100km/h, the vehicle's true speed must be between 87.3 km/h and 100km/h.

Significantly, this change means that speedos must always read ‘safe’, meaning that they are not permitted to read lower than the actual speed of the vehicle.

Additionally, there is now no requirement to have an odometer, and therefore there is no accuracy requirement.

This change was made to align Australian vehicle rules with those already in place in Europe.

Note that some vehicle manufacturers chose to comply with the new rule before 1 July 2006. This is acceptable.

·
Registered
nissan patrol y62
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you think that it is acceptable for a manufacturer to produce vehicles with inaccurate speedos just because it's within the law though? Surely we, as consumers, can stand up and say this is not acceptable, and that we would like something done about it. I realise that this is not limited to Nissan Patrols. However, when there seems to be so many of us out there that do have this problem, in this specific vehicle, it would be nice to think that if enough owners got onto Nissan Australia they would do something about it.

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
Do you think that it is acceptable for a manufacturer to produce vehicles with inaccurate speedos just because it's within the law though? Surely we, as consumers, can stand up and say this is not acceptable, and that we would like something done about it. I realise that this is not limited to Nissan Patrols. However, when there seems to be so many of us out there that do have this problem, in this specific vehicle, it would be nice to think that if enough owners got onto Nissan Australia they would do something about it.
Agree. The consumer protection laws say that we are entitled to expect a product to perform in a manner commensurate with its cost. Considering that the ECM knows exactly how fast the truck is going surely it's not unreasonable to expect this info be passed on to the owner accurately.

·
Registered
nissan patrol y62
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
have been speaking to consumer protection today (after a VERY unsuccessful conversation with Nissan Australia - seems they like repeating the same thing over and over and not answering questions asked). As a few of you have already stated this is an extremely common problem across all makes and models. The guy I spoke to used to work for the RAC doing vehicle testing and he said that it would be very rare for a car to test accurately. How ridiculous is that!!! So I guess when we are sitting behind a car going slow we can only assume that they are unaware their speedo is inaccurate. Oh, and he also mentioned that even GPS's have a built in tolerance so they aren't 100% accurate either..................

·
Registered
nissan
207 Posts
there is an easy fix, buy a $250 GPS (TomTom or similar) to ensure you are travelling at the correct speed..
the amount of effort and energy you will waste chasing down this red herring will not be worth it (trust me there are better things to worry about !!)

the only vehicle I have ever been in that had a correct speedo reading the same as the GPS was a Y61!!

cheers

squiz

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
have been speaking to consumer protection today (after a VERY unsuccessful conversation with Nissan Australia - seems they like repeating the same thing over and over and not answering questions asked). As a few of you have already stated this is an extremely common problem across all makes and models. The guy I spoke to used to work for the RAC doing vehicle testing and he said that it would be very rare for a car to test accurately. How ridiculous is that!!! So I guess when we are sitting behind a car going slow we can only assume that they are unaware their speedo is inaccurate. Oh, and he also mentioned that even GPS's have a built in tolerance so they aren't 100% accurate either..................
GPS units have an error, which is different to a deliberately introduced offset from the actual known speed.

I think that's the key to getting this fixed. We aren't talking about a tolerance here, tolerance implies that there is an allowance for the inherent error in the instrumentation. But we can prove the system is accurate (because the odo is accurate), but it has an deliberate arbitrary offset applied that results in a decrease in accuracy rather than an allowance for inaccuracy. It's resonable to expect that a speedometer reports the best known data. A GPS that deliberately plotted your location as being an arbitrary distance further away from the known location wouldn't be considered fit for purpose.

·
Registered
nissan
770 Posts
I have a free app on my phone that does the same thing, buy a phone cradle and have it sitting in front of you as you drive (offset to the left of course)
easy fix.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts