Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gday - just got home from a good day out with the 4bys, and as usual the nissan had to recover a landcruiser :D

the only problem i had was while i was crossing a creek (about 1m deep) the car started to splutter as though running on a few less cyclinders (i got through but had hardly no power). After i drove for 3mins it came good again. It also happened again after hitting a large puddle of water. I realise this is quite possible since its a 99 GU Wagon 4.5L Petty but would like to know what would have caused it and if there is any solutions to fix it. It seems to have a distributor and i had a quick look at it and it seem leak proof - is there anything else i should be checkin??

Appreciate any help on this as i wouldnt like it to stop in a metre of water next time.

Cheers and Thanks!

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
1,610 Posts
It is usually a bit of water gets into the plugs Also run a breather from the distributor (like a diff breather) also silicone the dizzy cap on so water definatly wont get in.

What i do with mine is actually silicone the leads to the plugs, this is a little trick i picked up from work as many old barinas had problems and now this is a common practice. only problem with this is every time you change plugs leads also need changing (every 100000kms so its no big deal)

It is dropping cylinders and as the water dissipates the symptoms will cease.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Rubber glove over the distributor can do the trick. One lead out of 4 fingers, and two leads out of the thumb.

·
Registered
nissan
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks - so is there any other likely place that would cause this. Like say the spark plugs?

how do you run a breather off the distributor?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts