Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
recently I had an issue with 1991 Y60 (2,8TD), after about half an hour drive, staying in the traffic jam, the engine spontaneously stopped (no strange sounds, just like switching it off normally). It was turning over but would not fire. The next day, it started without any troubles, there was enough fuel in the tank.
Mechanics then checked tank vents and fuel pump, but there was not any clear problems, all the filters are new.

Would anyone know what could have caused the problem? Bit worried that it could happen again in a worse situation...

Many thanks!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked that as well with a multimeter, but seems to be OK, there would have to be some short circuit which appears only under some "unknown" circumstances - seemed improbable to me... I will double-check the wiring once again anyway. Thanks!

·
Registered
436 Posts
What ever it is will be hard to find given you can only really test for it while it wont start :)

I suggested that one because I have seen it before.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ignition switch.
Did mine recently - the inside of the ignition keyed switch contacts gets loose, dirty and oxydised.
Open circuits the ignition (like turning off the key)
Can be cleaned (if you know what you're doing) or replaced.

·
Safari Hoarder
4,693 Posts
X2

You could carry a jumper wire in case it happens again and connect to the shutoff solenoid.

Try playing with ignition switch while it's running

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently had a similar problem with a tb42. Drive to work one day fine and then would not start that afternoon. Had air, spark and fuel but no dice. Ended up being an intermittent fault with the fuel pump after diagnosis by auto electrician. Replaced pump and no problem since. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts