ARB : IPF HID 900
TJM : Lightforce Venom HID
Work Contact : Hella Predator IX

Any comments one way or another?
Cheers.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
I like the Lightforce, I have XGT240 converted to 55W HID, but have not seen their new range yet so hard to comment. I had some IPF Extreme the 800 series rectangular and the light was good but because they were metal with glass, they were quite heavy and they vibrated a lot on corrugated roads at night.

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
I also like the Lightforce XGT's, I've even smashed the lens on one (my own fault and had no cover on it) and emailed lightforce to see if I could get parts, they said they don't do parts but they could look at it for repair. So I sent it back with postage paid on them and got a call a few days later saying they could repair it, and it would cost me $80 to cover postage and parts. I said no dramas and paid up, another couple of days later a package arrived with a brand new XGT 240 in the box.

Personally I found that to be exceptional service and back up. I had no warranty and the lens was smashed from me been an idiot.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Fyrlyt
Welcome to FYRLYT Driving Lights

Ive run Cibie super Oscars, LF 240 55 HID, IPF, Hellas, Smaller Narvas and many cheapies
Longest lasting have been LF 240, Fyrlyts only new but quite similar design
Gone off HID, too white, delay on start, lots of RF interference. Admittedly I havent used top shelf HID either.

·
Registered
nissan gu
355 Posts
I've got hella 4000's 55watt HID, just been on a trip and my mate had the 240 HID light force I ran up along side him and I didn't think there was much in it the LF put the beam out further but it wasn't what I would call usable light, you don't need to see 1km down the road, it's only what's 400-500 meters in front of you that you need to be looking out for and both lights did that.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
425 Posts
I have some old school narvas that I had on the mini for when I did the early morning drives up to Sydney from Canberra in my navy days. They are the 175 brands and have them on the pootrol now. Just need to find some spacers to stop them pointing to the horizon.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
17,237 Posts
I have got Narva bull lamps converted to 55w HID, can see the next day with them.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I am another vote for the Hella 4000s. Mine are still halogens but throw a very usable light. They have done a fair bit of outback corrugations and they haven't shifted their aim, or vibrate. I hate wobbly driving lights, developed by having cheap sets years ago.

·
Registered
Nissan
820 Posts
I have the IPF extremes HID 900s....and am more than happy with them.
Steel housings...waterproof and dustproof....and with the brilliant back-up of ARB. I had a small issue with one from new ...but light was replaced straight away no probs.

HTH.

Cheers Keith

·
Registered
nissan
141 Posts
I have the IPF extremes HID 900s....and am more than happy with them.
Steel housings...waterproof and dustproof....and with the brilliant back-up of ARB. I had a small issue with one from new ...but light was replaced straight away no probs.

HTH.

Cheers Keith
I'll 2nd these light, very happy with mine aswell. IPF 900 HID 35w ARB. I had Hella 4000's for some years, but these IPF HID's s*** all over them.

·
Registered
nissan
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers guys.
Just another question. I've read somewhere that with the HID's being so bright it can cause a few problems with the eyes adjusting when going from full beam + HID to low beam.

Any merit or just BS?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
Yes very true if you have factory Patrol headlights. lol

If you use HID in 4300K then it's not as noticeable as the colour variation isn't as bad being halogen is around 3700 to 3800K.

Cheers Mick

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,183 Posts
I agree with the comment on the difference between low and high beam when using HID. I found it very noticeable when compared to halogen lights. So did my father. We have both done mods in order to combat the problem on long drives. Good headlights and globes are the best starting point.

I also started switching the HID's off a while before dipping the rest of my lights. When out in the flat country you can have a long enough period before an approaching vehicle passes to make this worthwhile. I have the headlights and a set of halogen driving lights, and then Hella Rallye 4000 HID's. As the Hella's are very bright I need to turn them off early for the oncoming driver, but the others can be left on for quite a while. This still allows me to spot roos, and gives the old eyes time to adjust.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
59 Posts
Hav'nt had them personally but a guy showed me a Predator & 4000 mounted side by side (at night). There is no comparasim, mind you the Predators are pricey. They've been around for a long time. Must be a good light. Check with your insurance company first though, heard they dont cover cause there worth more than some cars. lol

·
Registered
nissan patrol
59 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,834 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts