Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search through the forums but can't find a thread that clarifies whether national compliance rules are in effect for numbers of and placement of spotlights.

Do the national road rules cover off the above?

The Mav currently has 4 spotties fitted, and after looking through some of the posts I am getting the feeling that the top pair of lights are illegal.

But then I see a whole swag of post 1998 vehicles which are running a brace of spotties on their roof bars/racks.

Can someone throw some light on what the go is on numbers and placement (I've spent a couple of hours trying to narrow it down in the ADR's but am going crosseyed.

·
"NOW TAKING BRIBES"
nissan
5,282 Posts
From my understanding, the rule states "you must only have 6 forward facing lights, IE 3 pairs"

·
Registered
102 Posts
A GOOD friend of mine got pulled up on roof mounted lights for a defect. He said they are work lights that he uses on the farm and got away with it, however if the cop didnt buy it, he was in for a defect.

Another good friend got pulled up just out of Yea in VIC for lights above the bullbar. I am not sure if it was the height of them, or the fact that they COULD be seen to create a blind spot, but he had to take them off there and then.

·
Registered
nissan
205 Posts
From my understanding, the rule states "you must only have 6 forward facing lights, IE 3 pairs"
Interesting wording they used. So does something like this classify as one light because its in the one housing, or three because there are three separate globes + reflectors ?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I'm pretty sure that anything mounted above or front of bulbar is illegal due to pedestrian safety. Ie fishrod holders, UHF brackets.

·
Banned
2,050 Posts
Hi,

Not sure about now, but in the ACT you couldn't have extra lights higher than the headlights. When I see a dual cab ute with lights at the back of the roof I wonder how much light will get to the road. They also have to be in pairs.

Regards B M

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it would be a damn sight easier if all states were consistent - hence my query re national road rules and federated compliance.

eg my house is in SA, I work in the ACT, but when I drove home I pass through 2 other state jurisdictions...

·
If you drive a box you get box
1,115 Posts
and that being an Evo 9, the very inner light is actually a fog light, not a main beam or high beam light

i know as much as here in SA its as follows

-no forward facing lights (spotties etc) above 1.5m from the ground - even having solid covers on them and having them switched off makes no difference
-only allowed a total of 8 forward facing white lights (parkers included, main beam included)
-no lights are allowed to be above the line of the panelwork, as they create a hazard to pedestrians in an accident (not that an antenna or even a bullbar is going to create a hazard to a pedestrian to begin with)

thats from first hand experience here

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
I'm pretty sure that anything mounted above or front of bulbar is illegal due to pedestrian safety. Ie fishrod holders, UHF brackets.
It's a bit of a grey area for pre 1991 vehicles. The ADR's say there's no height restrictions for driving lights for vehicles pre 1991 but there are also vehicle standards bulletins as appendixes to ADR's which have other restrictions in place to address various configurations.
What is constituted as the top of a bull bar? The horizontal flat part of the bar near the bottom of the grill? Some bars have no bar work above this line or the barwork is lower than the bonnet so is that constituted as the top of the bar?
There is another ADR ruling that seems to cover this. That is that the driver must be able to see a horizontal line 11 metres in front of the vehicle without obstruction of anything on the bar and if there is it must be 75mm or less in diameter.
Fishing rod holders, antenna brackets, lights etc must not protrude in front of any part of the barwork.

·
Registered
nissan
446 Posts
The ADRs call high beam main beam and low beam is passing beam.

This is straight from the comlaw website which has all the ADRs on it.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/legislation/LegislativeInstrument1.nsf/0/AE1B9990DB386491CA2570D50006B802/$file/ADR+13-00+[FINAL+FRLI].pdf

7.3. DRIVING LAMPS
7.3.1. Presence: Optional on motor vehicles. Prohibited on trailers.
7.3.2. Number:
7.3.2.1. Two or four.
7.3.2.2. To be used in conjunction with headlamps.
7.3.3. Arrangement
No individual specifications
7.3.4. Position
7.3.4.1. In width no individual specifications.
7.3.4.2. In height: no individual specifications.
7.3.4.3. In length: at the front of the vehicle and fitted in such a way that
the light emitted does not cause discomfort to the driver either
directly or indirectly through the rear-view mirrors and/or other
reflecting surfaces of the vehicle.
7.3.5. Geometric visibility
No individual specifications.
7.3.6. Orientation
Towards the front.
7.3.7. Electrical connections
The driving lamps must be able to be lighted only when the mainbeam
headlamps switch is in the “lamps on” position.
7.3.8. Tell tale: No requirement.
7.3.9. Others
The aggregate maximum intensity of the main-beam headlamps
as specified in paragraph 6.1.9.1 of Appendix A can be exceeded
with the fitment and illumination of driving lamps. Driving lamps
do not have to comply with ADR 46/….

·
Registered
378 Posts
all the states used to use vsb 9 as there guide to lighting but last i heard it was out of date and being re written as some trucks are federally regoed so the rules were the same aus wide i have a copy of the out of date vsb 9 but its no help anymore

·
Registered
139 Posts
a lot depends on the person who pulls you over
& their interpretation of the rules.
Son had 4 lights on roll bar,not connected,
only for looks plus white covers on all the
time. One person said fine & another said no good
XR8 twin headlights plus 4 spots too many,
depends on individual i guess. That was in SA!

Daryl

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One person said fine & another said no good
XR8 twin headlights plus 4 spots too many,
depends on individual i guess. That was in SA!

Daryl
SA has always been inconsistent for me,

eg I used to have vans when younger, one of them was a Terrier truck alloy V8 transplant in my XA van, FMX box, 12's on the rear, 8's on the front, deseamed turret, one piece gate, doug thorleys etc..... I used to get pulled over for the bagpipes. Never got done on track, tyres or engine. we had a bloke in the club who had twin turbos on an L34 in an HX, but a complete sleeper. Thebarton (the original place where roadworthys were done) didn't blink

yet both my rangies went through without a blink. 351's and C4/C10's - again, subtle mods, no stand out gear, no attention gear

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
In WA (and most/all other states I assume but could be wrong) Spotties on Bull Bars above bonnet level are defectable not because of the lights per se but because they obscure the drivers visibity and present a hazard to pedestrians if you smash 'em with your 'Trol... like it or lump it, sensible or not, thats the way of it and the nice Policeman will defect you if you p1ss him off enough.

99% don't care but just because they don't defect you it doesn't make it technically OK.

Roof bar mounted lights they will usually ignore especially if they have covers on them and you swear they are for offroad use only... get caught using them onroad IE erupting over the Hill at 110 on the highway and blinding the copper coming the other way and your rrse is grass

·
Registered
nissan
628 Posts
ive got 4 spotties on the bull bar, connected to main lights (high)
when i get my roof rack, another 4 will be going onto that and connected to the 4wd indicator light in the dash. so i can only use them when in 4wd.
no idea of the legalities but not a bad idea i think.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
The ADRs call high beam main beam and low beam is passing beam.

This is straight from the comlaw website which has all the ADRs on it.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/legislation/LegislativeInstrument1.nsf/0/AE1B9990DB386491CA2570D50006B802/$file/ADR+13-00+[FINAL+FRLI].pdf

7.3. DRIVING LAMPS
7.3.1. Presence: Optional on motor vehicles. Prohibited on trailers.
7.3.2. Number:
7.3.2.1. Two or four.
7.3.2.2. To be used in conjunction with headlamps.
7.3.3. Arrangement
No individual specifications
7.3.4. Position
7.3.4.1. In width no individual specifications.
7.3.4.2. In height: no individual specifications.
7.3.4.3. In length: at the front of the vehicle and fitted in such a way that
the light emitted does not cause discomfort to the driver either
directly or indirectly through the rear-view mirrors and/or other
reflecting surfaces of the vehicle.
7.3.5. Geometric visibility
No individual specifications.
7.3.6. Orientation
Towards the front.
7.3.7. Electrical connections
The driving lamps must be able to be lighted only when the mainbeam
headlamps switch is in the “lamps on” position.
7.3.8. Tell tale: No requirement.
7.3.9. Others
The aggregate maximum intensity of the main-beam headlamps
as specified in paragraph 6.1.9.1 of Appendix A can be exceeded
with the fitment and illumination of driving lamps. Driving lamps
do not have to comply with ADR 46/….
I carry a copy of this in my glovebox. (Bold by me)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts