Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just wondering about the legality of spotties on the front of roof racks in qld. I've checked out the modification booklet and it says you cant have spotties mounted on the top bar of the bull bar, but the way it is worded is very vague and could apply to roof racks as well. Has anybody had any bad experiences with this or run ins with the cops?

Cheers
Kenn

·
Registered
nissan
1,207 Posts
Is i understood it, aftermarket general usage spot lights are not allowed to be higher than the factory lights.

I believe if you have covers fitted (non see through type) over the roof lights when driving around on public roads, you should not have any issue. (mate was told same by a cop)

Lights on top of the bullbar would also come under the same legal problems as fishing rod holders (not following the bar profile) and would also restrict drivers view (same as bonnet scoop laws), so doubt they could ever be legal even with covers.

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
Have to be no higher than centre of main lights, and placed equal centres across the front of the vehicle between the main lights. Never ever seen it enforced in all my years, now we got the yankeeee influence 20 across the top, cant see a thing in fog or dust further than 20 feet.

·
Registered
Nissan
314 Posts
cops don't like it, they can defect you!
if you do want it, make sure they are covered up and not plugged in or a switch outside the car so it can't be switched on from inside the car! LIGHTFORCE PROMOCARS drive around with them like that.
as long as they can't ping you on anything else!
anyway, it's still illegal but if not connected and/or unplugged you can have anything on your roof really!

·
Chev 6.5 litre V8: no substitute for cubic inches
nissan patrol
2,633 Posts
The way I understand it, there are 2 different issues here. This applies to SA, don't know about QLD.....

1). Headlights: the top of your normal headlights cannot be more than 1200mm above the ground.

2). Driving lights. They MUST be on the front of the vehicle. They MUST NOT obstruct the driver's view of the road (meaning you cannot have them on top of the bullbar).

So, on a Patrol, this means they cannot be any higher than the headlights effectively and must be on the bullbar, between the headlights.

However, the way I interpret the rules, if you had (for example) a cab-over type rig (say an Oka or a Canter), then you could have the driving spot lights above the windscreen because they meet the criteria set out in 2 (above).

Apparently, the whole idea of not permitting them to be placed on the roof of a rig like a Patrol (or other similar wagon/ute) is that they could/may/will throw light onto the bonnet (distracting to the driver) or if they are mounted further back (eg: on the rollbar of a ute/dual cab), they may throw light into the wing mirrors (distracting to the driver).

I know it's all bullchit but that's the way it is. I know a bloke in Melbourne who has a well set-up Troopie and it has 3 HID spotties on a bar just above his windscreen....never has a problem with the cops.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
893 Posts
LIGHTFORCE PROMOCARS drive around with them like that.
i was at lightforce the other day looking at some genisus but they dont fit but anyway the moral is they got defected and had to take them off the roof he was saying it was two measurements from the front of the car and a height level

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
Bloody hell that old regulation has been watered down, its gone from an old Traffic act regulation to a "Vehicle Standards Policy" meaning you can argue the point but they can change the rules anytime they like for any reason, just make a new policy, in a nutshell - no height restriction now in Qld on driving lights, just white and no dazzle for driver or oncoming driver, and be fitted symmetrically - evenly spaced, and no wider than standard fitted high beam. must comply with ADR's and switched with high beam on a separate on/off switch. you may fit two additional pairs of lights ( 4 in total) and two fog lights (6 in total) , but the rules are more stringent on fog lights no less than 600mm apart, no less than 250, from ground and no higher than centre of low beam headlight, and separately switched only when parkers are on.

It really chits me the way govt departments are going now with "policy manuals" for everything - Guidelines for the witless and the inane who take forever to make up their minds whether to wipe their bums of not - is it hard or soft, wet or dry, lumpy or smooth.

Just ask some moron over the counter if you can sight the relevant Policy Manual, there will be a Policy on whether they can do that!!!!!

·
Registered
nissan
1,207 Posts
He-he, i know what you mean....... so now we still need to find out what Australian Design Rules specify about spot lights etc then ?

·
Registered
nissan
198 Posts
In country QLD and had them on the roof of the last car and have them on my current car. Never had any problems when going through RBT's or next to cops in traffic. No idea on legalities. Roadworthy guy was happy with them though.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hi A4B, ADRs are only guide lines and each state’s road authority can either adopt it or set their own rules.

This is only half the problem, if a police officer takes offence to the colour of your T shirt, he can still slap a defect notice on the vehicle and right or wrong it will still cost you.

Hi CQCraig, the only time in 30 years of having driving lights on the roof of all my vehicle that I was warned about them, was at an RBT stop and the officer simply told me to make sure the Sergeant didn’t see them while I was stopped.

I also had the last 10 years of roof lights on quick fit and remove roof racks or the likes so not to invite trouble while they were illegal.

·
Registered
Nissan
328 Posts
From memory they can't be higher than 1500mm from the ground which means not on the roof . The problem is that you are blinding oncoming traffic as you are cresting hills long before you see his lights and dip yours . And also any light on a vehicle MUST work or you will be booked and defected so having an external switch will see you pinged by the RTA .

·
Registered
nissan patrol
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Appreciate it.
Offroadjack raises a good point. Although it appears they're legal (thanks drivesafe for the link), they do attract attention and the lights will probably be the least of my worries with bigger lift and tyres.

With you all the way allananicol! Been asking myself alot lately why we pay to live in a society where we're constantly told all the things we can't do

1 - 13 of 13 Posts