Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Patrol GU Y61 ZD30 DI
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys after some info/advice on fitting spring coil spacers front and rear. Currently have 3 inch superior lift and running 35” muddies. Looking at 30-50mm spacers for extra lift, any advice on pros/cons and potential problems would be appreciated.
thanks

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,204 Posts
In my experience they eventually split, over the years this has happened to me twice with an extra 30mm on the rear so ripped them out. Go with longer springs and longer shocks.
My 2 cents worth.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,204 Posts
How long did you get out of them and did they damage anything when they split?
First lot lasted several years, second lot lasted maybe 2 years, no damage to anything else, just a pain in the arse, got 30mm longer springs for the back and all good, will never be an issue again.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First lot lasted several years, second lot lasted maybe 2 years, no damage to anything else, just a pain in the arse, got 30mm longer springs for the back and all good, will never be an issue again.
Fair enough. I guess I am just looking for an extra 2 inches without spending heaps or doing much so I might give them a go. Are they hard to install?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,204 Posts
Fair enough. I guess I am just looking for an extra 2 inches without spending heaps or doing much so I might give them a go. Are they hard to install?
You will need spring compressors and a jack that can lift the Patrol high enough.

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
7,201 Posts
2 ratchet straps work just as well if you know how to use them properly.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,204 Posts
There is no way I'm going to recommend straps and fencing wire to a new member who's mechanical ability is an unknown. My suggestion of spring compressors is a good safe way to do it and not that expensive, I've had mine for eons and used them many times on different vehicles. I reckon he will be doing it again in the not too distant future so they will not be wasted money. Dave you make up your mind, no responsibility taken from this end.
My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is no way I'm going to recommend straps and fencing wire to a new member who's mechanical ability is an unknown. My suggestion of spring compressors is a good safe way to do it and not that expensive, I've had mine for eons and used them many times on different vehicles. I reckon he will be doing it again in the not too distant future so they will not be wasted money. Dave you make up your mind, no responsibility taken from this end.
My 2 cents worth.
I agree, my mechanical ability is questionable but my welding and fabrication skills are good so believe it or not I’m not even sure if I’m joking about tacking a bit of steel to hold them.. but yeah nah don’t stress I am not entertaining the thought of zip ties and duct tape or wire straps or whatever. I think my mate has some spring compressors anyways if not I’ll make some cheers

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,204 Posts
I agree, my mechanical ability is questionable but my welding and fabrication skills are good so believe it or not I’m not even sure if I’m joking about tacking a bit of steel to hold them.. but yeah nah don’t stress I am not entertaining the thought of zip ties and duct tape or wire straps or whatever. I think my mate has some spring compressors anyways if not I’ll make some cheers
Personally, I would not weld anything to them because the heat of welding in a concentrated zone may interfere with spring heat treatment.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Never weld springs or structural bolts :( Even chassis rails are included.
If you fit extra lift with spacers, coils may bottom out on compression, shocks will probably top out causing damage in them or associated areas.
Thats why suspension kits and designed by Suspension Engineers and not roadside tinkerers. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Never weld springs or structural bolts :( Even chassis rails are included.
If you fit extra lift with spacers, coils may bottom out on compression, shocks will probably top out causing damage in them or associated areas.
Thats why suspension kits and designed by Suspension Engineers and not roadside tinkerers. :)
Thanks mate good advice and info. Except the welding part.. Weld EVERYTHING!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts