Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Y61 ZD30 Series 3
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Gas Coil spring Machine Auto part
On the left is the right coil for reference.

G’day,
I recently got a 2 inch bilstein kit on the patrol put in, and the guy at fulcrum said it didn’t come up high enough, so he put in 30mm spacers. Just picked the car up after getting the spacers installed and hopped under the car to have a look. I’m not a mechanic by any means, but I was hoping if you guys could tell me what is going on.

It doesn’t look like the left spring in sitting correctly, when comparing it to the right spring. Could someone tell me if this is normal or if there’s a problem.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Wood Bumper Automotive tire Gas Motor vehicle
Above is the left coil that doesn’t look right to me.

·
Registered
4x4
12 Posts
They do not appear to be the correct diameter springs and not sitting on the spring hats properly. I replaced my front ones years ago and never had a seating issue
View attachment 546119 On the left is the right coil for reference.

G’day,
I recently got a 2 inch bilstein kit on the patrol put in, and the guy at fulcrum said it didn’t come up high enough, so he put in 30mm spacers. Just picked the car up after getting the spacers installed and hopped under the car to have a look. I’m not a mechanic by any means, but I was hoping if you guys could tell me what is going on.

It doesn’t look like the left spring in sitting correctly, when comparing it to the right spring. Could someone tell me if this is normal or if there’s a problem. View attachment 546117
View attachment 546118 Above is the left coil that doesn’t look right to me.
No mate that spring is not seated correctly it should sit down on the flat area not on the hat.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
21,830 Posts
Appears to be wrong springs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The spring looks like the correct part number from what I can see of it. Probably just the bottom coil has jammed up on the seat. I would jack it up again to take the load off the spring and try to get it to sit probably on the lower hat,

·
Registered
1998 Nissan Patrol Wagon RD28ETi
441 Posts
Google that number printed on the coil spring (KDFR42 - looks like a King Spring number) and you should be able to check what the specs are. The left spring is always about 1/2 an inch shorter than the right spring. At full flex, that spring is likely to fall out.

Have you jacked up your car to look underneath? as this will extend the suspension to it's max drop. Have you parked your car on level ground? does it look level - measure the height from bottom of rim to wheel arch on each side. The measurement should be the same (+/- a couple of mm). Check the number on the right spring it should be KDFR42 R/H. wash off the bottom spring mount and see where the coil seat is - it will be a visible dip where the end of the coil should sit.

I notice in your first pic of the left side there is a nut on top of the coil tower. I assume this is to bolt the nolathane coil spacer in place? As someone above said, the coil needs rotating so the bottom of the coil seats properly. To do this the coil spacer needs to be unbolted.

How much did you pay them to install the lift kit and the spacers? did they install offset radius arm bushes? Also from your pics, your bump stops are broken off as well.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,666 Posts
That is the worst install I've seen in ages. I hope they're assisting in sorting this out! As @RoBoCoP mentioned you need to sort out the bump stops as well.

·
Registered
96 TD42 GQ2 wagon
538 Posts
That is the worst install I've seen in ages. I hope they're assisting in sorting this out! As @RoBoCoP mentioned you need to sort out the bump stops as well.
I have a new set of springs to put in soon, actually going to replace the exact same ones in the ops pic and was wondering what about the bump stop should he sort out? cheers.

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
7,201 Posts
I have a new set of springs to put in soon, actually going to replace the exact same ones in the ops pic and was wondering what about the bump stop should he sort out? cheers.
The OP’s running factory bump stops that have the ball section missing. They SHOULD look like the pic below.

Gas Font Drinkware Cylinder Audio equipment

·
Registered
96 TD42 GQ2 wagon
538 Posts
View attachment 546119 On the left is the right coil for reference.

G’day,

It doesn’t look like the left spring in sitting correctly, when comparing it to the right spring. Could someone tell me if this is normal or if there’s a problem. View attachment 546117
View attachment 546118 Above is the left coil that doesn’t look right to me.
How did you go with this? I just this last couple days fitted 4 new springs, the ones I pulled out I put in 17 years ago so had forgotten what's up. Both my fronts did the same thing as yours in the picture are but sprang nicely into place as the axel was raised closer toward ride height. Suspect yours did the same thing?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts