Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
It may have been misleading saying 1/3 jounce travel, If you didn't already know the foam cell pro have a built in bump stop. I would have around 1/3 jounce travel to this bump stop but closer to 3/8 or half of total travel is jounce travel.
Just going back through this thread an just seen this bit a out the foam cell pros having an internal bump stop. Ive just gone through the service manual for the shocks and i can see there is some form of hydraulic extention stop but the only bump stop is a rubber stopper on the shaft above the shock body.
Is that what you were referring to as an internal bump stop or am i missing something?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Have you just kept the original bump stop or used something like this?
httpwww.polyperformance.comimages99208_main-1.jpg

And is there any merit to adding or playing with different bump stops here instead of just setting up the main bumps on the diff properly?

·
Registered
nissan gq
350 Posts
Nah just the original that's on the shock, but they are definitely not meant as a substitute for proper bump stops.
Though mine were doing the job as bumps until mine was set up properly.

jim

·
Registered
819 Posts
Most shock mounts wouldn’t take the abuse of being used as a bump stop as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
705 Posts
Most shock mounts wouldn’t take the abuse of being used as a bump stop as well.

It seems like they are used for a coil over setup. Probably more suited to motorbike suspension.

But since ironman have them on the foam cell pros (probably as a little insurance if things arent quite setup right) i was wondering if there was any merrit to adding a longer and softer bump stop on the shaft to compliment an 80 series bump stop setup?
Im guessing it would be a bit tricky to work out with rubber bump stops as there is no clear compressed length to work off

·
Registered
819 Posts
It seems like they are used for a coil over setup. Probably more suited to motorbike suspension.

But since ironman have them on the foam cell pros (probably as a little insurance if things arent quite setup right) i was wondering if there was any merrit to adding a longer and softer bump stop on the shaft to compliment an 80 series bump stop setup?
Im guessing it would be a bit tricky to work out with rubber bump stops as there is no clear compressed length to work off
KONI shocks have had the little rubber disc for a long time. They probably do protect the shock a little. Preventing the piston from bottoming out.
But it just transfers the load to to the mount brackets. Either mounts on shocks. Or the shock mounts on car.

·
Registered
705 Posts
KONI shocks have had the little rubber disc for a long time. They probably do protect the shock a little. Preventing the piston from bottoming out.
But it just transfers the load to to the mount brackets. Either mounts on shocks. Or the shock mounts on car.

Yeah it would if you had no other bump stop. But lets say an 80 series bump compresses about 80mm. And you had the shock bump starting to compress at 40mm of compression on the 80 series bump you would only be transfering a small amount to the shock mounts.
Just wondering if there is any merit to this as it seems superior engineering dont use 80 series bumps but prefer the standard nissan style. Im pretty sure this is because they are firmer and dont compress as much. (I am referring to the front suspesion here).

Hence why i was contemplating the idea of a longer and softer shock bump to add a little more progression to the 80series bumps

21 - 28 of 28 Posts