Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.. just wondering if anyone has the same issue as us.. We have a 2001 GU Nissan Patrol. When the fan belt is cold or just gone thru water it starts to squeak n squeal. Even our mechanic is scratching his head...

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,711 Posts
Change the fan belt to a new one maybe. See if still doe's it then. And possibly don't use that mechanic if he has no idea. Also what engine do you have. So we know how many belts you have. Could also be a pulley or bearing that is making the noise not a belt.

·
The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty
nissan
6,172 Posts
Thats odd, my MK started doing the same thing after driving through a downpour last week.
Doesn't matter what gear, as soon as I hit 2200 rpm, the squeal starts. Been dry the last few days and still doing it.

Cheers.....Lionel.

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,608 Posts
WD40 works wonders for quieting fan belts! Run the engine before spaying it for even lubrication.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Mine used to be the same. Changed it to a new one and problem gone. The old one had lots of cracks on the ribs..

It's easy to change with a socket ratchet thing.

If you don't know how old the current one is it might be a good idea to change it anyway, it's a pretty important item that does wear out!

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Sorry mate, but that mechanic sounds like he's used to looking at pictures of cars, not fixing them. Kinda on the same level as a woman who's 35 not understanding why she bleeds for a few days once every month.

·
Registered
243 Posts
subject

There is actually a spray can product that you can buy to stop/hide the problem, but the one I find the best and cheapest.....baby powder!!! Also works really well in window tracks if your glass is getting a bit hard to wind up and down...use an air nozzle to get rid of the sand, dried mud etc and then a good dose of the powder and they will glide up and down. Go for a good quick drive afterwards and all the evidence will be gone!

Johnsons baby powder has been my weapon of choice for over 40 years.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
17,680 Posts
It could be the belt tensioner and or pulley if it's a ZD30.
Hi mud,
gee is right,
Get what he has mentioned checked by another Mechanic, make sure he uses a genuine belt if he replaces it.
I had a new tensioner, pulley and belt fitted to mine a few years back, and it made more noise than it did when it was rooted.
Turned out the aftermarket belt was 2mm shorter than the genuine belt.
Mine still squeaks now on cold morning start up's but it dosent when warm.

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
I feel like WD40 and baby powder is just hiding/postponing a problem that won't get better by itself.

If the belt/pulleys are dirty then these might help but if it is worn out or out of alignment then you are just going to create more problems in the future when the belt breaks and you are in the middle of nowhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts