Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've got a squeal from the front right which disappears when I brake but comes back almost straight away. Can this be a sign of worn pads or would it be something else?

·
Registered
2001 TB48 GU Patrol
248 Posts
I would say that it is the "squealers" on the brake pads same thing was happening on my hilux and it turned out to be the brake pads

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
**** loads of brake dust??

have you hosed them out?

·
Registered
nissan
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be truckster, I'll get the hose in there and see how it goes.

·
Registered
nissan gu patrol
292 Posts
Pretty sure it will be the squealers in the pads. This is exactly what they are designed to do....

·
Registered
nissan
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gave em a hose and seem the noise has stoped for now but had a look and the pads are pretty thin so I'll get them changed to be on the safe side. Cheers, Luke.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi there,

Some brake pads are designed to squeal when they get too low, it is a warning that they need to be changed, and that if you dont it will soon be metal on metal.....

Also make sure the anti chatter plates are changed over from the old pads to the new ones, or the new ones will squeal sometimes too.

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42
170 Posts
Had the same thing on the Mrs car, if its the squealers they are copper type prongs that vibrate on the rotor when thepad gets low, I just some long nose pliers and lift/pull away from the rotor providing you have enough brake pad left.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
Should only make noise if under braking and is usually an aweful scrapping sound if the wear indicators. More than likely dust between the shim and backing plate of the pads. Few manufacturers make a bonding agent that can be used that rids the noise. Loctite etc would make it.

·
Registered
nissan
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Should only make noise if under braking and is usually an aweful scrapping sound if the wear indicators. QUOTE]

That's what I thought with the indicators and mine is doing the opposite. Anyway droped the wife into the city and the noise is back. Wasnt really that much brake dust in there when I washed it but it did stop while it was wet. I've got some new mag's and tyre's on order so I'll get em' to look it over while they're at it.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Also they could be missing the metal thing that you stick on the pad that goes between pad and piston.

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,282 Posts
I think you will find that your brake pads are getting low.

My GQ was doing the same thing, squealing until brakes were applied then noise would stop.

I could see the wear indicator was just in line with the end of the brake pad, (thin metal strip).

There was still plenty of pad left so I just bent the metal strip back a little bit.

I later replaced the pads.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had a similar problem a few times - goes away when the brake is on, comes back when it's not - sometimes goes away in reverse. On each occasion it has been a stone caught between the calipers and the disc, wedged in very tightly and often flattened on the side facing the disc. Removing the stone removes the squeal. Might be worth a look.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Those saying to bend the squealing indicator thing back are silly. There is a reason that they are set at that thickness... Heat dissipation etc. Have you ever had a brake pad crumble? No? Scary stuff!

Don't bend the pin noise thing back... get a new set of pads for god's sake. They aren't that expensive! Or that hard to change!

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,282 Posts
Those saying to bend the squealing indicator thing back are silly. There is a reason that they are set at that thickness... Heat dissipation etc. Have you ever had a brake pad crumble? No? Scary stuff!

Don't bend the pin noise thing back... get a new set of pads for god's sake. They aren't that expensive! Or that hard to change!
LOL

You do realise that you have just told a possibly, inexperienced and untrained person to perform major brake repairs to their vehicle.

Now thats silly.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU
1,210 Posts
Having similar problem, it squeals soo loud when im braking it gets louder when slowing down, I replaced the pads with pink stop squeal thing, nothing its still there.
Would it be rotors needs machining? Rotors looks fine to me.
Cheers

·
Registered
Nissan
373 Posts
^^ it could be the anti rattle shims on the calipers hitting the disc, take the wheel off and have a look, if it's close bend it back a bit with a screw driver. As for bending the squealer on the pads back, yes they are there for a reason, the pad can't dissipate the heat properly which causes the docs to wrap causing brake shudder and a costly machine.

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42ti
4,665 Posts
Check the engine bay for squeel. You might have run over a pig & it's still alive & is still stuck. LMAO.

Sorry had to do that. Just to break (brake the tension :)

·
Registered
nissan
46 Posts
Wear indicator will make the noise under braking, check for stones between disc rotor and stone guard, possible stone guard is rubbing on the disc rotor, or might be the pad shim/spacer is missing vibration under braking will cause squealing.... If you are not sure about checking any of these just drop into your mechanic and ask them to have a quick look/listen

·
Registered
nissan
323 Posts
vote two for not bending wear indicator tabs back. as for telling someone who knows nothing about brakes to getin there and change them being silly, well why if they have no idea do they decide to get in there and bend the tabs back. either way as said before pads need certain thickness to work properly and desipate heat or they cud simply break down.

As for sqeual, mine is doing the same thing now. get someone to walk along beside ur car and pin point which tyre it is coming from then remove the wheel and have a look for yourself. my problem turned out to be anti-squeal shims had brocken its retainers and slid down and was rubbing on the rotor.

problem can be so many things with out pin pointing which tyres it is coming from you have no idea where to look, but if you hosed it and it went away then i wud be looking at your anti squeal shims and if replacing pads have a look at your local auto shop and anti squeak spray, its almost like a mild sticky gooy glue that helps stops and shims rattle and squeal...

Cheerz Flex

1 - 20 of 20 Posts