Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about 18 months and 35000km ago I followed all the top reports on here and stuck a set of 3" flexy coils and amada remote res shocks under my gu ute.
all was good when first put in single bumps were a bit harsh but loved the real rough and corregations now its sagged about an inch and its rough as hell everywhere! the shocks don't appear to be leaking is there anyway to check the pressures in them? although I would imagine less pressure would make them softer not harder.
how long has this coil/shock combo lasted for everyone else?

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
The best thing about my SS coils was when they were removed, regret not doing it sooner.
Try OME or superior springs if you want nice ride again.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
My Flexy coils sagged considerably quickly. I think the harshness comes from less of the softer rate progressive coil being used to spring the small bumps. Essentially the coil sags so it's sitting on a heavier rate of coil.

As Sim said, getting rid of them was the best option. I know have Superior coils and they're way better.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
The Superior are a linear rate, but I think it's more to do with material and sizing choices that work out favorably.

Going from 3" flexy to 3" superior and retaining 6" shocks, the superior coils just start to unseat, but I've still retained full flex allowed by the shocks.

Reactions: Sydo

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Matching the shock length to the flex is the best method unless you have dropout cones. If the shock is too long you risk the spring falling out, if it is too short you limit flex.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Well my 4inch flexi coils don't even come close to un seating with 6 inch shocks. Apparently 3 inch dobinsons are ok as well with 6 inch coils. I reckon thats a good setup.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I was actually talking about measured lengths.eg flexing the vehicle up till the coil starts to unseat rather than a 2 " shock to a 2" spring. Sorry should have explained it better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts