Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is running DVD headrests and what type eg quality as we are looking at installing 5 in our ti next week also pics if you have them
Thanks bones

·
Registered
757 Posts
just thought i would bump this thread to the top again.

We have finally ordered our 2016 Y62 Ti which is due to be delivered in March 16. We really wanted the Ti-L but at the end of the day we worked out the only features we really needed from the top spec model were the rear dvd players.
This brings me to my question has anyone fitted any aftermarket units to their vehicles and if so whats your view.

No just for the long 5 month wait until our new baby arrives

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm running aftermarket DVD players in the headrests for the kids. With the backs of the chairs and the back of the centre console easily removed it was easy to fit the DVD headrests and have all the wiring hidden. We went with a cheaper pair for $300. These do the job well but tend to rattle a little when fitted. I was able to cut some high density inserts to insert inside the headrest to remove this rattle. I would probably go a better quality set if I was to fit them again.

·
Registered
757 Posts
cool thanks for your feedback. were they jus some from eBay

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just a question in relations to the install, I have installed 2 of these aftermarket units in the wife's bmw and the install only required sticking a metal coat hanger down the head rest holes in the seat and with abit of jiggling the other end just popped out the bottom of the seats and it was easy enough to install.

Now with the seats in the ST-L am I right to assume that the 2 screws at the bottom seats can be removed and it should just peel back to gain access? to hide the cable run I mean?

I tried to stick the coat hanger down the hole but it got stuck in the middle of the seat backing, no way it will go all the way down.

I would love to know how to gain access to the internals of the seats.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The head rest tube is in the shape of a U, I had to drill a hole in one side to allow the wiring through. The insert in the back of the sit just clicks out from the top and can be swung down to allow access, the wires in in flexible conjute were then fed through a gap in the fabric in the lower inboard corner of the seat near the rear of the console. I fed enough wire through to allow full movement of the seat in either direction. The wire was then fed up under the lower edge of the centre console and all wiring connected inside the centre console. The rear of the centre console can be clicked out, no screws to allow access to a power source and has plenty of room to connect and tidy up the wiring. All you can see externally from the fitment of my DVD players is the conjute from the corner of the seat to the console, when the seat is fully forward. I hope this helps

·
Registered
757 Posts
All sounds good. Do they look factory fitted once completed. I am assuming the aftermarket units come with head rest do they match the original ones

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just figured out how to add pics to garage. I have a pic of the open seat back so you can see inside as well, when opening push your hands in from either side roughly in the middle, push the two clips inwards and pull back on the insert, it should bend in the middle slightly and the top of the insert will slide away from the seat, lay insert backwards for access. The headrests I have I do not think look out of place and seem to do the job. They appear to be factory when you look apart from the fabric, the covers I have are vinyl not velvet. As I said earlier though, if I had to do it again I would probably buy a better quality set to avoid the rattling issue.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The insert in the back of the sit just clicks out from the top and can be swung down to allow access,
Just to confirm, I just pull the map pocket back and grab the rear of the seat and pull straight out? not in a up or down direction?

What about the 2 screws at the bottom of the seat? do I need to touch theses?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stick your fingers in either side and you will feel the two plastic clips, push them inwards slightly and pull back, the map pocket insert should unclip and bend in the middle. You will then see at the top of th insert you need to just bend it a little more to pull the clips at the top down to disengage them. I didn't undo any screws at all, just lay the map pocket insert back as you can see in the picture in my garage. Good luck

·
Registered
757 Posts
cool thanks heaps for the info guys

1 - 12 of 12 Posts