- Exhaust flange has been machined
- Gasket included
- Solid thick bars to reinforce manifold

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
777 Posts
I could have that displayed on the dining table! Nice work!
Any idea how much postage to Australia will be?

·
Registered
1995 gq patrol nissan
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could have that displayed on the dining table! Nice work!
Any idea how much postage to Australia will be?
Shipping to AUS is around £75, it weighs 13kg. Can find out about air cargo but probably work out more expensive at collection end with charges to clear customs etc

·
Registered
1995 gq patrol nissan
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a warranty? As stainless exhaust manifolds are prone to crack
I will give a year, however i have made sure that seamless pipe has been used and the thickness of 3mm to avoid this. The company i deal with make supra manifolds for the 2JZ with less spec that I have gone with!

·
Registered
nissan
148 Posts
i would be nervous still, ive been through 2 steam pipe manifolds and im now on to a cast high mount.. no looking back for me.. theres no way you'll crack a cast one.. but hey, this stainless one might be fine.. at the end of the day the power increse from using this kind of manifold is going to be very minimal

·
Registered
1995 gq patrol nissan
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The heat is pushed away with stainless, Back box temperatures are always higher, cast iron is solid yes but even they crack at times and give a nice "ticking" sound through the hairline crack when it happens.

The cylinder head is heated by a cast iron manifold whereas the stainless does a much better job of taking the heat away and is noticeable. If you were to wrap the manifold it would be even better.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Wouldnt EGT's be way higher on a diesel with this manifold?

I know swapping from a stainless dump pump to a mild steel regular dump pipe made a 150 deg difference.

·
Registered
1995 gq patrol nissan
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wouldnt EGT's be way higher on a diesel with this manifold?

I know swapping from a stainless dump pump to a mild steel regular dump pipe made a 150 deg difference.
that will be the heat kept in the pipe which is what you want, otherwise it is being absorbed by the cylinder head/engine which is what you don't want!

·
Registered
nissan
711 Posts
Well done icedillon!

As there's probably a limited number available I'll say YES it will crack, increase EGT and do all kind of very bad things to your engine!

Now that you are all scared away I should have better chances to secure one for myself!!!

I'm sending you my payment icedillon but will check Canadian interest to ship more than one and save on shipping costs.

Thanks again, took a long time but it was worth it!

Cheers,
Mr. D

·
Registered
288 Posts
There seems to be a lot of confusion from the comments. A good, efficient exhaust manifold should not dissipate heat through it's material, but transmit as much of that heat energy as possible through the ducting to the turbo. If the post turbo EGT readings are excessive, the answer is not to get a less efficient manifold that dissipates heat to reduce the post turbo EGT readings. All this does is give the false impression that the engine is producing safe EGTs. The more efffectively that the manifold can keep the heat inside the ducting, the more energy reaches the turbo, and the more efficient the system is. If the manifold material can minimize heat dissipaton, it will give post turbo EGT readings that better reflect what is actually happening within the engine. If the engine is producing excessive EGT, then it needs to be tuned properly.

The manifold merely transfers heat energy that is already produced at the engine via the ducting and via dissipation of heat through the material. The latter method of heat transfer is undesirable and inefficient for 3 reasons. First, is that disspiated heat energy does not go to the turbo (and on throught the exhaust pipes), secondly is that it increases the temperature the under hood/bonnet (it has to go somewhere), and thirdly, it gives the impression that the EGT produced by the engine is lower than it really is.

·
Doing it twice
nissan patrol
206 Posts
Personally, i wouldn't use a stainless steel highmount manifold. 80% of them i've seen have cracked. ( This isen't on a TB42). BUT! yours has added tabs to help with the weight of the turbo, nice work.

What sort of work goes into cleaning to welds around your merge collector?

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Interested, but would like to see one what has had long term testing, at least for the 6 months since you started this thread. Along with some details of how it was used - boost setting, max egt reached, comp / street / towing / highway use etc.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts