Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy, whats a good price for a second hand TD42 genuine turbo setup. got about 300 thousand on it . Cheers.:):)

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,576 Posts
Just the turbo or everything that comes with it to make it work?

Reactions: jeffs5

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just the turbo or everything that comes with it to make it work?
yep dump pipe oil lines etc come with it, exhaust manifold aswell, it has HT18 on it, i take it thats the genuine setup????? no airbox etc. :)

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The owners upgrading .

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
at a guess, depending on the co dition of the turbo between $800 and $1200.

do you know the guy or is this the one listed on gumtree?

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
at a guess, depending on the co dition of the turbo between $800 and $1200.

do you know the guy or is this the one listed on gumtree?
a mate emailed me a pic /screenshot of it from a FB page, wants 600 for it. but if its just the standard one off the blacktop i dunno... wasn't that impressed with my old mans TD42t, for the extra money i may need , Head recon. etc. to do it properly My NA is nearly at 400 thousand.:confused:

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
adding a turbo will fastly imprive it.

mines a black top. had the turbo on for almost 40 thousand kms, havent touched the engine. loves 15psi.

yours is a silvertop jeffs, so youll have no issue.

for $600, that includes the manifold, turbo, dump and oil lines.. id grab it. better if you can even knock him down to $500.

all you need on top of that will be exhaust gasket, and exhaust and to weld a return into the sump.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers, will my IP be OK..

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,576 Posts
Yes your IP should be fine! You could always do a reco on it later on in life!

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
Jeff, might pay to have a yarn with Bill from Adelaide Turbo Services just on the corner of Marion and Sturt Road. I yacked his ear off a few times before biting the bullet and turboing mine - he's very patient lol. He will likely also be able to tell you if the ol girl is up for it. I did mine at 300K no probs.
Originally I was going to get a second hand one and go down the route you are thinking. In the end it just wasn't worth it. I ponied up some extra $$ and went new. Happy to show you my set up if needed.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jeff, might pay to have a yarn with Bill from Adelaide Turbo Services just on the corner of Marion and Sturt Road. I yacked his ear off a few times before biting the bullet and turboing mine - he's very patient lol. He will likely also be able to tell you if the ol girl is up for it. I did mine at 300K no probs.
Originally I was going to get a second hand one and go down the route you are thinking. In the end it just wasn't worth it. I ponied up some extra $$ and went new. Happy to show you my set up if needed.
I'm up the road from him, and yeh dont want to jump the gun, need to do a bit of homework first. Had my IP rebuilt including injectors 80 thousand ago. Would love to have a look some time at yours. As said I wasn't impressed with the TD42t my dad had, was minimal more power IMO at around 1800 revs. well I thought it would pull more. Cheers all. Time to do some reading :):):)

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
I'm up the road from him, and yeh dont want to jump the gun, need to do a bit of homework first. Had my IP rebuilt including injectors 80 thousand ago. Would love to have a look some time at yours. As said I wasn't impressed with the TD42t my dad had, was minimal more power IMO at around 1800 revs. well I thought it would pull more. Cheers all. Time to do some reading :):):)
Might be able to tee up something this Sat. I have to admit I was a little underwhelmed with the turbo driving it around town, but once I hit the freeway and didn't have to change out of 5th gear at any hint of a slope I was in love! I bet you row the feck out the gearbox driving between Adel and Murray Bridge (well I used too). Now imagine doing that in 5th all the way :D

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I put secondhand turbos on both my GQs and it made a gear and a half difference on the hill going into my place. Used to be top of third or bottom of 4th, went up easy in 5th. Huge difference.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
I sold my ht18 on fleabay for about $100 with about 180k on it. They aren't worth jack as they are a such a shyt turbo. The manifold would be worth a couple of hundred though.

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,576 Posts
There are a couple of td42t stock setups for sale in the classified section for a comparo if need be too!

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are a couple of td42t stock setups for sale in the classified section for a comparo if need be too!
cheers will have a look, the other one went :)

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the reply's after doing a read on here and other sites it looks like i am going to have to save some penny's. Thanks for the test drive the other day GQ Mad, and great to meet you. Awesome setup.

·
Elmo
Nissan
4,899 Posts
I was going to go the same setup as you on my silvertop when doing a TD conversion.

I went with a kinugawa 16g billet highmounted on a radius exhaust manifold.

My little 10mm IP leaks a bit and can't keep up without the lift pump. I've also got a 4.2 GU NA with a factory turbo setup on it and it sucks compared to this chinese turbo I've got...

Both 3" exhausts as well.

But for $500 you can't complain, hopefully it comes with cross over pipe for the intake and all the other little turbo connecting hoses.

Than just get a custom silicone bend for the airbox - turbo.

But for $500-$600 you'll be happy with the results. Possibly buy an aftermarket 3" dump pipe as that makes a hell of a difference. The factory dump sucks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts