Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wondering have any of you had any dramas with starter motors on a td42 or any of the Gq motors for that matter I got the original starter motor rebuilt in my Gq about 4 months ago because it was knackerd filled with mud n water n all sorts of crap from over the years of 4wding .... 1 week after getting it all redone the one way slipper clutch in the starter **** itself ( apparently not part of a rebuild) so anyways after discussions with the auto elec I got refunded some of my money and decided not to take any chances just went and brought a brand new one.... Worked perfect..... up until lately !!! I noticed my car turning over a lil slower than usual when starting instinctively I thought the battery is probably old by now and I have no idea when it was put in I may aswell replace it for peice of mind, but when I put a brand new deep cycle battery in with 760cca it made no real difference and then tonight it has died all together I have full power to everything but the ***** won't crank over ( stuffed another starter???) that's the only thing that would make sence so I'm Pulling it out right now !!! Has anyone else had any dramas ? What did u do to fix it ? Am I ment to pull my starter apart every time I go out bush to see if it's dirty inside? I'm so friggen over it ATM!!!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,099 Posts
You are'nt using a Deep Cycle as your main cranking battery????????? If so. not a good idea!! Have you load tested the new battery? What sort of noises does the starter make now?

You bought a brand new starter motor?? Factory?, Fleabay?? Lot of variables with starters.

·
Registered
nissan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And the battery was recomended for it ! Its a all rounder ...Makes no noise just the relay clicks that's it even if I bump start it and while the car is running I turn the key (which should make the starter at least engage and grind) but nothing just a clicking relay, the starter I brought from Autobarn I can't remember the brand tho

·
Registered
nissan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it out it's a hitachi starter .... Then tried to test it with a battery but nothing no throw out no spinning nothing

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
well up until the bench test I had my money on a dodgy cable.
You should replace the cable anyway. It's pretty old.

Check the solenoid doesnt have two "crank" terminals. they might have put an end cap for a petrol coil-with-a-resistor type ignition on it..

·
Registered
nissan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i took it back to where i brought it from and no questions asked got a replacement getting sent down now should be here in 2 hours they said .... apparently its a dickie solenoid not giving power through ..... only been on the car since december .... so im pretty happy about that at least just a pain in the ass if it had happened while i was out in the bush somewhere ..... does anyone have any ideas or setups they have had in the past to make sure no mud or water gets into their starters?????

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,052 Posts
My original starter shat itself just like yours and I ended up putting in an aftermarket unit. After about six months it started playing up again so i pulled it out and stripped it to find the brushes seized and the housing rusty. So I cleaned it all up and away it went.

Now, every time I drop the oil and filters, I remove the starter and give it a good out clean as well. It makes it easy when changing the filters, less mess and it only takes about 1/2 hour to do. Its just like every other moving part on the vehicle that needs servicing and maintaining etc.

Especially when we go playing in the mud, that sheit gets every where.:rolleyes:

I do have an air line plumbed into the bell housing to add air pressure when going through water or mud holes, that may help keep stuff out of the starter to, just need to finish it off through a switch at the compressor end.

cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts