Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I'm now on to my 3rd starter motor in the last 6 months. I had each one fitted by different mechanics and no one seems to be able to diagnose the cause. When the second one was fitted by some guys in Newcastle they thought it was a loose connection in the ignition that was causing it to in gage whilst driving however they were able to get this fault to reoccur.
Does any one have and ideas I really need this car to be reliable as we do bit of touring and transport for the mrs during the week

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Welcome to the forum. OK for our electrical guru's to answer we may need a bit more info, exactly what in the starter fails?

Exactly what do you drive? and is it Auto or Manual?

When you say they thought it was engaging while driving that makes it sound like it's ripping the starter gear up, is that the case? but that would also eventually damage the ring gear. A warped plate on an auto can do some strange things, but one would think you would be hearing the odd strange sounds as well.

Or is it the solenoid that's failing?

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
About 30 yrs back myself and a couple of mates hired a troopy HJ47 for a pig hunt in the channel country, on the first day the starter was not releasing when the engine started so after some investigation we found the return spring in the ignition lock had broken so the key had to be turned back to the run position to disengage the starter. Although the starter was turning, the drive gear was disengaged from the flywheel so fortunately the starter was not being driven by the engine. After this and other annoying failures, mainly door latches/locks the tojo experience was not positive to say the least!

·
Registered
nissan
16 Posts
My guess is your ignition switch is worn and sometimes move to the starting position causing the starter to engage. Suggest moving this function to a separate button, unless you want to replace the ignition switch

1 - 4 of 4 Posts