Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
loaded up the truck in driveway for day at the beach - zzzzzzt zzzzt click - 12.5v on multimeter direct to batt posts but 9.5v showing on auto computer - wasn't going to start no matter how I cussed

Anyways after using the bosses Huundai i30 after a two and a half hour journey that usually takes one ( commodore caught fire on highway after rear ending some poor b) I thought I'd use up some data from my phone on the beach and post to see what I can check - or at worst what types of batts are being used to crank over big mother motors these days - Optima Yellows ?

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Obviously the first thing that comes to mind is check you have a good connection on your battery terminals and also earth lead from the battery to the body of the vehicle. It sounds like you have voltage at the battery but it's not getting much further.

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,270 Posts
and yes.. The Optima Yellow does the job nicely...
Give "EveryBattery Kensington" a call.. Good price and close..

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
I would buy a cat battery, will be half the price of a yellowtop. If its in a gu you will fit the 1000cca 90amphr, but each to there own

·
Registered
nissan
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tx for the replies - left in a hurry this morning - will check all connections tomorrow - battery is only 3 years old but I'm sure I was cash strapped when I bought it and I think it's a cheapie. Original Nissan batt lasted 8 years :)

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Wow. 8 YEARS out of the original. That's amazing. Or could it just be it only had to crank a 3Ltr for 8 years before it grenaded. Could it be 3 years ago you then dropped the 6.5Ltr in and the battery we are referring to at the same time? I too would be cash strapped after that conversion. LOL

Anyway I can only seem to get 2-3 years out of mine cranking the 4.2Ltr, so 8 years is awesome. I don't think you will ever get that life out of a battery cranking a 6.5Ltr.

But what do I know. There are probably people who have.

Hope it's an easy fix mate. Keep us informed how you go.

·
Registered
nissan
472 Posts
Previous owner had managed to stuff a CAT 1000cca battery into my GQ, it already looked old when i got it but it lasted a couple more years before an alternator fault killed it.
I thought they were pricey so i bought something else. but know i know there not and i wished i had bought one

PART NUMBER:175-4390
CCA: 1000
Volts: 12
AMP Hr Cap @ 20 Hrs: 90
Grid Type: Calcium Lead Alloy Grid Design
Application: Starting
RC Mins: 80
Price $177.43

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
Previous owner had managed to stuff a CAT 1000cca battery into my GQ, it already looked old when i got it but it lasted a couple more years before an alternator fault killed it.
I thought they were pricey so i bought something else. but know i know there not and i wished i had bought one

PART NUMBER:175-4390
CCA: 1000
Volts: 12
AMP Hr Cap @ 20 Hrs: 90
Grid Type: Calcium Lead Alloy Grid Design
Application: Starting
RC Mins: 80
Price $177.43
And..... I wasnt lieing

·
Registered
nissan
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RACV confirmed battery was knackered as I thought - not holding a charge.

Found an Optima Yellow Top D27F at $349 at EveryBattery Kensington (tx Metric)

Lots of places closed - some till 12 Jan. including CAT supplier.

The original batt was in a 4.8 auto that lasted 8 years :)

Back on the road again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts