Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan patrol Gu Dx ute
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well its not making any noise, if i give the solinod a tap i get the click from it for a few times then nothing. Back to no noise, im just wondering weather its the solinoid or the starter motor. IM lead to belive the solinoid is gone. seggestions?

regards jesse

·
Registered
nissan
107 Posts
get a jumper lead and feed power up the brush plate lead (terminal next to main battery connection on solinoid) if starter spins it will be either the solinoid or voltage drop on the pull in winding

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,287 Posts
Going by this post and your other post regarding hard starting, I would say you have a bad connection at one of your battery terminals.

Get yourself a volt meter and measure the voltage across the battery post and then across the battery terminals while cranking .

Is there a big difference in the 2 results?

·
Registered
nissan
863 Posts
If it's the starter motor or solenoid you will usually hear a clicking sound when you turn the key. As suggested see if it's getting power from the battery at all.

Chris

Black & Grey '88 GQ TB42

·
Registered
Nissan patrol Gu Dx ute
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i have tryed undoing and cleaning all the terminals. and still all i get is a clicking sound from the solinoid. Though even the clicking sound doesnt always happen, when it doesnt click if i give it a lil tap with a peice of timber it will start clicking again. I am also getting power to the solinoid. I measured the power at the battery, and while cranking. it was at about 12. somthing volts which is a bit down i think. :S so i tryed hooking some jumper leads up to it adn tryed turning over and still no difference. just that click on occasions. so thats where im at right now. i have also cheaked all fuses under the dash and the bonnet. they are all good. ( the fuses arent labled to well as per what they are for). QUite painful so i just looked at the ones i though would be relivent and they were all fine. so still unsure which one it is. I would have thought that if there is clicking from the solinoid that would mean its doing its job? :S but it is only clicking sometimes, which makes me think that it is the solinoid. but thats where i stand at the moment. :S

·
Registered
nissan patrol
405 Posts
plate behind cog came lose on mine and locked everything up, 3 screws fell out holding into place, new screws and good as new again

may need to pull it out and test it on ground and see whats happening, they do like to fill up with mud and stop

·
Registered
NISSAN GU PATROL
694 Posts
Whatever is wrong with it, sounds like it will have to come out.
Bench test and pull it apart for inspection.

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,287 Posts
Check the earth to the block.

If that is clean and tight I would say your problem is with the starter motor, possible worn out brushes or is full of mud.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts