Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1990 GQ shorty TB42

vehicle not started for a month
started up ok then drove about 15k's
stopped at a servo to fill up and couldn't restart
tried jump starting and no luck, ended up smoking an earth strap to the block
rang the NRMA and had the same problem so clutch started
the NRMA advised that the starter was knackered and needed replacing
problem is that when he tried to identify the starter he couldn't because he said that they only had exchange starters from 1992 on and because the shorty was a 90 plate he couldn't help. (he did show me the exchange guide that he carried and it only started from 1992)

afaik all TB42 starter motors on the GQ are the same???

am I right and he's wrong?

more to the point, how difficult is it to change the starters on TB42's.

am brand new to patrols and am more familiar with clevelands and crossflows.... so this is a newbie q of the first order...

also, whats the money damage on an exchange TB42 starter motor?

·
Registered
nissan
298 Posts
Check eBay for a starter motor. I got quoted from burson around the $600 and that was trade price as well. Must of been made of gold. My starter motor shat itself as well and they are pretty easy to remove apart from exactly Removing it from the plate which a soft hammer makes light work of. I pulled my apart and found the bushes had come off so I resoldier them and all is good now.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am getting the starter motor to turn, but it runs out of puff and stops turning pretty quickly - if the brushes were knackered would I even be getting it to turn?

(although the fact that I could clutch start seems to show that its either starter or electrical to the starter...???)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
11 Posts
If you shop around you should be able to find a new starter for 3-4 hundred. The best thing to do is have your starter overhauled by your local auto electrician. Most time the started is still serviceable and a good auto electrician will seal the casing to prevent water getting in. The key to long started life is a good battery and leads.

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
if your cluey at pulling things apart and knowing how to put them back together keeping in mind the bearings aint stuffed it will cost you $12-15. pull the S motor down the back casing should pop off and replace the brushes all you need is a soldering iron and a file
just incase you have to get a bigger size brush. the patrol starters are near unbreakable the only thing that goes are the brushes. i re-brushed mine nearly 12 months ago took me half hour to change them out and havnt had a prob since

·
Registered
nissan
241 Posts
I did a write up when I pulled my starter apart http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/diy-...es-40/gq-tb42-start-motor-clean-up-12v-44616/

Removing it is easy and cleaning it isn't hard either, if you're not confident at repairing it yourself take into an auto elec and get them to pull it down and quote you on fixing it, provided yours isn't completely stuffed it should be significantly cheaper then a reco.

Should be looking at around $350 from a store $250 from ebay (with no warranty) second hand around $50-120

something to note if you try it yourself is my brushes were stuffed, I didn't know enough about them at the time but they should stick out alot further then they do in my pics. That starter only lasted another month before it destroyed itself when one of the brushes wore off completely and the contact behind it ripped the commutator to pieces.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all,

a recon can be had for 250 incl freight with 12 months warranty...

is it worth doing this instead?

BTW, one of the wreckers in Queanbeyan tried to flog me a second hand with no warranty for $275!!!

when I pointed out how much they were rec with a 12 month warranty he didn't even bother to change the price.... no sale!

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I suspect that I've got dodgey connections and a dud battery. Started up tonight and it purred like a kitten. shut it off after 10 mins, went to restart it and I had the same DNS problem as yesterday...

·
Registered
nissan
203 Posts
Way back in the 70s when I was a student and couldn't afford to fix my dodgy starter motor I went for months with it like that. Every other time it wouldn't start so I'd jump out lift the bonnet and give the starter motor a few taps with a spanner, jump back in and off she'd go. Eventually it got so bad it was happening every time and I had to bash the cr#p out of it so I had to do something about it. It was a pain in butt though, particularly in the rain.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the same exp with an old morris oxford with a 302 in it, it was a bugger of a car to start in winter and needed a bit of 4x2 poked into the starter to encourage it - or I had to stand on the side of it and rock it sideways....

I've got a new starter coming end of next week, so I'll just swap it out. I'll keep the old one and get it rebuilt as a spare. (with my current luck I'm bound to need it for the other troll sooner rather than later)

its off to the sparkies mid next week, so the current battery leads and earths are all up for renewed soldering....

one or the other should see me back to normal once done....

·
Banned
2,050 Posts
Hi,

Forget the starter and rebuild the dizzy. The advance may be sticky, and the starter is fighting advanced timing. Another thing, check connections. Crank it and touch the battery connections, starter and dont forget the earth. When you burn your hand you have found it. If you had an earth wire fry it is a sign of another earth fault. Run a good earth from the battery to the starter. All this is general from stuff I have worked on, so may not be applicable to you. Dizzy issue, my MA2000 Earth cable, mates Luxy.

Hope this helps BM

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi,

Forget the starter and rebuild the dizzy. The advance may be sticky, and the starter is fighting advanced timing. Another thing, check connections. Crank it and touch the battery connections, starter and dont forget the earth. When you burn your hand you have found it. If you had an earth wire fry it is a sign of another earth fault. Run a good earth from the battery to the starter. All this is general from stuff I have worked on, so may not be applicable to you. Dizzy issue, my MA2000 Earth cable, mates Luxy.

Hope this helps BM
I've got a pertronix going in the next week or so... so rebuilding the dizzy might not be necessary ?? (questionable??)

·
Banned
2,050 Posts
Hi,

Take the dizzy cap off and twist the rotor. One way wont move, the other it will turn and spring back. If it doesnt spring back or is hard to turn that will be your problem. Electronic ignition has nothing to do with this, only removes the points and keeps timing the same. I am thinking as it started fine after resting a while, it has advanced and not returned. Quick and easy to check, and you wont spend money on a starter you dont need.

Regards B M

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.