Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some searching but haven't yet found anything that relates to my problem.

Nissan Safari 24v, Alternator light comes on at ignition and goes off after starting.
Gauge indicates 27-28 volts under revs.
Batteries with eng not running are (Passenger side 12v) = 12.95
(Drivers side) 24v = 10.88

I replaced the drivers side battery last week so it was at 12.7v then and has obviously lost charge OR is not being charged properly despite the gauge reading normal etc.

I had starting probs prior to that hence putting the new battery in. The engine is now only just turning over again. I'm about to go out and check all earth and alternator connections, I know that the battery terminal connections are good. I 've got 24/12 volt reducers running off the 24v side battery...all done by an auto sparky and they've been that way for 3yrs now with no problems.

How do I check my alternator output voltage?

Any other ideas welcomed.

Cheers

Jamie

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
so there is only 1 wire connected to the earth of one battery and 1 wire on the positive of the other battery, the other positive and negative it doesnt matter how many wires are connected but the wire joining the batteries together shouldnt have any other wires tapping into it or on the terminals of the batteries

if there is another wire then that is where the power is going, if not then IHNFI

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,244 Posts
WIth 24 volt systems you should always replace both batteries at the same time.

This could be a starter motor problem or a bad earth to the block.

Check an clean connections at starter motor and block.

From what you have said in your first post, I would say your alternator is charging fine.

Unless the alternator warning light in the dash is glowing faintly when loaded up eg when headlights and interior fan are turned on.

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, i'll try the starter motor first. I'll dig my spare out and replace the whole thing.
Watch this space.

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why would the starter motor cause one battery to be low?
IHNFI...but it's worth a try. At least it will either eliminate the problem or it won't.
Unfortunately I can't get it checked by a good auto sparky until i'm in Christchurch at the end of the week so i'll try anything until then.

Tonight passenger battery sitting on 12.87v, drivers side 12.67v.

I'll try and finish work earlier tomorrow and will check starter motor cables...maybe it's the solenoid failing?

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He didn't state that one battery was low now, after he had replaced one.

I suspect the starter motor is drawing excessive current (possible full of mud or just worn out)
Maybe not directly but thats what is happening and only to 24v side battery.
Battery was good about 3 weeks ago but started having starting probs....checked both batteries and 24v side was down to under 12v

Replaced it and after a week that replacement battery lost voltage and I had cranking probs once again. Have fitted ANOTHER battery yesterday and it's starting ok and voltage holding at high 12's.

Will still switch starter motors asap and see what happens.

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok...update time.

Did I swap starter motors...NO :rolleyes:...ended up working late nights and have been busy delivering water today.

Just gets weirder and weirder, the battery is holding voltage and it's starting fine - but wait...there's more!

Sometimes the ignition lights don't light up when i turn the key on, so i flick it off and turn it back on and presto...ignition lights - but wait...there's more!

Over the last 2 days I can be driving along and the alternator gauge needle drops to nil, the battery light lights up and the indicators won't work. Usually they will power back up again after a minute or few seconds..

MY FRIGGIN GOD....just got hit by a BIG aftershock!!

Anyhow...looks like it's a small intermittent problem, will check fuses and stuff.
Will be an auto sparky job if I don't find anything simple thats causing it.

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,244 Posts
Have you checked your main power connections, especially the main earths to the body and engine.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you all over there.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
24 V rigs are an absolute pain in the arrrrrrsssss
You have to replace both batteries at once
I learned the hard way after pulling my hair out for days
Ol codger told me that
2 new batteries no more troubles

With intermittan issues,dont bugger around straight to an auto lecy

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you checked your main power connections, especially the main earths to the body and engine.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you all over there.
Thanks....was a 4.8 at 11km deep.

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update on this...problem seems to have sorted itself, I think it was the battery I put in first. Both batteries are now equally charged and holding around 12.75ish.

So didn't pinpoint what it was...maybe just an electrical gremlin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts