Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 494 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,thought id tell you guys i have just started ripping the shortie apart ready for me to smooth out the body and paint. im starting on the rear doors first,as i havent panel beated for a little while so they will be good to re hone my skills, the small rear door is off the car and completely stripped,i have started sanding it back,already found some bog up in the top right of the window frame area where it looks like someone must of opened the door into something and bent it,ill sand the bog out and make some adjustments of my own there.

the window rubber is all ****ed up but im going to be getting new rubbers for the windscreen and the 2 back door glass so thats no worries. the rubber door seal came off easily and is in good condition so thats good,didnt break any of the little plastic clips so thats a bonus too :) no rust anywhere and no dents so ill sand it all back,primer/filler then a bit of wet and dry and she will be ready for paint.

ill put some progress pics up tomorrow, i should have both rear doors ready for paint by then

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
ok,didnt get much done today,still need to go out and buy a air comp, pulled some more bits off her

heres the inside of the door all sanded up

and one of the rear door where it must of got smashed up on the to wall or something, have to wait to fix that when i get some more tools

the front guard is also ready for paint but no pics yet

·
Registered
277 Posts
I needed new window rubbers for my Gq after calling Nissan I fell over at the cost of OEM units . The factory seals x 5 were over $1580.00 !

I looked on the web and found a company in the east call OZ Auto moulds & rubbers Car Windscreens, Windscreen Repair, Wholesale Windscreens, Windscreen Rubbers- OzAutoMoulds.com.au 0397031522 . They showed the front seal only , so I droped them a email . Got a reply to say the rears had only just come into stock .

I would like to say that I am super happy with the products & saved $ buying from them . If you need new window rubbers / seals check them out.

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Seagull,thanks for that mate. i will check it out now.

and sutto, i seen those a few days ago, im going to see what i can do with mine first, my small door is mint and already prepped for paint. if i find it to much stuffing around straightening the big one i think ill get the ones of gumtree and have the small one as a spare in the garage

im still trying to find those plastic trim pieces that go where your arms rest on the door and go all around the back under the windows to cover the steel

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
So is this the shorty you're going to do up and then sell to me for a carton of beer & a pat on the back?

;P

Bloody jealous anyway, I'd love to have a project wagon to work on, been making too much use of my old girl to justify taking her apart for a few weeks.

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
im still trying to find those plastic trim pieces that go where your arms rest on the door and go all around the back under the windows to cover the steel

scotch 3M spray adhesive and some nice soft vinyl. hahaha

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hahahaah yeah lord, im hoping to get her pretty straight. i just knocked some dents out of the front guard.. i wash i had all my old panel beating files and dollies so i could metal finish it properly,oh well,probably going to get banged up anyhow :)

i also took all the air intake pieces,tow hooks and wheel carrier to my powdercoating mate...

this thing is coming apart so easy... havent even crc'd any nuts and bolts. had the front guard of in 3 mins i reckon.

the grille is in good nick except for the top where the little square clips are supposed to hold it to the rad support panel, they are all cracked and snapped. im going to clean them all up and plastic weld new flat pieces of plastic on and drill new holes for nuts and bolts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so here is the door, primed up ready for a quick wet + dry tomorrow. a keen eye will note the dent near the lock hole, i didnt worry about it because the nuber plate will cover it and to save time and material

waisted some time getting tools and compressor but it all went pretty smoothly. got a spray gun and supplys from the new auto pro store in o'conner,good shop that one

the top corner where the window frame was all over the place, some primer filler and some gentle tapping seen her pretty smooth. there also was a pretty big dent under where the number plate would be and in the bottom left corner. a couple of taps and she was all good

i dont plan to use any bog on this rig,but if i find some already in it and its done neatly ill leave it

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok,finished the rear door,but i have a problem,when i was spraying the white on a blob of primer came through and landed in the paint on the last coat,must not of cleaned the gun out properly!!i didnt worry because i know i could wet and dry it off,but it must hace soaked into the paint a bit and on my quest to rub it back,i have gone down to the primer again!!! iv never done that before so im not sure what to do. do i sand that section back and re spray then wet and dry to bring it all flush or do i have to re spray the whole thing. advice would be good ;)

anyhow,here it is after a rub. it is nice and shiny but you cant tell from that angle

and also have the guard in primer ready for a block back. going slow but its hard to keep up with the weather going hot then cold to hot again :)

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mmmmmmm, im not having a good time..... nothings working for me,the back door needs fixing,if that blob didnt come through it would be finished,i just painted the guard and everytime there was a gust of wind, little bits of dirt would fall on my paint!!!!!!
even though i dusted the whole joint down......

the spray gun doesnt have a o-ring in the lid so no matter how tight you do it up it still leaks,and if that isnt pissing me off enought i got so angry and frustrated at myself,i couldnt help but laugh just as i was about to put on the last coat,and i ****ing accidently spat on the guard with tacky paint(yes thats how angry i was,i was spitting in angry laughter)

so im sitting there with a cloth trying to get this spit off my nice tacky paint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here it is anyway!!!!!!! straight off the gun,ill wet and dry tomorrow

the most annoying thing is i know i can do so much better, so everytime i walk past it and see a speck or something its going to piss me off, oh well,im not going to start over again,it can stay like that

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Mate to keep dust under control wet the joint down, as long as not to much to damage on floor, works a treat for dust control.
My sheds in the middle of a sand pad wetting floor was all the boy did when he sprayed the ute.
Looking good so far

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok,had the front guard and the small rear barn door rubbed down with 2000 wet ready for a polish, i had them out the back on a table. i threw something out back and it hit the door and chipped the paint in 3 spots and put 2 dents in it..... forget all these pics you have seen,i am starting again from scratch, everything is getting sanded back down and smoothed out again,if it doest work this time i wont be doing it at all and will be selling it.... ****ing upsetting me now!!

and yes i will put the finished parts in a safer place this time!

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok, after the hassles i had i decided to push forward and start getting back into it.
here is a new piece straght from the gun ready for a small touch of 2000 grit then a polish.

all seems to be going well after my little break, after painting this i use the left over paint in the gun to touch up some spots i rubbed through on the guard so that will be rubbed back tomorrow as well

hopefully things will continue smoothly

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, been getting into it again.
bonnet and r/h guard are in primer waiting for paint.

found a small rust hole in the floor so i fixed that and sealed the floor with silicon and put a thick coat of sound deadener to help with sealing and road noise. then i cut some 10mm rubber/foam to size to fit in the foot well and whilst the sound deadener was wet i layed it down and left weight on it so it molded to the shape.

also sealed up around the gear sticks best i could. there were also holes in the top of the sill panels that water would get in from, so i sealed all that up too :)

i bought a new water pump, air con idler pully, swivel hub rebuild kit, immobiliser/alarm

will be buying new window rubbers and headlights next week.

also need new engine mounts and a dipstick.

here is the guard after a rub

and the floor

1 - 20 of 494 Posts