Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. My GQ has done this about a dozen times now.

it will start fine (no slow cranking ect.)
it will run but very rough. and shake the whole car.
then it will stall.

Motor is a TD42. 30,000km since full rebuild.

replaced fuel filter 4000kms ago.

can anyone relate to this or know of a fix?

I usually pull the idle knob out a little and lock it till im ready to go.
after the car has been driven (warm) the issue is gone. starts fine a purrs like a kitten.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,799 Posts
Might be air getting in the fuel system. Start by replacing the rubber fuel line from the filter to rigid line with a clear reinforced PVC line, then look for air. Check all rubber fuel line connections.

Is it parked nose up overnight?

·
Registered
nissan
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh I parked it both was to see if that was the issue. Nose down wasn't as bad but I'm sure it still did it.

It's parked nose very down tonight so I'll know in the morning....

That's a great tip. How big does the hose need to be? Like diameter?
Thanks mate

·
Registered
193 Posts
i would replace the fuel filter.

I changed my fuel filter. after that it would do the same thing if i parked on a upwards facing hill.

It would start them stop, them once reprimed would run as normal.

Change the fuel filter never another problem. that was 35000 k ago

·
Registered
nissan
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I parked the patrol nose down 2 nights in a row. And it had no problems running after being started.

I don't believe it's a glow plug related problem. Because it would wind over and over before actually starting..

So. I will change the filter again this service. (1000ks away). And see if that helps.

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
hey

hey mate, it definitely sounds like u have air in the system somewhere. u should re prime the filter and see how u go. just pull ur feed line off and pump the pump on the filter till fuel comes out then put line back on and see how ya go. sorry if thats a stupid bit of advise haha hard to know what goin on when ur not actually there but yeah just trying to help:) give it a go anyways if ya want

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
me again

you could also have a bit of **** in ur tank thats blocking the pick up, or maybe even ur fuel pump if its a petrol. but yeah good luck

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,089 Posts
So I parked the patrol nose down 2 nights in a row. And it had no problems running after being started.

I don't believe it's a glow plug related problem. Because it would wind over and over before actually starting..

So. I will change the filter again this service. (1000ks away). And see if that helps.
Went through this several years ago, starts and runs rough, roll out driveway and point nose down, idle picks up and runs fine.

Fuel breather was blocked causing a low pressure in the tank which draws the fuel back and draws in air from poor sealing fuel line hose's. So check the breather under the plastic cover behind the r/h rear wheel and replace any old fuel lines and clamps. Hope that sorts it for you.

cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How do I bleed it jeffs5? Crack an injector?

I've also cleaned that filter/ breather it was clogged full of sand and dirt. It was starving for fuel at around 3000rpm but after a clean it was all sweet...

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,221 Posts
Bleed at filter, pump till tight release white wing nut till fuel only no bubbles, Then have someone pump at filter and bleed at IP as in Pics.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not yet. The car is in getting a new rear bar fitted, so won't have it back till later tonight.

It did have 2 rubber filters but can't remember if they came with it or if they were the old ones.

Might have to change them again. Might not have been seated properly?

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,221 Posts
Not yet. The car is in getting a new rear bar fitted, so won't have it back till later tonight.

It did have 2 rubber filters but can't remember if they came with it or if they were the old ones.

Might have to change them again. Might not have been seated properly?
Yeh make sure the rubber ring comes off with the old filter and feel up under the filter head to make sure its not stuck there, on the new one give the rubber a smear of oil before fitting, Then bleed at filter and IP, Should be right then.:) Another thing is the rubber O-Ring on the water switch on the bottom of filter, Take the O-Ring into an auto shop and get a new one aswell. They should come with new filters but dont.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My old mans '93 GQ ute had similar probs, ended up being small crack in filter head, if parked nose uphill, would drain back to tank, had to bleed each time to start again, took Cooma Diesel a while to find the problem, after market filter head, and full diesel service, went like a tank

1 - 20 of 21 Posts