Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Static on radio when fridge runs

5K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  walkal 
#1 ·
As the title says,when the fridge motor starts I get static on the radio and only on AM band.:(
The fridge is a DZ50 waeco and is wired straight through to the second battery.
Does anyone know of what could be causing this and how the hell I can fix it.:confused:
It only started after I had a new radio fitted its a sony head unit.
Thanks in advance

Wayne

#3 ·
No it does not change with the revs.
The static starts when the motor on the fridge is running and you cant hear anything on the AM band at all while the fridge motor is going.
It is earthed back to the aux battery.
I have not check the earth on the radio as yet but will do that this week sometime.
Thanks

Wayne

#4 ·
As said before check all the earths on radio and fridge.Especially the head unit you just had fitted. On the aux battery make sure you earth it down to frame and not relying on a twin + & - wire from the primary battery. It may be worthwhile fitting a suppresor in the radio supply cable. Car radios are only made to absorb the interference from most basic car orientated 12v equipment. The other problem may be the RF suppresor in the fridge may have gone tixs up and your old head unit could cope with it but the new one cant.
Did you post on 4x4galore? If not somebody else has the same problem.
Gary

#5 ·
if all else fails, id be running new positive and negative lines to the radio straight to the battery (dont forget a fuse) and still use the accessories standard wire.

also id be hooking your fridge up directly to the battery to see if it still does it, maybe your fridge wiring runs past your areal causing interference.

try a heap of different variables so you can start ruling things out

#7 ·
Thanks guys will check all the wiring this weekend.
Gary no I did not post it on 4x4 galore.
Will report back on what I find, hopefully find something

Cheers

wayne

#8 ·
When the head unit was fitted, was the wiring loom from the Sony head unit to the Nissan loom connected by an ISO adapter, or were the wires cut and joined (and how were they joined)? If the latter, then you've probably got some bad connections.

Cheers

Ray

#10 ·
I had a Sony unit previously and a fridge at the back and similarly setup, with no static, so I guess there's something else causing the issue.

Cheers

Ray

#12 ·
Maybe the power cable for the fridge is running along side the aerial and you are getting interfearance from that. Check the antenna cable is running away from any power source as this maybe your cause.

Hoope you find the problem. Good luck

#15 ·
Maybe the power cable for the fridge is running along side the aerial and you are getting interfearance from that. Check the antenna cable is running away from any power source as this maybe your cause.

Hoope you find the problem. Good luck

Have checked the aerial and the fridge wiring and moved the fridge wiring away from the aerial and the damm thing still gives static on the radio.
It never happened with the standard radio.
This has me stumped at this stage but will keep looking for the problem and hopefully resolve this issue :confused:.
Will let you guys know what I find or the fix.

Cheers

Wayne

#13 ·
Buy a fridge without a danfoss compressor ;)

The Danfoss create havoc with HF & some AM stuff too. My resolution was either unplug the fridge (Then get in trouble for forgetting to plug it back in) or replaced the fridge with something that dosent run Danfoss compressors, which is what ive now done.

Try someones Engel or similar to see if you still have the issue, if not, an easy resolution.

#17 ·
Hi guys
Found the problem,well two problems
1-the earth wire was loose its now tight
2-the aerial adaptor was not making that great of connection put a new one on.

So its all fixed now and I am a happy camper :D:D

Thanks all for providing advice.

Cheers

Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.